Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Basic Required

Message Subject: Basic Required
discoii
Posted 3/27/2009 11:44 AM (#368631)
Subject: Basic Required

I must be the luckest guy ever I have been Musky fishing 4 times and caught 1 37" Musky, I am getting ready for the upcoming season and the more research I do the more I realize how much I do not know. I can not afford to buy a couple of dozen lures and the best Rod and Reel. The lake I will be fishing is in Ohio Leesville Lake, Leesville Ohio. It seems like the stratagy here is trolling.

Please make some fundamental recommendations.

Thanks,
Bill C
welldriller
Posted 3/27/2009 1:48 PM (#368652 - in reply to #368631)
Subject: Re: Basic Required

Well, the first thing I would do is get a divorce if you are married.
Then take out a second mortgage on your house. Spend as much time and money as you can, and then spend some more. When you can't be fishing then get on the computer and talk about fishing with other guys.

Or you could just quit while you are ahead.
discoii
Posted 3/27/2009 1:58 PM (#368657 - in reply to #368652)

I can see how all of that could happen, I have fished off and on all my life and nothing compares to landing that 1 Musky. I just need to do smart stuff so I do not waist a lot of money on unprodutive lures and gear that is not required.

whit65
Posted 3/27/2009 3:32 PM (#368667 - in reply to #368657)

You know probably one of the best things that you could do is to join your local Musky Inc. chapter. Local guys fishing local lakes, you get great advice, make great friends and learn alot about your home waters, not to mention all the good that Musky Inc does for fisheries and education. Not that M1st! isn't a great way to get information too, it sure is.
Flambeauski
Posted 3/27/2009 3:49 PM (#368670 - in reply to #368631)

Waste money on unrequired gear? HA! That's half the fun! Here's some things you can't go cheap on: line, leaders, hooks, split rings and hookcutters. If you go cheap on any of those the fish will make you pay.
snaggletooth
Posted 3/27/2009 5:07 PM (#368679 - in reply to #368631)
Subject: RE: Basic Required

You wrote you've been Musky fishing 4 times............so I'm assuming you dont need a rod & reel.
For trolling: try to find a Jake crankbait. (that one has done well being trolled)
They come in several sizes. Any size Jake will work, pick one that matches your rod weight.
You MUST get a double 10 bladed, in-line spinner. It will work casting or trolling. The brand does not matter much. The Buchertail version is a reasonably priced one. Or, watch for one in the for-sale forum on this site.
The Sledge jerkbait is a great, short-line trolling bait. And, thats another one you can cast, too.
Finally, get a tail spinning surface bait. Top Raider, or Pacemaker, both are good.

Those 4 should get you started !!
discoii
Posted 3/27/2009 6:19 PM (#368690 - in reply to #368679)

snaggletooth - 3/27/2009 5:07 PM

You wrote you've been Musky fishing 4 times............so I'm assuming you dont need a rod & reel.
For trolling: try to find a Jake crankbait. (that one has done well being trolled)
They come in several sizes. Any size Jake will work, pick one that matches your rod weight.
You MUST get a double 10 bladed, in-line spinner. It will work casting or trolling. The brand does not matter much. The Buchertail version is a reasonably priced one. Or, watch for one in the for-sale forum on this site.
The Sledge jerkbait is a great, short-line trolling bait. And, thats another one you can cast, too.
Finally, get a tail spinning surface bait. Top Raider, or Pacemaker, both are good.

Those 4 should get you started !!

Thanks for the info Okay here is a real rookie question the reel I have is a Salt water Spinning Rod and Reel Shamano I plan on getting a bait casting reel, what is meant by left handed does that mean the crank is on the left side??
JKahler
Posted 3/27/2009 7:05 PM (#368696 - in reply to #368631)

Left hand does indeed mean the crank is on the left side.

You also need a Believer for trolling. Great lures!
Opie
Posted 3/27/2009 7:27 PM (#368705 - in reply to #368631)

All the locals on this lake will have atleast 1 Sisson #41 in the water when trolling. This is a bass plug but for some reason the fish in the lake seem to prefer it. Alot of guys will replace the hooks and split rings and pin the bill to keep the bait from being torn apart.
allegheny river kid
Posted 3/27/2009 10:06 PM (#368753 - in reply to #368631)

Well if trolling is going to be your forte you need not worry about throwing a ton of money into a rig. Fiberglass rods in 8 to 9ft lengths can be had for $25 to $50 dollars. As for reels, linecounter reels are relatively inexpensive also...I would try to buy used baits first off(it can save you tons)...Grandmas,jakes and so on...Post a WTB add on the forum and see what you can find...Not sure what colors would work out there but firetiger and walleye seem to be hard to beat no matter where you...hope i helped a little
muskylog.com
Posted 3/28/2009 8:35 PM (#368943 - in reply to #368631)

Learn the fish, the patterns, the triggers. Study and analyze what works as well as what does not. You will undoubtedly spend a lot of time on the water, spend the time before hand on applying your knowledge to the map and the given upcoming weather conditions and put together a solid plan.

Happy fishing.
discoii
Posted 3/29/2009 2:51 PM (#369056 - in reply to #368631)

I think I want to get a Abu Garcia reel and a trolling ugly stick.

Your opion please
Muskie Bob
Posted 3/30/2009 10:37 AM (#369205 - in reply to #368631)

Opie's advice is supported by the following.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=2424446&type=story

I believe Sisson lures are no longer made. Since Sisson had a lot to do with Bagley's lures, you may want to ask about other lures similar to Sisson's.

A lure you may want to consider is Bagley's Monster Shad.

I would think a second time about considering Abu Garcia reels. They just don't seem to last like they use to....many, many years ago. I always remember when they changed the 5500 C's.....to junk..... When I see others spend over $100 (more like 200 or more) for a reel only to see it fail within 2 weeks of fishing, I really doubt if I will ever take a chance on buying one of their reels again.

Since you plan on trolling a lot, be sure you have a good lure retriever.
then there is... net, cutters, safety....all kinds of needs.

You would probably be best off by joining a muskie club or meeting someone who muskie fishes a lot.

discoii
Posted 3/30/2009 2:46 PM (#369253 - in reply to #368631)

What would be a good entry level reel for mostly trolling.

Thanks
Sam Ubl
Posted 3/30/2009 3:20 PM (#369269 - in reply to #368652)

welldriller - 3/27/2009 1:48 PM

Well, the first thing I would do is get a divorce if you are married.
Then take out a second mortgage on your house. Spend as much time and money as you can, and then spend some more. When you can't be fishing then get on the computer and talk about fishing with other guys.

Or you could just quit while you are ahead.

You know - I don't think it could have been put any better! LOL
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)