Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Witch Bay Camp

Message Subject: Witch Bay Camp
Troutwater
Posted 8/11/2009 5:54 PM (#393686)
Subject: Witch Bay Camp

How is the fishing out of Witch Bay Camp on LOTW? I'd be heading there last part of July after mostly muskies, but would probably do some walleye fishing also. I hear it's one of the most secluded places on LOTW and you don't see many other boats all day, especially from other resorts. Anyone have any experience with it?
ChinWhiskers
Posted 8/11/2009 11:42 PM (#393751 - in reply to #393686)
Subject: RE: Witch Bay Camp

Not The worst water that's for sure, one of the few area's of lake of the wood's I haven't fished. Get your self a Fishing hotspots map Northeast section, they have a enough spots marked to keep you run and guning all week. You should get a guide for at least one day. Find one that knows what he's doing. allso a gps is worth the money on Lotw. Good fishing to you I think your going to enjoy the week and the Northern should keep you on edge that's for sure. Marv. ( did you mean Aug. not July )
Troutwater
Posted 8/12/2009 9:03 AM (#393780 - in reply to #393751)

Sorry I meant July for next year. I'm looking at them for a potential place to visit. I always hear about the NW angle and Sabaskong, but rarely hear about Witch Bay.
Musky Brian
Posted 8/12/2009 9:38 AM (#393790 - in reply to #393780)

The fishing should be good, although the rates at Witch Bay Camp are very steep imo...
Troutwater
Posted 8/12/2009 10:00 AM (#393792 - in reply to #393790)

I agree the rates do seem pretty high, but if it's worth it I might want to go check it out. I never hear too much about it though.
Musky Brian
Posted 8/12/2009 10:53 AM (#393798 - in reply to #393792)

I dont think it is worth it, theres plenty of island camps with great fishing nearby for about half of what you will pay at Witch Bay
micah
Posted 8/12/2009 11:20 AM (#393803 - in reply to #393686)
Subject: Re: Witch Bay Camp

The only time I went to Witch Bay was in 1986 so my information is more than a little dated. We were there the week before the muskie opener and we saw a super tanker swimming around off of a little point midway along the north side of the bay. She was swimming around with her fins out of the water and looked like a sea monster. She even broke the surface of the water with her head a couple of times, like she was looking around. I've never seen another fish do that. I was only 10 at the time but my dad agrees it was a monster fish. It is more expensive than most places on the lake, but if that doesn't bother you there are a couple of advantages to fishing there.

1. Unless it is blowing 50 mph out of the east or west you should be able to safely fish Witch Bay. That should give you 3-4 miles of water you can fish in almost any conditions.

2. If you stay in Witch Bay there are very few things to hit. Once you get out into Andrew's Bay that changes. Reefs and islands are good fishing spots, but if you are nervous about tearing up your boat it is one of the better places to fish on LOTW.

3. The water is deep enough in the bay to support decent numbers of just about anything but lake trout. If I remember correctly there is a lot of water around 40 feet deep.
Matt DeVos
Posted 8/12/2009 11:41 AM (#393805 - in reply to #393686)

Troutwater:

I have spent most of my time on LOTW at the NW Angle, but have gotten over to the NE side a bit as well. It's true that you'll find less overall pressure directed towards muskies in this area vs. the Angle. There are fish to be had in Witch Bay, but I agree with the other poster about getting out into and also beyond Andrew Bay. Lots of great water.

Overall, from my experiences (which are somewhat limited in this portion of lake), I say that the muskie densities are lower as compared to the NW Angle, but not substantially so. You can still find some very good fishing. Also, I don't think that you are compromising the upper-end size that you can expect to encounter by fishing this area. Some very nice fish.

Good luck!
Hunter4
Posted 8/12/2009 12:02 PM (#393811 - in reply to #393805)

Troutwater,

I've fished and stayed at Witch Bay Camp twice. The first time was with my son in 06 and I can honestly say we had a blast. My son was 12 at the time and I was looking for a walleye and smallie spot where he could catch fish and enjoy himself on the great lake. I was able to accomplish that and I was able to boat 13 musky that week. Everything about that place was first rate. The food, service and the people who run the joint really cared about making that week the best one of the summer. Pricey, not in my opinion. I'm a big believer in you get what you pay for. It was a week I'll never forget.
Now for the musky fishing I liked it. Like I said the time on the water fishing for musky was limited due to the very nature of the trip. But I was impressed with what I saw and the vast choices of structure. Its very cool place to fish. No I would not shy away from this place at all.
FishHateMe
Posted 8/12/2009 3:18 PM (#393845 - in reply to #393686)

I just got back from a week at Witch Bay last Saturday and my inaugural trip to LOTW.

First - the camp is awesome - the staff, dock boys, wait staff are top notch. Very helpful, great food, etc. The cabins were very comfy - took a day or two to get used to not having toilet/running water in cabin - had to go out back, but it was okay. Both the toilets and showers were kept spotless.

The fishing: incredible water - I could not believe how LIGHT the fishing pressure was. I expected much more. Several times we ventured out beyond Witch and Andrews Bay to the South or North. Easy runs through the French Narrows or North to Moore Bay. All great fishing areas and easy to get away from minor blooms into clearer or darker water. Saw plenty of fish every day, but as is on any lake, the weather really dictated much of the activity and the week I was there, the weather was a little off - cold, windy, rainy - then cool, sunny no wind...

Anyway - I'd highly recommend it. You get what you pay for and I'll be back.

Jeff
Troutwater
Posted 8/13/2009 3:10 PM (#394018 - in reply to #393845)

Thank you everyone for your insight. It sounds like a fantastic camp.
Wally
Posted 9/10/2009 9:47 PM (#399144 - in reply to #393686)

Like others have said, you get what you pay for. I've been visiting Witch Bay for the last three years and it's worth every dime. The service is excellent, the camp and facilities are clean and well kept, the food is good and plentiful, and the staff is friendly and helpful. It's one of the few camps that you don't have to pay extra for a guide, and the guides are excellent.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)