Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Mono Filament Leader Questions

Message Subject: Mono Filament Leader Questions
LELURE
Posted 4/5/2009 10:23 PM (#370487)
Subject: Mono Filament Leader Questions

I would like to make my own Monofilament Leaders.

Problem I have always had is the " SNAPS " lasting about 3-4 days depending on usage, they get wore down, I have had plenty break, luckily only throwing baits.
So basically I just got to throw a perfectly good musky innovations (only ones i have found i like) away because of a worn Snap. And lets see $6 mail order $10 reeds.

I think the only solution is make my own leaders. Used to make wire ones many years ago.
Unless someone has a workaround solution for the Snap Issue that I can't think of.

Can someone give me idea as to what tools I will need ?
Where to purchase ( rollie thornes ect) ?
And what the best Brand Manufacturer at least for snaps ?

This Would Be Helpful !!
TG

Chibigboy
Posted 4/6/2009 9:05 AM (#370524 - in reply to #370487)
Subject: RE: Mono Filament Leader Questions

Stringease or sampo with a coast lock closure. Never have had one open, fail, come apart, etc.....
muskie! nut
Posted 4/6/2009 12:31 PM (#370570 - in reply to #370487)
Subject: Re: Mono Filament Leader Questions

Only "3-4 days" on a snap??? You've got to be kidding. You must be changing baits more than fishing. Even the good snaps will last a few months with heavy usage. Maybe you had better go to a solid rig and with a attached split ring on the nose of the bait? I think Stealth leaders make those kind.

If you do go with making your own, I would also advise not use mono filament rather go with fluorocarbon instead. You can tie some of that stuff depending how thick it is. I would also suggest using Stringease if you decide on using a snap.

Edited by muskie! nut 4/6/2009 12:32 PM
reelman
Posted 4/6/2009 12:40 PM (#370572 - in reply to #370487)

My problem is leaders kinking long before the snaps go bad on them. I usually end up cutting the snaps and swivels off and making a new leader with the same snaps and swivels.
Sam Ubl
Posted 4/6/2009 12:57 PM (#370577 - in reply to #370487)

I use Seguar Flourocarbon with number 4 snaps and ball-bearing swivels. I usually tie them about 18" - 20" long.

One thing to remember when tying is that 80lb. - 100lb. Sequar is thick, so when you're tying your knot, three loops with the basic fishermans knot is about all you need, and really, all that you'll be able to pull tight. I use a leather glove and wrap the line around my hand to pull, while pulling the loose end with a pliers. You can't do that the entire time though, just till it gets a little snug, then I push the knot down to the eye of the swivel and try to tighten it a bit more. Leave a 1/3" of the loose end when you clip it too, otherwise the diameter of Flourocarbon could potentially cause the knot to loosen/weaken. Don't be cheap when you buy the snaps/swivels either. . . Or you could be out a $25 lure and a X" - Xlb. fish.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)