Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Post Lakes (Upper/Lower) near Antigo WI

Message Subject: Post Lakes (Upper/Lower) near Antigo WI
Dave K
Posted 8/26/2009 11:26 AM (#396130)
Subject: Post Lakes (Upper/Lower) near Antigo WI

I have the opportunity to fish theses lakes over labor day weekend. I have done some research and the DNR sites says no muskies while other sites indicate muskies are present in these lakes.

Can anyone confirm there are muskies in these lakes? I also understand the lakes are very weedy. Can anyone who fishs these lakes confirm?

Any general info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave K
Clark A
Posted 8/26/2009 4:34 PM (#396203 - in reply to #396130)
Subject: RE: Post Lakes (Upper/Lower) near Antigo WI

Yes there are muskies present, probably in the same shape Pelican is these days. A lady got an upper 30# class fish last year from Upper Post.
scmuskies
Posted 8/26/2009 5:29 PM (#396213 - in reply to #396203)

There's muskies. Lower Post has a ton more vegetation than upper. Water clarity between the two is also quite different. Upper being very dark while lower is significantly clearer (at least it was last time I was out). Never fished them though.

sc
RIVER HUNTER
Posted 8/27/2009 8:55 AM (#396321 - in reply to #396130)
Subject: Re: Post Lakes (Upper/Lower) near Antigo WI

They do have some ski's but not very many. One thing they do have is a ton of small pike. As far as a fishable population I would not say that it is that good. If I was you I would travel to some of the lakes in the area and fish ski's if you can. You can sure have fun with the pike though.
nwild
Posted 8/27/2009 12:10 PM (#396350 - in reply to #396321)

Not really a fishable population in the Posts, those that are left are large, but when caught incidentally are usually harvested (47 incher two weeks ago). You would be much better off fishing bass, but if you need to throw big baits, at least the limited number are quite large.

Clark...Post is nothing at all like the Pelican fishery.

Edited by nwild 8/27/2009 12:12 PM
sworrall
Posted 8/28/2009 12:02 AM (#396479 - in reply to #396130)

Post Lake has been low density and quality since 1979. It's rare to contact a Muskie there, but if you do, it's a good one. Norm is correct, bass fishing is great there, muskies... not so great.
Dave K
Posted 8/28/2009 9:20 AM (#396514 - in reply to #396130)

Thank you for all of the responses. I am still coming up to the Northwoods but will be hitting other Lincoln/Oneida county lakes in the area.

Thanks again,

Dave K
Muskydr
Posted 8/29/2009 8:25 AM (#396703 - in reply to #396130)

Hey Dave, I grew up fishing Post and the responses you have gotten from everyone are right on the money. Low density for sure but some really big fatheads as well. Here is a bit of perspective for you, they held a two day tournament on Post from the mid 70's to late 80's, in that span of years I remember only two fish being caught during a span of easily 10 years. Trollers really took their toll on the lake back in the day as all fish were harvested. Look at Enterprise lake for a small lake with good numbers and good size structure. Shoot me an email, k, Dave
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)