Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Pro Pounder Question

Message Subject: Pro Pounder Question
Mr Musky
Posted 6/29/2009 9:50 PM (#386323)
Subject: Pro Pounder Question

My new Pro Pounder kicks out to the right on the rip, now on the old style dawgs you could just tweak the body/harness to get it to run straight, but with the three piece tail system or whatever they have in there I am having troubles tweaking it and still cannot get it to run straight, anybody else run into this problem? Any suggestions?

Mr Musky
Posted 6/29/2009 10:17 PM (#386328 - in reply to #386323)
Subject: RE: Pro Pounder Question

Hopefully they still make the original pounders with the one piece wire shaft? I too like to be able to bend the bait. Anybody know if you can still get them with the original harness?
cast10K
Posted 6/29/2009 10:21 PM (#386329 - in reply to #386328)

Seems to me I heard they are still making solid wire model... do a search on this forum that's where I read it.
AWH
Posted 6/29/2009 10:26 PM (#386330 - in reply to #386323)
Subject: Re: Pro Pounder Question

The Pro Dawgs are just an addition to their lineup of Bulldawgs. They haven't discontinued their standard harnesses. I haven't used any of the Pro Dawgs yet. But I have been told that they can be tuned.

Aaron
kyle@bigwoodmuskylur
Posted 6/29/2009 10:27 PM (#386331 - in reply to #386323)

As far as I know they are still making the solid wire model. They should not be too hard to find. I have several of the solid wires in stock.
curleytail
Posted 6/29/2009 11:23 PM (#386342 - in reply to #386323)

They do make the solid wire ones still...I have one and saw several at the MN musky show. But, the question was is there a way to tune the Pro Dawgs. I wondered this myself, and it kept me from buying any until I heard some reports on them. One of the guys at the MI booth told me that they have to run straight, because "you can see how straight they hang." We all know it doesn't take much of a bend at all for them to run a little crooked, and I don't think you'd be able to "see" it enough to know if it would run straight or not.

Sorry for the little rant. Is there any way to tun the Pro Dawgs to track straight or to walk the dog like the solid harnesses?

curleytail
AWH
Posted 6/29/2009 11:48 PM (#386345 - in reply to #386323)

I was just looking at some of the more transparent Pro Dawgs as you can see the internal harness in these. In looking at them, I have to believe they can be tuned. The front half and the back half still appear to be solid wire and you should be able to bend these portions without trouble. However, there is a coil here where you might have to work on it a little more than the older dawgs to bend it. These two sections are linked together by a third piece to make it almost a jointed, more flexible harness. This portion is about 3/4" and about half way between the front and back hook. It's likely that bending at this point will not have much effect as you aren't actually bending the harness, but moving the part of the harness that is "jointed" and meant to move without really adjusting the harness itself.

Hopefully this made at least a little bit of sense....

Aaron
cast10K
Posted 6/30/2009 12:54 PM (#386447 - in reply to #386345)

Has anyone tried bending the line attachment? Kind like tuning a crankbait? I have a pro dawg but mine runs straight.
kurt
Posted 6/30/2009 1:20 PM (#386449 - in reply to #386447)

My buddy and I could not tune his ProDawg at all. Stick with the new harenss dawgs and make sure you buy the ones with the SuperD coil harness in them or just buy a SuperD or Shack Attack swimbait. JMO
Kurt
SpencerBerman
Posted 6/30/2009 2:37 PM (#386464 - in reply to #386323)

The prodawgs are meant to be a new twist to the bulldawg and not at all a replacement. They are still going to be making both the straight and Pro models. As for tuning the prodawgs you need to bend the front (head) of the bait. Behind the top hook is all jointed and cant be bent however from the top hook forward is all solid and with some effort it can be bent. Hopefully that solves your problem.
JimtenHaaf
Posted 6/30/2009 2:49 PM (#386470 - in reply to #386323)

If you all decide you don't like your pro dawg/pounders, PM me. If the color is right, I'll buy them!
curleytail
Posted 6/30/2009 2:51 PM (#386472 - in reply to #386464)

SpencerBerman - 6/30/2009 2:37 PM

The prodawgs are meant to be a new twist to the bulldawg and not at all a replacement. They are still going to be making both the straight and Pro models. As for tuning the prodawgs you need to bend the front (head) of the bait. Behind the top hook is all jointed and cant be bent however from the top hook forward is all solid and with some effort it can be bent. Hopefully that solves your problem.

So to tune the Pro Dawgs you need to bend the large single top hook? Can this be done on the spot with bare hands? Seems like a pretty stout hook. Don't want to sound like I'm knocking them, just want to know. Some of those Pro Dawg colors are pretty cool.

curleytail
JimtenHaaf
Posted 6/30/2009 2:56 PM (#386477 - in reply to #386323)

I think he means between the front hook and the eyelet.
SpencerBerman
Posted 6/30/2009 5:19 PM (#386503 - in reply to #386323)

Jim is right you need to bend it between the top hook and the eyelet. It can be done by hand but its definitely not as easy as bending the standard Bulldawgs. From my experience most all of the Pro Dawgs run true right out of the box but maybe after a fish or two or on maybe the occasional dawg out of the box may run to the side. In this case an adjustment needs to be made.
curleytail
Posted 6/30/2009 6:16 PM (#386514 - in reply to #386323)

I see. Thanks guys!
Mr Musky
Posted 6/30/2009 9:34 PM (#386544 - in reply to #386323)

Thanks for your help guys, i'll give that a shot on Thurs.

Mr Musky
Posted 6/30/2009 9:56 PM (#386549 - in reply to #386323)

when buying a pro dawg...just make sure the internal harness is straight in the body. just flip it so you can see the bottom and look how the hook hangers line up. I absolutely love the new pro dawg.
SpencerBerman
Posted 7/1/2009 6:30 AM (#386581 - in reply to #386323)

Good points as well. I especially agree with that second about loving pro dawgs!!!
curleytail
Posted 7/1/2009 9:04 AM (#386593 - in reply to #386323)

Bringing this back up to the top. What's the difference in action between the Solid/Straight Dawgs and the Pro Dawgs?
Thanks,

curleytail
Posted 7/14/2009 8:46 AM (#388527 - in reply to #386323)

Can someone describe what the new harness system in the Pro Dawg is all about? I heard they are going back to Sevenstrand material in the body of the bait?? If so, what lb. test? I used to re-rigged all my old Sevenstrand model dawgs because the wire broke at the most inopportune times!

Brian
AWH
Posted 7/14/2009 10:42 AM (#388564 - in reply to #388527)

Here's the description of the internal harness, per Musky Innovations.

"New jointed trade marked harness that brings back the flexibility like the original Bull Dawg but keeps the wire strength of solid wire. They act like the 7 strand dawgs without the 7 strand. More rubber around the head to prevent lead pop-out and more wire coils on the inside to keep the harness in place. With the added flexibility, they have a much more erratic action in the water with a lot more belly flash."

Aaron
Posted 7/14/2009 11:00 AM (#388574 - in reply to #386323)

So, if it's not Sevenstrand, though acts like Sevenstrand, what is it??

Brian
JRedig
Posted 7/14/2009 11:11 AM (#388576 - in reply to #386323)

Jointed single strand.
Fixin Dawgs
Posted 7/14/2009 12:26 PM (#388590 - in reply to #386323)

Couple things for the low budget DIY guys or on the water tuners - I have an original solid wire harness dawg that is 7 years old and still going strong, I'm sure the harness will snap one of these days just due to all the bending and tuning over the years - I've used leader wire to connect the split rings holding the two bottom hooks on in case this happens.

You can also use bucktail wire to straighten up 7 strand dawgs that don't run right by running it lengthwise through the middle of the dawg to straighten and tune sections that are bent, crooked, or warped. Like I said, low budget stuff that will allow you to use baits that don't work or fix baits you really like.
JBush
Posted 7/14/2009 12:45 PM (#388593 - in reply to #388590)

Hope I'm not hijacking here but I had a Q about the front hook on the Pounder. It fouls into the nose of the Dawg or onto the leader very often, almost always after I've put a couple big pulls/rips on the bait or let in sink extra. My mag Dawgs (regular and shallow) hardly ever do this. My Pounders (I have 5 now) all do this regularly. They run straight, which is good. Maybe a little wander or 'lean' on a few of them. I've seen guys shrink tube that front hook to keep it a little more rigid and out of trouble. I had 9/0s on them and they fouled the worst. I went back to the little roundbend hooks the Dawg came with but not much better. Those hooks look way too small also (lots of guys I've talked to here upgrade the hooks). Any tips for working the Pouder different to beat fouling or rigging tips? I go straight to the lure with a splitring. Thanks.
AWH
Posted 7/14/2009 1:02 PM (#388600 - in reply to #386323)

JBush, other than shrink tube like you mentioned, you could also stick one point of that front treble into the belly of the bait. This will keep it from swinging and catching on the nose.

Aaron
JBush
Posted 7/14/2009 1:13 PM (#388601 - in reply to #388600)

Oh yah, I forgot to mention that! I've gashed out the belly pretty good hooking the treble there, not much meat left to hold onto. It lasts a couple casts then pops out. I'll give the shrink tube a good run this wknd, thanks for the reply AWH.
And yes, pike in the 30-35" range jump all over the Pounder. I've been throwing it a lot this year and the confidence is growing every time out. Just a matter of time before a muskie nails it, its a fun lure to fish. Boy, is there ever a difference in rubber from one Pounder to the next too! All but one of mine I bought used. The rubber ranges from so-so firm to almost like friggin Jello on a hook. If that lake has 44/45" muskies in it Pounders will get hit, fish a lot smaller than that hit them for me so far. But we all know about those dumb Cdn pike

Is there a shallow version of the Super Mag Dawg? That'd be a sick bait too. To tell the truth I like the Shallow models a lot better.

Edited by JBush 7/14/2009 1:15 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)