Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Green Bay Advice

Message Subject: Green Bay Advice
musky23
Posted 11/10/2009 4:13 PM (#408339)
Subject: Green Bay Advice

Thanks Jake
Medford Fisher
Posted 11/10/2009 10:02 PM (#408399 - in reply to #408339)
Subject: Re: Green Bay Advice

Mike, I wish I could help you out a little bit but I've never been out there and this coming weekend will be my first time.
Rick, I understand what you're saying about having respect for those who have come before you/us and found succes; however, I would have to add that sharing knowledge and helping beginners out is a major part of these forums. When Mike writes "PM me any info you would be willing to share and thank you in advance!", I believe he is showing respect by saying that he's only looking for info people are willing to share and would like to give him in order to help him and his friend get on a fish for the weekend. It all comes down to your opinion on this topic and I'm sure everyone's is a little different. Personally, I don't really care to ever hire a guide; I think taking the time to learn a body of water makes it that much more rewarding. Also, you will find patterns on your own that most others are likely not using; whereas, you probably would not have if you hired a guide.
Anyways, catch a pig this weekend Mike....hope you are able to get your friend a fish.
-Jake
Dirt Esox
Posted 11/11/2009 5:14 PM (#408475 - in reply to #408339)

Musky23,

I hope someone here helps you and you do well! Good luck!
esox50
Posted 11/11/2009 6:51 PM (#408490 - in reply to #408339)

Good luck, Mike! Hope you and your buddy nail a few out there!
dogboy
Posted 11/12/2009 7:15 AM (#408531 - in reply to #408339)
Subject: RE: Green Bay Advice

I started fishing Gb about 9 yrs ago,
talk about stumbling into a gem, we had gotten some insight to go exploring on our own, found fish way out in the bay, and then got a tip about fishing the river.
pretty much you could google Green Bay muskies back then, and you might find a stocking report, and thats about it. Kinda funny how far its come since then.

We were new to trolling, pretty much took some cranks, casted them out there a ways, clipped on a board and drove around, and we had great success doing so.
as time went on, we became more proficient at trolling, what baits, where, all that good stuff. year after year better and better,
believe it or not, even had a 13 and 15 fish day out there. ( I know others have had more than that)
but eventually, after learning so much, I think it began to affect us negatively.
the last few years we started to network with buddies, calling eachother when we got a fish, or seen some caught, and really, sometimes its the best thing to get everyone we know on board for the day to get some fish going, and on the other hand, it sometimes screws up a guys gameplan for the day.
before we started talkn to eachother out there, we would set up, fish the style we do, hit the spots we want, and be pretty relaxed about it.
now, with everyone talkn to everyone, and you wanting to be on fish all the time,
you get a report, and it tends to throw you off your game.
essentially chasing someone elses dreams. we hear of a fish or two in U-bay, we go running, seems im more of a scatter brain out there now having fished a lot of that water. too many spots, oh so little time.
I dont know what it is, but the last 2 years out there have sucked for me, get some fish here and there, but nothing like I used to, multiple fish days were the norm. 1-2 fish in a day was somewhat disappointing in some respect. knowing we couldve done better is what im getting at. now id be happy to get those 1-2 fish days. Once i started fishing how everyone else was fishing, well, I started getting lesser results.
Anyway, the point im trying to make, is that learning a body of water for yourself, and the way you fish, in my eyes is the best thing you can do. fishing how someone else tells you to doesnt always work out.
The best thing to do in your situation is do a little homework, guessn read some reports, pump yourself up a lil bit, head out there and look for the boats. ( you cant miss them!) hehe
and start playing with whats in your tackle box. obviously it doesnt hurt to grab some shallow raiders, baby DR's, grandmas, whatever else people want to name-drop on, but by starting out and going about things your own way, or how you should think you should approach a body of water, can end up handing you dynomite results.
I cant tell you how many times ive fished a lake for the first time, and had a succesful trip in doing so. isnt that how we all end up revisiting lakes that we try?
Ok, i'll end this now, There is tons and tons of information out there about GB,
and many many guys willing to share it, and if you put a decent amount of time in on that body of water, it will show you some of the heaviest fish you will encounter.
But please do the system a favor.... when you do land that fish over 50 out there, please put her back. Lots of guys will read fishing reports, but skip over the stocking, reproduction, and status of the fishery up there.
I believe it had hit its peak, and we are starting the downward slope.
Preservation is the key to others having success out there.

Good luck to ya!
just_one_more_cast
Posted 11/12/2009 8:16 AM (#408542 - in reply to #408339)

Mike

PM sent
4amuskie
Posted 11/12/2009 9:47 AM (#408547 - in reply to #408531)

dogboy - 11/12/2009 7:15 AM

I started fishing Gb about 9 yrs ago,
talk about stumbling into a gem, we had gotten some insight to go exploring on our own, found fish way out in the bay, and then got a tip about fishing the river.
pretty much you could google Green Bay muskies back then, and you might find a stocking report, and thats about it. Kinda funny how far its come since then.

We were new to trolling, pretty much took some cranks, casted them out there a ways, clipped on a board and drove around, and we had great success doing so.
as time went on, we became more proficient at trolling, what baits, where, all that good stuff. year after year better and better,
believe it or not, even had a 13 and 15 fish day out there. ( I know others have had more than that)
but eventually, after learning so much, I think it began to affect us negatively.
the last few years we started to network with buddies, calling eachother when we got a fish, or seen some caught, and really, sometimes its the best thing to get everyone we know on board for the day to get some fish going, and on the other hand, it sometimes screws up a guys gameplan for the day.
before we started talkn to eachother out there, we would set up, fish the style we do, hit the spots we want, and be pretty relaxed about it.
now, with everyone talkn to everyone, and you wanting to be on fish all the time,
you get a report, and it tends to throw you off your game.
essentially chasing someone elses dreams. we hear of a fish or two in U-bay, we go running, seems im more of a scatter brain out there now having fished a lot of that water. too many spots, oh so little time.
I dont know what it is, but the last 2 years out there have sucked for me, get some fish here and there, but nothing like I used to, multiple fish days were the norm. 1-2 fish in a day was somewhat disappointing in some respect. knowing we couldve done better is what im getting at. now id be happy to get those 1-2 fish days. Once i started fishing how everyone else was fishing, well, I started getting lesser results.
Anyway, the point im trying to make, is that learning a body of water for yourself, and the way you fish, in my eyes is the best thing you can do. fishing how someone else tells you to doesnt always work out.
The best thing to do in your situation is do a little homework, guessn read some reports, pump yourself up a lil bit, head out there and look for the boats. ( you cant miss them!) hehe
and start playing with whats in your tackle box. obviously it doesnt hurt to grab some shallow raiders, baby DR's, grandmas, whatever else people want to name-drop on, but by starting out and going about things your own way, or how you should think you should approach a body of water, can end up handing you dynomite results.
I cant tell you how many times ive fished a lake for the first time, and had a succesful trip in doing so. isnt that how we all end up revisiting lakes that we try?
Ok, i'll end this now, There is tons and tons of information out there about GB,
and many many guys willing to share it, and if you put a decent amount of time in on that body of water, it will show you some of the heaviest fish you will encounter.
But please do the system a favor.... when you do land that fish over 50 out there, please put her back. Lots of guys will read fishing reports, but skip over the stocking, reproduction, and status of the fishery up there.
I believe it had hit its peak, and we are starting the downward slope.
Preservation is the key to others having success out there.

Good luck to ya!

Great Post!!!! Not only for Green Bay either.
Mr Musky
Posted 11/13/2009 10:11 PM (#408747 - in reply to #408339)

Great Post Dogboy! Very Well said!!! And I agree with 4amuskie, you can take that anywhere you fish!!

Mr Musky
muskymasterfred
Posted 11/21/2009 9:42 AM (#409414 - in reply to #408339)

How long do you think the river bite will last? Right up to ice over?
Dirt Esox
Posted 11/21/2009 12:48 PM (#409420 - in reply to #408339)

Muskymasterfred,

Try PMing Cowboyhannah, he likes to help others out with the Green Bay area.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)