Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> lightest line for musky.

Message Subject: lightest line for musky.
fish4musky1
Posted 4/5/2009 7:16 PM (#370426)
Subject: lightest line for musky.

okay so i have been fishing a river for muskies but mostly catching bass. i have been using my muskie gear and it takes the fun out of the occasional bass. i am looking to use one of my heavier spinning outfits and just using heavier line. i was thinking about 20-30 lb power pro would be good? i moslty use small walleye/bass crank baits and small bucktails.
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/5/2009 7:28 PM (#370432 - in reply to #370426)
Subject: Re: lightest line for musky.

You could just go bass fishing with bass gear and put the "fun" back into it. Though I don't find bass all that fun. You already know where the bass are, so I'd think you'd be better off just going with bass gear.
Targa01
Posted 4/5/2009 7:45 PM (#370435 - in reply to #370426)

I did a similar set up with a lighter action rod and spinning reel for my wife and used 30# Tuffline XP and it worked just fine. I gave her baits with lighter wire hooks and stuff that wouldn't take much backbone to drive the hooks home. I believe the old dacron braids used for muskies years ago was normally rated from 30-50lbs. I think the main reason for such a high poundage line these days is because its so thin that it causes issues on bait casters with the line 'digging in' and can be tougher on the fish if they do roll in it.

I agree with Pointer on this one. You will catch the occassional bass or pike while musky fishing and it's no fight at all but you will be kicking yourself when finally that monster hits boat side and you won't have the power to drive it home.
Tackle Industries
Posted 4/5/2009 7:53 PM (#370440 - in reply to #370426)

50lb IMO. I am up to 80lb-100lb and really do not notice a big difference from running 50lb a few years ago. If anything its easier to get the birds nest out when I screw up a cast.... Plus in fall you won't snap your line as much due to freeze up on your spool. Targa01 has a good point...your entire setup is only as good as your weakest link. Make sure you have good leaders, split rings, hooks, line etc. If everything is 100lb+rated but your line your only as good at that test weight. JMO
James
fish4musky1
Posted 4/5/2009 8:03 PM (#370443 - in reply to #370426)

i was fishing for muskie with my 80lb power pro and using musky lures for the past couple weeks and only catching a couple bass. i decided to try for bass and used my spinning gear and 10lb mono. i was just using a jig and twister and had something big hit and start pulling and it cut me off after a second so i think it was a musky. no im going to use a light leader all the time i just need a better line.
Windburn
Posted 4/6/2009 11:46 AM (#370560 - in reply to #370426)

I fish a warm water discharge, its a multi species area where walleyes, smallmouth, and pike are all in the mix. I use smaller lures with a spinning rod for ease of casting smaller baits in the wind. 20lb power pro with a tie able leader. like tyger leader. It works great doesn't take action away from smaller minnow baits like husky jerks. I normally throw no 10 husky jerks with 14lb tyger leader, take the split ring of the husky jerks helps with action and use a crosslok snap and the end of the leader. This gear will hold up to large fish, I have landed pike up to 30lbs on this setup and quit a few over 15lbs. Check often from fraying, zebra mussels tear up braid. Look in infisherman lots of articles on this leader material and reasons for using this stuff anywhere pike or muskies are present.
IAJustin
Posted 4/6/2009 12:50 PM (#370575 - in reply to #370426)

If you want to use spinning gear 14 or 20 pound fireline would be my choice
DR in VA
Posted 4/6/2009 7:56 PM (#370660 - in reply to #370426)

I think 50lb is a good choice, you could drop to 30, but if you hook a raging beast, you may be in for heartbreak. 50lb will do it in most cases. I think 80 is better...but 50 will do.

DR
fish4musky1
Posted 4/6/2009 8:06 PM (#370662 - in reply to #370660)

well i use 80 on my other set-ups which are baitcasters, the typical muskie gear, but what i need is a line that can be used on a spinning setup that be able to handle the occasional (hopfully frequent lol ) muskie. The river im fishing isnt known for muskie but they are in there and want to make sure im ready if it happens. Illl mostly be using the smaller cranks and bucktials so i can have a chance for smallmouth/pike/muskie/walleye. I was thinking 30 lb powepro would be alright ??? and ill definitely look into the tyger leader sounds like what i need
sbro73
Posted 4/7/2009 6:47 AM (#370714 - in reply to #370662)

50 or 65 Lb Cortland Masterbraid should work just fine!
Windburn
Posted 4/7/2009 9:04 AM (#370730 - in reply to #370426)

If you are using a baitcasting reel I think like others said 50lb of 65lb would be great, like with a flipping stick and bass sized reel. But if smaller lures are thrown I think it would be easier to cast with a spinning rod. Not saying you want to target muskies with a spinning rod. Every day on the detroit river big muskies are landed by guys jigging for walleyes, and yes there are some breakoffs. A spinning rod with braid and a leader will handle a muskie, escepially when you are trying to target everything. I have a 7'6 loomis hot shot rod that I love for this type of fishing, its a little whippy but loads easy and I cast original floaters and small jigs a mile in the wind. Trust me I landed a 30lb pike several years ago, I was wading in waist deep water and that thing hit about 10ft away fought like crazy. Nearly straightend out every hook on my husky jerk. Not to mention all the tail hooked carp landed in a zebra mussel infested area, that is extremely shallow.

Edited by Windburn 4/7/2009 9:08 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)