Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> HUGE lures I get...weighing 5 lbs I don't.

Message Subject: HUGE lures I get...weighing 5 lbs I don't.
itallushrt
Posted 10/2/2009 8:30 AM (#402877)
Subject: HUGE lures I get...weighing 5 lbs I don't.

Can someone explain to me why the weight of swimbaits seems to be going up exponentially with the size of the bait.

Just because a bait is the size of a super mag d or whatever it really doesn't HAVE to weigh that much. The relative density or specific gravity of the material used to make these lures surely can offset any "floating" tendencies that I guess they lure maker is attempting to combat.

Will someone please produce a very large swimbait that only weighs about 4 ozs. Please!

Am I offbase and ignorant?

Edited by itallushrt 10/2/2009 8:32 AM
CASTING55
Posted 10/2/2009 9:29 AM (#402887 - in reply to #402877)
Subject: RE: HUGE lures I get...weighing 5 lbs I don't.

the plastic would probably be junk after one fish,I bought a shallow pounder from the okuma guy on here 2 winters ago and it is a very light bait.I have not used it much but a few casts,my guess is after one fish this lure will be done for.I bring it with me for a throw back lure,but only if I RAISE A MONSTER will I use it.And the biggest fish I saw this summer on my week vac I didn`t even think of using it,DAMM,the lure I raised the fish on was the same color as the shallow pounder.
itallushrt
Posted 10/2/2009 9:54 AM (#402895 - in reply to #402887)

CASTING55 - 10/2/2009 10:29 AM

the plastic would probably be junk after one fish,I bought a shallow pounder from the okuma guy on here 2 winters ago and it is a very light bait.I have not used it much but a few casts,my guess is after one fish this lure will be done for.I bring it with me for a throw back lure,but only if I RAISE A MONSTER will I use it.And the biggest fish I saw this summer on my week vac I didn`t even think of using it,DAMM,the lure I raised the fish on was the same color as the shallow pounder.

why would it be junk? it's the same material.
sorenson
Posted 10/2/2009 10:01 AM (#402897 - in reply to #402877)

itallushrt - 10/2/2009 7:30 AM

Just because a bait is the size of a super mag d or whatever it really doesn't HAVE to weigh that much. The relative density or specific gravity of the material used to make these lures surely can offset any "floating" tendencies that I guess they lure maker is attempting to combat.

Actually, the only time the effect of the specific gravity is felt is while the bait is in the water. Ever try casting a 5 gallon bucket of water? It's specific gravity (with the exception of the bucket) is exactly the same as the water...once in water it is completely 'weightless'!

Plastisols have weight; it is mitigated by it's specific gravity while in water; not while hanging off the end of your rod. I imagine it would be very difficult to make a lure the size of a super mag dog that weighs only 4 oz. out of water, unless it was made out of Styrofoam or something of similar qualities.

Other than that, I'm right there with ya. I hate casting those volkswagens...
S.
CiscoKid
Posted 10/2/2009 11:51 AM (#402925 - in reply to #402877)

The only way to get a larger swim bait lure to weigh less is to have a hollow body. In that case I could very well see the bait being even more disposable than they are now unless there is a special “core” or “skin” incorporated into the bait to make the bait stronger. Similar to the new Castaic Cisco series baits. If something like that was used I am sure the baits would in turn get even more expensive.

The other thing to keep in mind is as these lures get larger their rate of fall will get slower. They fall slower due to more water displacement, and to get the bait to drop faster of course you also need to add more lead (weight).

Really is pretty tough to make a larger lure light unless you use some very special materials, and then in that case they may not either be durable or just plain too costly.
Landry
Posted 10/3/2009 10:35 PM (#403057 - in reply to #402925)

I am not man enough to throw those baits. This is why I throw tubes - I find them really effective and far less annoying to fish. They are light - even the 14 inchers. They can be jigged deep or fished like a jerkbait. And I think their hollowness helps drive the hooks home (less dense plastic to get their teeth into). The twisted tube by red october is what I throw in place of the mag dawg.

Edited by Landry 10/3/2009 10:38 PM
Roughneck1860
Posted 10/4/2009 8:31 AM (#403069 - in reply to #402877)
Subject: Re: HUGE lures I get...weighing 5 lbs I don't.

I'm with everyone else in thinking that some of theses baits are way too heavy. On the other hand though sinc eI started fishing them I've became better outfitted to throw. Throwing a Mag Dawg or Pounder with the right right rod makes a world of difference. Also I couldn't fish the larger baits the way I do or where I do if they weighed less. Like CK says the fall rate of one of these baits due to their size would make it next to impossible to fish a Pounder size bait 15ft down without them being that heavy. I made a shallow Pounder and haven't done nearly as well with it as I thought I would becauase I can't fish it how and where I want to fish a bait of that size. I don't think the companies that make these baits just randomly picked a weight for them, they are what they are for a reason.

Good Fishin'
Tim
muskie! nut
Posted 10/4/2009 11:54 AM (#403085 - in reply to #402877)

I say let them keep throwing those huge baits. Once the ruin their arm, elbow, wrist etc. they will have to become walleye anglers.
Muskerboy
Posted 10/4/2009 6:07 PM (#403115 - in reply to #402877)

LOL! muskie!nut. I'm gunna be a back surgon when I grow up and make a killing off the people that throw the 2lbers. But you can't deney the results.
RWolff
Posted 10/7/2009 7:24 AM (#403526 - in reply to #402877)

I throw 14 inch jakes....cut the lip off pot a screw eye into the center of the lip and add a 2.5 ounce bell sinker........cast out and hold on.. big bertha will find it in a hurry.....set-up under 10 ounces.
johnson
Posted 10/8/2009 6:59 PM (#403779 - in reply to #402877)

need a pic of that big jake with a screweye in the lip that you just cut off.. thanks
Roughneck1860
Posted 10/8/2009 7:08 PM (#403781 - in reply to #403779)

johnson - 10/8/2009 7:59 PM

need a pic of that big jake with a screweye in the lip that you just cut off.. thanks

I was just going to ask the same thing.......lets have a look!!!!

Tim
RWolff
Posted 10/8/2009 7:40 PM (#403790 - in reply to #402877)

will post a pic...just got done putting deerstand out for my dad.....creativity catches fish........!!!
Tim Kelly
Posted 10/11/2009 4:43 AM (#404127 - in reply to #402877)

If you want a bait to sink it had to weight more than the same volume of water. Water's quite heavy.
RWolff
Posted 10/11/2009 7:55 AM (#404132 - in reply to #402877)

Pic to come...second stand up today...we are not talking (sink)...enough weight to tilt the head down and the combination of slight pulls puts it down 0-5 feet.....with a slow suick like rise....easy meal....no tails to replace.
WaterWolfMike
Posted 12/16/2009 3:31 PM (#413059 - in reply to #402877)

itallushrt - 10/2/2009 8:30 AM

Can someone explain to me why the weight of swimbaits seems to be going up exponentially with the size of the bait.

Will someone please produce a very large swimbait that only weighs about 4 ozs. Please!

Am I offbase and ignorant?

The problems often lie in the size of the tail and the action it imparts on the bait. If there is not enough weight in the belly to counter the rolling effect caused by the tail, the bait will turn on its side and not swim naturally. We make a 9.5 " hollow swimbait that weights about 6.5oz, hopefully will have a 5 oz shallow version ready for early next year.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(SZWalleyewebresized.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Perchresized.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments SZWalleyewebresized.jpg (19KB - 116 downloads)
Attachments Perchresized.jpg (37KB - 99 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)