Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> lefty cowgirl reel?

Message Subject: lefty cowgirl reel?
kevin cochran
Posted 2/19/2009 5:02 PM (#361629 - in reply to #360640)
Subject: RE: lefty cowgirl reel?

The Avets MXJ are made in a left-hand retrieve. You can contact charkbait and they can get you one. I went with the 5.8:1 MXJ and not the two-speed because the two speed is about $100 more. Not much difference for the money.

The SX compared to the MXJ..... The SX is a pretty tiny but powerful reel. The MXJ has a greater line pickup per turn of the handle in comparison to the SX. You can call the company to get the specifics as far as inches per turn. I would compare this model to a Trinidad narrow spool reel. It has a larger handle and is much easier to pull in big blades.

The ONLY thing that I would use this reel for is to pull in blades, ie: 10's-13's or bigger. You need the resistence of the blades to correctly spool the line back on the spool. You cannot use these reels for other baits. The resistence/pull of big blades is needed.

The reels will spool themselves. When reeling in blades you need to stick the tip of the rod in the water about 3-5 inches when retrieving. Do not fill the spool with braid to the top. I spool mine about 1/8in from the edge of the spool. I use Siffix 80lb braid and that seems to work the best.

reelman
Posted 2/19/2009 11:01 PM (#361708 - in reply to #360640)
Subject: Re: lefty cowgirl reel?

HAs anybody used one of these for musky fishing? All I hear are responses about how good they should be but no actual reports. If you have used it for heavy duty casting how is it to constantly have to flip the lever drag back and forth and how free does the spool spin in freespool? Lever drags are notorious for still having drag preasure on the spool even in free spool because the drags are atually on the spool, not in the gear stack like push button reels.
DMcMusky
Posted 2/20/2009 11:49 AM (#361772 - in reply to #361708)

I also have the same questions as reelman. Does anyone have any actual performance comparisons between the Avet's and Saltist, TE's, Luna's, Trinidads, Toriums, or Induron's???

Was getting ready to pull the trigger on a Saltist for strictly burning 10's, but now I'm intrigued with these Avet reels. Thanks
STUSHSKY
Posted 2/20/2009 12:11 PM (#361774 - in reply to #361772)

ok then, since i am trying hard NOT to add a reel specifically for db 10's and want to stay away from abu products, while keeping the reel weight to a minimum and stay HIGHER quality with levelwind, should i just stick with my luna 300L's or step up to the calcutta 401TE or...?

Edited by STUSHSKY 2/20/2009 12:13 PM
muskie! nut
Posted 2/20/2009 3:51 PM (#361804 - in reply to #360640)

Okuma 400LDX with a power handle. That's all you need.
kevin cochran
Posted 2/20/2009 4:35 PM (#361810 - in reply to #360640)

I used the Avets last year for muskies. These reels will only work with blades. If you want something that is all purpose and a lefty do NOT buy this reel. There is no pressure on the spool when casting, the reel is in free spool mode. The reels have a magnetic spool tension to reduce backlash.

I own 401TE's and Lunas. The Calcuttas are the best multi-purpose reel that I have used that is left-handed. I have problems with the instant anti-reverse going out on the Lunas. I have owned many 7001's but they did not hold up as long as the TE's. I have not used an Okuma and probably won't.

If Daiwa made the Saltist in a left-hand reel with a levelwind I would buy it but they don't. If I retrieved with my right hand I would buy a Saltist in a heartbeat.
Chasin50
Posted 2/22/2009 8:18 AM (#362025 - in reply to #361276)

STUSHSKY - 2/18/2009 8:17 AM

kevin / others,
for comparison purposes, after looking at the avet website i see the sx models hold 220 yards of 20 lb having a 5:3.1 ratio and weighs 14.8 oz vs. the mxj model that holds 300 yards of 20 lb having a 5:8.1 ratio and weighs in at 18 oz. with all that being said, we all know we are only going to fill the spool with "x" yards of braid and use "filler" beneath so why not go with the sx that weighs in at 3.2 oz less with its' ration at 5:3.1 vs the mxj at a 5:8.1 ratio? does that bit of difference in the gear ratio going to make that much difference pulling db 10's? if not, personally i would think a bit less in physical weight would be a good thing. secondly, are these reels "specific" in that you would not want to use them for throwing heavier plastics or heavier jerk / glidebaits in addition to the db 10's? thirdly, if the avet is the "way to go" would it be a good or bad idea to get the two speed version for these applications?
thanks,
stan

I feel like I have been sleeping... These reels are totally new to me. How did I not know about this Left handed option... Looks like a great reel. This might make the must have list...

Thanks

Edited by Chadster 2/22/2009 8:23 AM
Joe
Posted 2/24/2009 6:32 PM (#362496 - in reply to #360640)

I've been looking at the Avets and just for curiosity took the levelwind off one of my reels and it didn't seem to be that big a deal. I thought the line went on better jerking it rather than straight retrieve. I think maybe using 65# braided doesn't pile up in one spot so bad compared to if you where using say 100# mono. The other thought i had was that when most people including myself stop the spool and start reeling bucktails and spinners before they hit the water that might be tough using a lever drag. I like the feel of the reel and it might be kind of cool to try one.

Jim
Joe
Posted 2/24/2009 7:32 PM (#362519 - in reply to #360640)

I found an old display model Avet sx 5.3 and there is no cast control on it. With the free spool spinning forever on these reels do you think it will be hard not to get backlash? I'm very experienced with baitcasters but even i get backlash once in a while. Just wondering what others thought.
Jim
jimus
Posted 2/27/2009 5:48 PM (#363161 - in reply to #361629)

Why won't other baits besides heavy resistance lures work for the Avet. Is it just because no levelwind? Why wouldn't the line go on fine without a levelwind?

Jimus
tfootstalker
Posted 7/6/2009 7:21 PM (#387373 - in reply to #360640)

Just spent 9 days with the new Avet MXJ 5.8 lefty MC. I set it up based upon Cochran's recommendations and the reel is awesome. The only thing I might do different is get the two speed since I like to slow roll big blades. You can do it with the 5.8, but you have to think about it. Casting is a breeze and I had no issues with the line going on. The faster you reeled (more resistance) the easier it was to cast cuz the line layed down tighter. The magnetic cast control is awesome. Switch from a supermodel to DCG to little 8s to baby girls by just clicking the dial and you don't have to worry about changing anything with your casting style/thumb. The lever drag is nothing. It took me about 3 casts to get used to it. There are click-stops on the lever so it is very easy. If you need a lefty high speed reel this is it. ***Be sure to order/specify you need the NARROW REEL FOOT or it won't fit into a non-saltwater rod.
tfootstalker
Posted 7/6/2009 7:24 PM (#387374 - in reply to #387373)

Forgot, Avet says this reel has 37"/crank. I can't imagine having anything faster. It already is tough to burn them with the resistance of 37". The resistance is not in the reel, but the hand you hold your rod in. The rod wants to pull out of your hands.
Posted 8/1/2009 8:32 PM (#391798 - in reply to #360640)

I wanted to say my thanks to those who posted on the Avet. I bought the left handed mxl. I had previously used the garcia 7001. To me the real has a lot of power and is yet very comfortable. It didn't take me long to get use to manually flipping the engage mechanism. I also liked the casting controls as well as the different fighting positions on the engage mechanism. I have already boated 10 muskies and numerous pike on the reel. I have been running the reel speed at 3 for maximum casting, but occasionally put it at 4 for those of you familiar with the reel. If the reel lasts the whole season I likely will get some more. I am considering now getting a right hand SX model for a back up reel and for guests.

Thanks again guys.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)