Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Manta Hang 10 comparison to the Sea Cow

Message Subject: Manta Hang 10 comparison to the Sea Cow
Jake
Posted 10/30/2009 12:23 PM (#407110)
Subject: Manta Hang 10 comparison to the Sea Cow

Anyone compared these two for action, swimability and "pause for the cause" charateristics?
Muskyfisher
Posted 11/2/2009 6:24 PM (#407461 - in reply to #407110)
Subject: Re: Manta Hang 10 comparison to the Sea Cow

The hang 10 has a way better glidding action i couldnt get the sea cow to hang or glide like the manta. the sea cow seemed to have really short side to side not the sweeping of the manta. hope this helps.
Posted 11/2/2009 8:35 PM (#407473 - in reply to #407110)
Subject: RE: Manta Hang 10 comparison to the Sea Cow

I have not used the Sea Cow, but have tried the Sea Calf. Nothing at all like the Manta.
sworrall
Posted 11/2/2009 9:37 PM (#407485 - in reply to #407110)

How is it different? Please describe how the Sea Calf runs.
Tackle Industries
Posted 11/3/2009 4:44 AM (#407498 - in reply to #407110)

Here you go Jake. I make the Sea Cow/Calf and it does not run like a Manta. As you can see in the below Video links it has a tighter glide. Some like it and some do not. Mine also has slightly oversized hooks and an indented belly. I did this to try and help hookups with the round belly configuration. My 10" Sea Cow is a slow sinker while my 8" Sea Calf is a medium/fast sinker.

Sea Cow Video:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kGp1ncTk3Z8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kGp1ncTk3Z8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Sea Calf Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QucBVQC6aAk

10" Manta Video:
http://www.riverruntackle.com/

Honestly, I do not think any other glide bait out there has a wider glide than a Manta. Some may be equal or close but the thing can swing wide! Right now I made my lures with the center of gravity tight to the middle of the lures which gives it a tight glide. I have a wide glide version with the weights spread out more but I had more Pro "testers" catch more fish with the tight glide version of my Sea Cow/Calf lures last year so I went with the tight glide configuration for that reason. I think it helped some of the musky /pike from missing the bait but thats JMO. Hope that helps.

Posted 11/3/2009 3:27 PM (#407534 - in reply to #407110)

Yes that information helps. Thank you!
curleytail
Posted 11/3/2009 5:20 PM (#407543 - in reply to #407110)

Nice video James. I like the shimmy/roll those baits have. Looks like a nice side-side to me. And why don't they work exactly like a manta...... probably because they AREN'T MANTAS!

curleytail
RiverMan
Posted 11/3/2009 6:06 PM (#407548 - in reply to #407110)

Looks like it has a good left to right action. This is a case where I personally think an "above the water" camera shot with a mixed action retrieve would better demonstrate the capabilities of the lure. I like the underwater shots but it's easier to see the range of actions (wide, narrow, fast, slow, etc.) you can get from a lure if you are seeing it from above..........IMHO.

Jed V.

Edited by RiverMan 11/3/2009 6:07 PM
muskie24/7
Posted 11/4/2009 5:00 AM (#407587 - in reply to #407548)

I do like my Mantas, don't get me wrong! But I think the tighter glide will get bit instead of just looked at! mantas seem to put fish in a trance and they just stare at it! my couple pennies,thats all!

Brian
sworrall
Posted 11/4/2009 7:51 AM (#407601 - in reply to #407110)

Hey James,
Don't be afraid to use the embed code to display the video of interest in your post! Make sure to use thr reply button and not the lower reply box if replying to an existing post.
sworrall
Posted 11/4/2009 7:53 AM (#407602 - in reply to #407601)

Here you go Jake. I make the Sea Cow/Calf and it does not run like a Manta. As you can see in the below Video links it has a tighter glide. Some like it and some do not. Mine also has slightly oversized hooks and an indented belly. I did this to try and help hookups with the round belly configuration. My 10" Sea Cow is a slow sinker while my 8" Sea Calf is a medium/fast sinker.

Sea Cow Video:

Sea Calf Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QucBVQC6aAk

10" Manta Video:
http://www.riverruntackle.com/

Honestly, I do not think any other glide bait out there has a wider glide than a Manta. Some may be equal or close but the thing can swing wide! Right now I made my lures with the center of gravity tight to the middle of the lures which gives it a tight glide. I have a wide glide version with the weights spread out more but I had more Pro "testers" catch more fish with the tight glide version of my Sea Cow/Calf lures last year so I went with the tight glide configuration for that reason. I think it helped some of the musky /pike from missing the bait but thats JMO. Hope that helps.

-----
Tackle Industries, SuperD lures, Musky RODS and more!
http://www.tackleindustries.com
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>
Say "Thank you" with a donation!
http://www.operationmuskie.org
)))><¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸
sworrall
Posted 11/4/2009 7:55 AM (#407603 - in reply to #407110)

Plus, if you upload the videos to upload.outdoorsfirst.com, you can expect more views from dedicated Muskie anglers.
Tackle Industries
Posted 11/4/2009 9:59 AM (#407622 - in reply to #407110)

Thanks Steve. I just need a day to take all of my YouTube videos and put them on M1. I also have about 150 more that Lures In Action did for me and the good ones need to be posted. I am cursed now with satellite internet so my speed is about 50% of DSL now ;( Makes fora long day... I will get them up this winter though and also convert my links on my websites to the M1 video feeds. Thanks
sworrall
Posted 11/4/2009 12:15 PM (#407634 - in reply to #407110)

I use a Hughes net system as well, it's...interesting.
Tackle Industries
Posted 11/4/2009 1:17 PM (#407646 - in reply to #407110)

I have the $80 Hughes satellite internet plan and its not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Just stinks from 7pm to 9pm...
muskyroller
Posted 11/6/2009 8:55 AM (#407925 - in reply to #407110)

I'll chime in. I have problems with my Manta catching the front hook of my leader (doesn't matter what kind I use, wire, seven strand, or floro). So, for me I like the Sea Calf/Cow (have one of each) because it doesn't swing as wide, fouling on my leader. That way I get more efficient casts.

Steve
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)