Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> non-levelwind beginner questions...

Message Subject: non-levelwind beginner questions...
STUSHSKY
Posted 7/14/2009 8:08 AM (#388520)
Subject: non-levelwind beginner questions...

hello all,
just unboxed my non-levelwind avet sx 6/4 2 speed with mc cast control. i've never used a non-levelwind before and was hoping for some shortening of the learning curve input for it. the manual seems to be pretty good at explaining the basic set-up of controls and the such but was wondering if there is anything else that those out there with experience with avets in particular or non levelwinds in general would care to pass on even before i chuck for the back yard muskies. anything from initial proper line winding techniques to the amount of line to spool up with (book says to 1/4" of the spool flange which would be about only half filled...does that sound correct) to specifics concerning the proper settings for the mc cast control knob to should i tear down before using to lube or is it good to go from the factory. any input would be greatly appreciated. p.s...it will be going on either a 9' croix legend bulldawg rod or a 9' legend made from the bass mega swimbait blank if that makes any difference...
thanks in advance,
stan

Edited by STUSHSKY 7/14/2009 8:35 AM
saltist user
Posted 7/14/2009 2:58 PM (#388633 - in reply to #388520)
Subject: RE: non-levelwind beginner questions...

Hi, The switch to non-levelwind has been pretty easy for me - it is important not to fill up your spool, do leave some room. Not sure exactly how much room I left on mine, start with a little more than normal and see how it goes.

I didn't do anything special when I wound my line, but before you cast let it out behind the boat and reel it up and make sure it stacks nicely on the spool the first time.

I pretty much doubled the weight of all my bucktails that I throw with my saltist, not sure how DCGs out of the box can be burned without doing that. Makes casting a breeze, probably the single biggest thing you can do for your non-levelwind. I also like the highspeed/non-levelwind for cranks alot.
STUSHSKY
Posted 7/14/2009 5:33 PM (#388672 - in reply to #388633)
Subject: RE: non-levelwind beginner questions...

i chased the back yard muskies after filling the spool with backing plus 100lb braid to the manual recommended 1/4" from the top of the spool. it measured out at 32" per crank of the handle on the retrieve compared to the factory stated 36". i suppose that 36" is for a totally full even spool. i then heaved what i would call a slightly longer than normal cast and intentionally kind of let the line build up semi one sided to see how much i could expect it to build up if i were not paying attention. took the braid back off and added more backing to give me about an 1/8" to the top of the spool with the braid back on. that seems to be the max without running into height-piling on problems. remeasured the inches per crank and now it's at a better 34 plus ish. didn't take long to get used to the lever engangement part itself and where to stop for the different pre-set drag levels.
all is well so far...gotta love these new toys!
kevin cochran
Posted 7/14/2009 5:40 PM (#388674 - in reply to #388672)
Subject: Re: non-levelwind beginner questions...

I use the Avets as well. I bought them in 2006 and really love them. It is easier to throw blades with heavier weights. The 1/4in from the flange is perfect. I use 80 Suffix line and have been happy. I do not have a MC and I assume the MC is easier to use.
I use a Diamondback 9 foot rod. I would definately recommend using a rod with a flexible tip. I also have used my Calstar rod with the Avets.
STUSHSKY
Posted 7/20/2009 11:22 AM (#389545 - in reply to #388674)
Subject: Re: non-levelwind beginner questions...

had the new avet sx 6/4 out on the water a couple times now. the power of this reel is unreal. if you wanted to burn db 10's across the surface it is pretty easy with little effort compared to "attempting" to do that with my daiwa lunas. weight wise it's a hair over 15 ounces vs. around 13oz's for the luna. size wise the side plate diameter of the avet is 2 3/8 inches vs. 2 1/2 for the luna making it very easy to palm if you would choose to. the non levelwind part was no big deal but i'm still experimenting with dialing in the cast control feature for various baits. i tried throwing larger crankbaits and big plastics as well and as long as i kept good pressure on them thoughout the retreive it worked great for those too. if i were a right handed reeler i may have purchased a trinidad or saltist before now but since i found that i was able to get this avet in a left handed model and that it is made in the USA it was the perfect fit for me. it being a 2 speed (6:1 and 4:1 ratios ) is a nice feature as well. cabbagekeyrodandreel.com / call and talk to eddy.

Edited by STUSHSKY 7/20/2009 11:35 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)