Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> size of rubber baits

Message Subject: size of rubber baits
deer hntr
Posted 10/6/2008 9:48 PM (#339566)
Subject: size of rubber baits

i've read a lot of posts that say we were using pounders, 11'' curly sues or mag dawgs. i've always wondered if the size of a bait made a difference? since its fall and i going to be buying a few rubber baits like the curly sue dawgs or the mag super d's. i was wondering what size works best for those lures? i can throw everything except pounders. i usually but the 9 inch bulldawgs but was wondering if i should start to get a few bigger baits. thanks for any info
jasonvkop
Posted 10/6/2008 11:58 PM (#339584 - in reply to #339566)
Subject: Re: size of rubber baits

i would get some bigger baits without a doubt. I use the MagSuperD's as the action is really nice and they arent very expensive. I bet you will see the size of your fish go up if you start fishing these bigger baits.
Tackle Industries
Posted 10/7/2008 8:42 AM (#339609 - in reply to #339566)

Of course my MagSuperDs But if you want a good BIG bait try soem of Shack Attacks 11" adn 13" models. They are rock solid and they have produced some nice fish! IMO I think smaller works better in spring and then the upper sizes work better in fall when the big mamas are feeding for the winter. I have been hearing of a lot of figh caught on the smaller 5"-7" lures too in the last month. I try to suggest what the pro guides do and a lot of those guys/gals fish with big baits in fall. Many of them have more hours on the water in two weeks than I do in two years so I usually spew out what they say to be honest I also have a lot of custoemr interaction on my lures and I sell everythign from 5" to 20" lures and in fall I get more positive reports on the big lures.

JMO
James
knooter
Posted 10/7/2008 4:43 PM (#339686 - in reply to #339566)

Big is good in the fall, but if you're having trouble physically throwing the pounders and such, don't worry about it. I've done well on shallow mag dawgs and reg dawgs over the years late into the fall, and size doesn't seem to matter on the metro lakes I fish. If the lakes you fish have a predominantly perch forage base, don't worry as much about the big baits. Now if there are big suckers, tulibee, whitefish, etc., the pounders would be a good idea. You should experiment with different sized baits on your lakes, and see if the fish show a preference. You may just find that the small baits out-produce the big baits, and you don't have to be killing yourself by throwing everything big. Don't work harder than you have to.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)