Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Maxxum or Power drive?

Reply New post
Message Subject: Maxxum or Power drive?
Landry
Posted 2/9/2009 10:57 PM (#359875)
Subject: Maxxum or Power drive?

Alright - I had a 65 lb power drive troll motor lined up and I missed my chance!! Now I have 2 options remaining - both are great deals and new. Maxxum 80 lb or Power Drive V2 24 v 70 lb????? I have just sold my power drive and liked it but now I am tossing the idea of a Maxxum around. I never realized that the Maxxum had a "constant" feature and this is useful to me seeing as I often cover water quickly and a constant feature allows me to actually stand fully on both feet and adjust the pedal as needed. What are your opinions and if I tighten the setting on the Maxxum pedal will the Maxxum hold its course or will the motor turn? I am really confused. Add to that I have not sampled the new power drive v2 pedal yet. I need muskie anglers' inputs not bass angler perspectives - they all love cable pedals for quick turning and manouvering around docks...
Please help!!!!!
TJ DeVoe
Posted 2/9/2009 11:15 PM (#359877 - in reply to #359875)
Subject: Re: Maxxum or Power drive????

I ran a Maxxum for quite a few years, I do not believe you'll be able to get the motor to hold it's course. I never tried tightening it up all the way but I'd imagine if you did, that'll really make you work to turn it at all. I'd suggest, if your not in a huge hurry, keep looking around. I'd really suggest the Terrova. It's got best of both worlds of the Maxxum and the Power drive combined. If I had to pick, if your strictly a muskie fisherman, I'd probably go with the Power Drive.
Minn Guest
Posted 2/9/2009 11:34 PM (#359878 - in reply to #359877)
Subject: Re: Maxxum or Power drive????

I have to say go with the 24v 70lb thrust Maxxum. I picked one up accidentally last year, and it was the best mistake that Minn-Kota made. I ordered a 70# 12v motor when there was a big sale going on. When the motor came, I thought that it felt pretty heavy. Upon further inspection I found that they had sent me a Maxxum 70# 24v instead of an M70. I called to report the mistake and the dealer told me that it came from the factory and I should call them. I called the factory and explained what had happened. The guy there asked if I could rig a 24 v system in my rig and I said yes. He told me for being so honest, I could keep it. Every time that I deploy it, I get a good feeling inside about the people that I was dealing with and how nice they treated me. I have always been a Min-Kota buyer, but now I think that I'll have one mounted on my casket. Very nice, powerful motor.
The Dogger
Posted 2/10/2009 11:04 AM (#359936 - in reply to #359878)
Subject: Re: Maxxum or Power drive?

I was brought up on the PowerDrive, and then got a new boat that came with a maxxum, so I decided to give it a shot. I have to say at first my boat control sucked and has taken me a while to gt used to the maxxum. Almost every time I went out fishing I told myself to dump that maxxum and get a PD or a Terrova. When I would fish in a friend boat that has a PD, I couldnt believe how much less work I have to put into staying on course when compared to my maxxum. All i have to say is if you liked the PD and if you used AP alot, then dont switch to a maxxum, you will regret it. I am actually in the process of buying a Terrova this week and will have my maxxum up for sale soon.
Fish and Whistle
Posted 2/10/2009 12:18 PM (#359947 - in reply to #359875)

I have a PD55 and enjoy it. I've heard a lot og guys say that they don't manuver fast ebough, but I have no trouble navigating through the standing timber on Shelbyville. The only complaint I have is with the pedal. I like the slim design, but try to keep them clean. Just a little bit of dirt or build up and it will give you troubles.

Edited by Fish and Whistle 2/10/2009 12:27 PM
erico
Posted 2/10/2009 12:32 PM (#359950 - in reply to #359875)
Subject: RE: Maxxum or Power drive?

I had PD's for 10 yrs, went to a Maxxum in 2007. You will have an adjusment period if you go to the Maxxum with the height of the pedal and controlling it. I haven't tightened down the tension screw, but like TJ, I'm not sure if you can run on constant and track straight. I've had mine on low thrust & constant and only had to occasionally touch the foot pedal. I think there will be too much torque at higher thrust to keep a straight track unless your foot is on the pedal. One issue I do have with the Maxxum is leg fatigue when fishing all day, especially in windy situations. The height of the Maxxum pedal makes it so your standing only on one foot, but using a pedestal seat helps with that.

For me, the plus with the maxxum is the quick response of the pedal and no circuit boards to fry in the pedal (which I"ve had a couple do). I'm getting a new boat in a couple of weeks and will probably stick with the Maxxum.

If you don't need the quick maneuverability of the Maxxum, I'd stick with the PD, it will be less frustrating trying to deal with a new drive type.
Fish and Whistle
Posted 2/10/2009 12:39 PM (#359952 - in reply to #359950)

erico - 2/10/2009 12:32 PM

One issue I do have with the Maxxum is leg fatigue when fishing all day, especially in windy situations. The height of the Maxxum pedal makes it so your standing only on one foot, but using a pedestal seat helps with that.

Buddy of mine has the maxxum, He looks like Captain Morgan coming around the point!
jonnysled
Posted 2/10/2009 12:44 PM (#359953 - in reply to #359875)

havin' that rope is important sometimes ... for everyone who loves a pd there are some of us who will never leave the cable and rope and there are things it can do that the others cannot.
twells
Posted 2/10/2009 12:56 PM (#359956 - in reply to #359875)

In my opinion it depends on the structure you are fishing. I have the Maxxum and wouldn't go with anything but, that is my choice. I have used the power drives and found them slow on the response in rocks, and timber structure for myself. Plus shallow water I can take the Maxxum half out of the water to manuver in tight spot when needed to retrive lures. I won't make a switch bu then again it is just my choice. I have tightened up the screw to try and help out with the constant mode. I still have to adjust on structure when running it this way. The boat control at first is terrible but you get use to it real quick. The next one will be a Maxxum again for me. Just my choice and get what you think feels best for you.
bn
Posted 2/10/2009 4:03 PM (#359997 - in reply to #359875)

What do guys w/ Maxxums do when they catch a fish solo, and need to steer themselves off structure??
IMO the only way to go is a Powerdrive with auto pilot...there are so many advantages to this motor ...can run from the front or back, can "slip" structure much easier with much less dancing on the pedal, can catch a fish solo, put in net, secure net and point out of structure/harms way and put on just enough speed to take you off the structure to unhook/measure/take pics...
When used to it's full potential (which most guys don't do) a powerdrive with AutoPilot will make fishing much easier and enjoyable imo.
mskyhntr
Posted 2/10/2009 4:35 PM (#360003 - in reply to #359875)

I am with Brad 100%! 101 terrova for me!
JeffPaasch
Posted 2/10/2009 4:41 PM (#360005 - in reply to #359875)

I love the Maxxums for many reasons, but the one that stands out the most and the ease of stow and deploy with that rope. I have used PD's and they are a nightmare to pull up if that shaft isn't perfectly straight and well lubed. With the Maxxum, I can grab the rope with one hand as I step off the deck and stow it, where you have to plan in advance to stow a PD. In my opinion anyway.

The most ideal situation would be a recessed pedal like in mnay bass boats so your feet are near flush to the deck. Wonder why no one has done that in a multi species boat yet.

Edited by JeffPaasch 2/10/2009 4:43 PM
mskyhntr
Posted 2/10/2009 5:38 PM (#360013 - in reply to #359875)

Jeff I do believe Triton has the recessed pedal in the 205 and 202 series.
And yes it is easier to stow and deploy the maxxum, but I never really found the pd to be that difficult, when they are new the can be sticky but nothing that wax or pam can't cure. Once you get some hours on them and the shaft begins to turn white color you won't need to put anything on them and they will work without any sticky spots.
Yake Bait
Posted 2/10/2009 5:54 PM (#360017 - in reply to #359875)

I have a 70# Maxxum and have been pretty satisfyed with it. On low speed settings you can set it on a course and take your foot off for short periods of time, while coming back every few minutes to make slight corrections. If you are using the higher speed settings in any kind of chop, your foot will be married to the control pedal using a Maxxum. A butt seat helps a lot to get weight off of your non-trolling foot in those situations because your foot is definately stuck there. Also important to keep your foot on the pedal at all times when running the max speed so the motor can torque out on you. I have often thougth that having more free range around the boat would be an advantage with the power drive but on the other hand I really like the instinctive nature of the foot pedal. I have a pretty good idea of where the motor is pointing by the angle of my foot position.

Probably an advantage not yet mentioned wih the Maxxum is that it is quite reliable being that it relies on a cable and pulley system for steering. No issues with shorts in wiring or motor failures.

To answer bn's question on what to do with the motor when catching a fish, 99% of the time I simply turn it off so it cannot cut my line and I can run around the boat with the fish until it is ready to net. Once the fish is in the bag, if necessary I make a course correction to avoid running up shallow. I can only think of one time where I was blowing up on a shallow rock bar while landing a fish where I had to give the trolling motor the grease shortly after netting a fish to avoid wrecking some stuff. Pretty sure I could move a fish with me if I had to during a fight unless it was right next to the boat.

Landry
Posted 2/10/2009 5:54 PM (#360018 - in reply to #360013)

Thanks guys! I figured I'd get lots of responses to this post. Everyone on this site has always been very helpful:) I have decided to buy the power drive or terrova. I especially liked the "Captain Morgan" comment!!!
Landry
Cowboyhannah
Posted 2/10/2009 9:25 PM (#360059 - in reply to #359875)

Had both an would go with Maxxum...faster response in turning an no drain on the battery to do so...every time you turn with the PD, you are taking drain off batteries. I also like was mentioned earlier about being able to pull on the rope when going very shallow...can pull so just the blades of the motorhead are in the water....my opinion would be Maxxum.
esoxfly
Posted 2/10/2009 10:34 PM (#360071 - in reply to #359875)

Depends on what you're looking for. As has been said, the Maxxum has a faster, truer response, and won't use battery power.

I only switched to the Terrova for the remote control, so I can fish the back of the boat, and still have motor control while I'm landing a fish, as I fish alone. It's nice to be able to steer the boat while I'm hung over the side landing/releasing a fish.
rpike
Posted 2/11/2009 10:55 AM (#360105 - in reply to #360071)

I don't think anyone has mentioned the copilot for the PDs yet. I love that thing! I keep a pedal in storage in case my copilot remote dies, but I never use it. I can steer from anywhere in the boat with no cord to trip on.

I also like the idea that if I fall in the drink while I'm fishing by myself, I can steer the boat back to me. Hopefully, that can stay in the "nice idea" department and not the "actual use" department!
esoxfly
Posted 2/11/2009 1:40 PM (#360125 - in reply to #359875)

Um....I mentioned CoPilot in the post above your's....;-)

It does rock, but I do keep the pedal on the boat just in case....
bturg
Posted 2/11/2009 8:19 PM (#360197 - in reply to #359875)

Side note: all the Ranger Multi-species console boats now come with a recessed trolling motor compartment std.
Landry
Posted 2/11/2009 9:52 PM (#360221 - in reply to #360197)

Thanks again everyone! I bought the 70 lb power Drive V2. Got a ridiculous deal on it! Now - is the wiring in my 1650 crestliner thick enough to handle the conversion to 24 v. I know I need to connect my 2 batteries in series but is the factory wiring from the trolling motor outlet to the batteries okay? And - do I need the minn kota 60 amp breaker or can I just swap out my fuse and put in a stronger one?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)