Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Spider Wire or Equivalent Questions

Message Subject: Spider Wire or Equivalent Questions
LELURE
Posted 4/5/2009 9:53 PM (#370479)
Subject: Spider Wire or Equivalent Questions

Anyone know where Spider Wire 80lb can be purchased in Bulk, like 1000ft spool ?

What would be the Equivalent to Spider wire, Not Ropey or Stiff. ?

Any line suggestions (not monofilament) (80lb) for use in small reels, such as Shimano Curado types ?? some lines dont seem to work as well as others in this reel.

Any suggestions would be helpful
TG

reelman
Posted 4/6/2009 10:43 AM (#370546 - in reply to #370479)
Subject: Re: Spider Wire or Equivalent Questions

Rollie & Helens stocks 300yd spools of SiderWire in there catalog and if you call them you could probably get an 1100yd or 2200yd bulk spool of it.
STUSHSKY
Posted 4/6/2009 11:36 AM (#370557 - in reply to #370546)
Subject: Re: Spider Wire or Equivalent Questions

for what it's worth...i used the the 80 spiderwire ultracast green and yellow versions last season and i really liked it compared to others i have tried in the past, quiet and very dry, except for the fact when i was spooling it initially under a very tight gloved grip it actually bound up in my fingers meaning that the strands actually unwound / separated and formed a ball which would not loosen up / spring back until i released the tight grip i had on it! anyone else out there experience that? even with that being said, it performed on the water very well and i stopped stopped in my local cabelas last week only to find that they are no longer stocking the ultracast in-house and what they had left was in the bargain cave at about 20% off! because of what i described above? who knows. but they didn't have the 65lb green or yellow that i wanted to replace the ultracast invisibraid i used on my light-weight bait rod and reel. i didn't like the 65lb invisibraid at all as it seemed a totally different line compared to the green or yellow ultracast in that it seemed to have no "coating" at all on it and it got clothy / fuzzy pretty quick. so back to the racks and looked at the berkely fireline braid. after holding 4 other brands side-by-side i was amazed at how much thinner the fireline 80lb was compared to all the rest! it also seemed to be a much tighter / solid weave than all the others although just a bit stiffer. i spooled up with the 80lb fireline on three of my combos (the strands did not unravel in my fingers like with the ultracast) and tried them this past weekend and it performed better than the ultracast or any others i had tried in the past! actually i am more at ease now with my light-weight set-up (shimano curado 201dhsv) especially since the diameter of the 80lb fireline seems the same as the diameter of the 65lb ultracast! one weekend does not tell the tale but unless something "happens" down the road after using the fireline for a while i have found my new line of choice. just my $.02...

Edited by STUSHSKY 4/6/2009 11:59 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)