Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Hughes River Jerkbaits in ABUNDANCE!

Message Subject: Hughes River Jerkbaits in ABUNDANCE!

Posted 7/11/2002 12:40 PM (#2305)
Subject: Hughes River Jerkbaits in ABUNDANCE!

Have your feelings if you will on Jim Wilson, the maker of the Hughes River Jerkbait, but they work, and O DO THEY WORK! Problem is, no one can ever FIND them! I just wanted to drop all of you a quick message here to say that I found the place to get them!!! Reese's Country Store in West Viriginia has over 200 baits in stock. I just got off the phone with Roger Park, the owner of the store, and he told me he just got a huge shipment of the baits in, and has more on the way. I don't in anyway support Hughes River Baits, nor do I work for Reese's, but I know how hard people look for these lures, and I know the outrageous prices some of you pay on eBay for them, so I thought I'd pass this info on to all of you!
Roger told me he has 6" and 8" shakers and hugheys, in both stock and custom colors. Regular sized Top Prey's as well as 10"ers. And supposeably he is going to be recieving the new "Alive" baits with new plastic fins on them.
Call them directly (so you never have to wait MONTHS to get them direct from Jim Wilson) at 304/679-3502, ask for Roger or Inga Smith, either of whom can definitely describe to you what seems to be a really wide variety of colors and sizes. Stick a big pig!
*just a side note, I caught 12 fish on one, up to about 28lbs, all before June1st of this year....but then I pitched it into the lake, after the line broke! :-(

Andrew "Slamr" Golden
[email protected]
847/989-9271

Posted 7/11/2002 1:27 PM (#38034)

Thats nice that they have 200 in stock, but what about all those people who ordered long ago and still don't have their baits? Guess it shows how much he cares about the individual customer. I for one will never own one of his baits no matter how good they work.

Posted 7/11/2002 3:53 PM (#38035)

I was on a roll with a post in response to you guys, but then had a little PC melt down, so the nastier words got zapped, which is probably for the best.
In short: don't want to buy one? Don't! Want to buy one, DO! Don't want Jim Wilson in business? Don't buy his baits! Don't want to pay the high prices? Don't buy his baits! It's that easy.
I beg something of those of you who will use this post as a chance to rip on the man or his baits: the effort you are going to put into typing this could be used potentially to find baits of yours that you could auction for ashton on the 20th....or to call that guide you have used for years, see if he will donate a day? Or maybe call up that lodge that your family has stayed at for the last 10 years, and see if they'll donate a day? Just a thought.

Slamr

Posted 7/11/2002 5:32 PM (#38036)

Slamr, talked to Jim Wilson or the shop you mentioned up there for a donation.

I for one will never buy another HR bait as long as Wilson is profiting from it.

P.S. They don't even work, I had one and it seen at least 10 hours on prime waters and not a follow. At that price fish should jump in the boat unhook themselfs and sit on your lap for a pic and back in the water. [:devil:]

Posted 7/11/2002 5:55 PM (#38037)

D'oh! Double post! Sorry....but again, will everyone please chip in however you can for the Ashton Auction! Fight with me on the phone or via direct email if you want to about this, but try to remember the important things in this world.

Slamr

Posted 7/11/2002 5:56 PM (#38038)

TM, please don't make this an ugly fight on the board, and I am sorry that you spent the money you did to get a bait you didn't catch fish on. I have thrown spinnerbaits for the last 3 years without landing a skie; might just be how I work them, the colors I choose, or the time of year I use them. That doesn't necessarily mean they don't work. I am sorry about your feelings for Jim Wilson, my suggestion is that you call him directly, the number is on his website.

Slamr
*and yes I will get a donation from Reese's, and YES I did call Jim Wilson to see if he will. What comes of it I don't know, just left a message, and I am told he is out of town. But I did try.

Posted 7/11/2002 7:19 PM (#38039)

Slamr, i know how you feel about the HR shaker, i have not had the success you have had with them( cause i have not used them as much as you have) but i know their value and how good of a bait they are. You told us about a place where we can cash and carry them and that's cool. Thanks for the info, cause I think you would have been happy to just buy all 200 of them![;)]

Posted 7/12/2002 6:50 PM (#38040)

I was at midwest rod and reel today and they have 2 hr's one 6" and one 8". Still waiting for 4300 dollars in baits.

Posted 7/12/2002 7:32 PM (#38041)

What else is new?

It sure wasn't worth bringning this back to the first page. [:(]

Posted 7/14/2002 1:49 PM (#38042)

I think that it is well worth it to remind newcomers of the potential loss they may realize.

Posted 7/14/2002 6:01 PM (#38043)

If you want to keep this alive, surely this will help. Call that store and ask them what they want for those baits? The retail price in the past and at other stores if they could get them is something like $39/ea. Resses' wants a pile more then $39/ea. The owner of Reeses' and Jim must have some kind of Bubba agreement and we're all getting a new proverbial shaft. Now the only game in town is over charging. These are not Plymouth prowlers where they should command money above and beyond the sticker on the window.

I'm glad I already have my 5 HR's and don't have to play their new game.

Posted 7/14/2002 6:42 PM (#38044)

Lunchie,
I'm sure you didnt read the upper portions of this thread, cause if you did I'm sure you would have called the WitchDoctor to see if he could donate to the Ashton fund.

Slamr

Posted 7/14/2002 8:48 PM (#38045)

Ok lunchie, don't keep us in the dark. How much are they asking per bait? I will not be buying any however.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)