Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> lake swimmers

Message Subject: lake swimmers
B.A.Muskie
Posted 2/5/2009 6:06 PM (#359205 - in reply to #358842)
Subject: RE: lake swimmers

I've seen thoughs meets at a lake ive been too. Didnt bother us to much. But i can see the danger in it.
lpmusky
Posted 2/6/2009 4:18 PM (#359368 - in reply to #358842)

I fish the city lakes in Mpls. I talk to Mpls. fire chief, a simmer out of beach area could be ticketed, at the same time I would be responsble as a boater on the water for the swimmers safty. I fish to fish not watch the safety of a swimmer. I tell the swimmer when they swim near my boat that they ruin a good fishing spot, and take away from my fishing. For me to share the lake is one thing but to be ask to check the safty of a swimmer is that fair?
jimkinner
Posted 2/6/2009 5:10 PM (#359374 - in reply to #358842)
Subject: Re: lake swimmers

The waterways should be open to all recreational users. As A diver,I spend a lot of time in the water. I can see where it is a concern, however. We usually get along with the fishermen, Most of our crew are avid fishermen too, but there have been exceptions. Sailboats are always a big concern, we can't hear them coming. Poker runs are about the only thing I would try to ban.

Most of you are probably familiar with the poker run format. It is common in snowmobiling and offshore race boats. A bunch of boats or sleds roar out towards a bar, slam a few down, and recieve a playing card, then it's off to the next spot for another card and more libations. the first eight to arrive at the fifth marina bar sit and play the hand. They tore right through our divers a few years ago. We were very lucky. Idiots, booze and horsepower are a really bad combo.

As far as the Muskies go, we FEAR NO FISH! A good haymaker will usually let an overly aggressive musky know we are not there to be messed with. I need to get in close - from one to eight feet for a quality shot. There have been misunderstandings. We've befriended some, and made a few enemies down there. If you get cut, you get cut. You can get cut playing hockey, or football too. You can"t be a Sally. Check out the clip.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/watch.asp?id=1084
Pointerpride102
Posted 2/6/2009 9:52 PM (#359415 - in reply to #359368)

lpmusky - 2/6/2009 4:18 PM

I fish the city lakes in Mpls. I talk to Mpls. fire chief, a simmer out of beach area could be ticketed, at the same time I would be responsble as a boater on the water for the swimmers safty. I fish to fish not watch the safety of a swimmer. I tell the swimmer when they swim near my boat that they ruin a good fishing spot, and take away from my fishing. For me to share the lake is one thing but to be ask to check the safty of a swimmer is that fair?

As a boater it is your responsibility.
BenR
Posted 2/6/2009 10:21 PM (#359419 - in reply to #358842)

Very true, if you are driving a boat you had best better be able to see people swimming, period. Other wise you should not be driving a boat.
kap
Posted 2/8/2009 10:34 AM (#359598 - in reply to #358842)

both the swimmer and the boater have the right to use use the lakeas well as everyone else. that being said each party needs to respect the others. may i suggest no night time training.
BenR
Posted 2/8/2009 11:26 AM (#359601 - in reply to #359598)

kap - 2/8/2009 10:34 AM

both the swimmer and the boater have the right to use use the lakeas well as everyone else. that being said each party needs to respect the others. may i suggest no night time training.

I would agree with you there, night time would be pretty foolish...
Pointerpride102
Posted 2/8/2009 12:08 PM (#359606 - in reply to #359601)

BenR - 2/8/2009 11:26 AM

kap - 2/8/2009 10:34 AM

I would agree with you there, night time would be pretty foolish...

I dont think that because they are triathletes means they instantly become idiots. I highly doubt they would do extensive lake swimming training at night.
Allstate48
Posted 2/8/2009 2:27 PM (#359621 - in reply to #358842)

I'm worried about being hit, in our boat, in the summer time, when the big boats from Omaha start up. 600 hundred acres, no hp limit. Let her rip. Doug
rpike
Posted 2/9/2009 12:18 PM (#359771 - in reply to #358842)

I say let them swim. Too many rules is too many rules. My hometown of Minneapolis fines swimmers who swim well outside the designated swimming areas. Mind you, these lakes all have electric motor-only rules; no one is ever going fast. They should be perfect lakes for triathlon training, but the city says no.

Prudent swimmers will not cross the busiest lakes, or they will only do it with a spotter boat.

I think this is sort of like allowing fishing boats near the shipping lanes on Green Bay, the St. Lawrence, or even the river channel in the Mississippi. It's up to us in the small boats to not get run over by the big boats.
rocket
Posted 2/9/2009 2:07 PM (#359792 - in reply to #359771)

rpike - 2/9/2009 12:18 PM

It's up to us in the small boats to not get run over by the big boats.

That is an interesting view point on the whole liability debate. If it is up to us in the small boats to not get run over by the big boats, does that same logic trickle down to where it is up to the swimmer to not get run over by the small and big boats?

rpike
Posted 2/9/2009 4:12 PM (#359811 - in reply to #359792)

Legally, it is probably up to the small boats to not hit the swimmers. Boats are faster and more maneuverable than swimmers, so it's up to the boats to not hit swimmers. Likewise, small boats are more maneuverable than freighters and barges, so the big boats have the right of way.

As a practical matter, the little guy (swimmer or small boat) is likely dead in the event of a collision, so it's up to the little guy to not get hit.
rocket
Posted 2/9/2009 8:57 PM (#359854 - in reply to #359811)

rpike,
I agree with you that the liability would fall on the small boats. That is why I would not support swimming in open water without postings, spotter boats, flags, etc... Something that tells the boaters that swimmers are in the water; not they might be in the water, but that they are actually in the water.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)