Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Dead muskies in Oneida Lake, WI?

Message Subject: Dead muskies in Oneida Lake, WI?
TMRfish
Posted 9/8/2008 10:38 AM (#335199)
Subject: Dead muskies in Oneida Lake, WI?

I heard that 7 or 8 muskies were found dead this year on Oneida lake! Has anyone else heard this? What were the causes of mortality?

TMR
esoxaddict
Posted 9/8/2008 10:41 AM (#335200 - in reply to #335199)
Subject: Re: Dead muskies in Oneida Lake, WI?

Sometimes they just lose the will to live and there's nothing you can do for them... I always wondered if we should talk to them a bit more while we're releasing them, maybe lift their spirits a bit.
sworrall
Posted 9/8/2008 10:57 AM (#335205 - in reply to #335199)

I heard about 2. Then it was 5, then 6, and now 7 or 8. Muskies do die, and for way too many reasons to venture a guess.
muskie! nut
Posted 9/8/2008 11:38 AM (#335215 - in reply to #335199)
Subject: RE: Dead muskies in Oneida Lake, WI?

TMRfish - 9/8/2008 10:38 AM

I heard that 7 or 8 muskies were found dead this year on Oneida lake! Has anyone else heard this?

Maybe you should confirm the 1st question before asking the 2nd?

What were the causes of mortality? TMR

Edited by muskie! nut 9/8/2008 11:40 AM
TMRfish
Posted 9/8/2008 12:20 PM (#335225 - in reply to #335199)

Sworrall - Do you think it was just a couple and it got exaggerated to many more?
Oneida Lake just formed a lake association, primarily because of recent invasion of milfoil. My father was at the first meeting and some people had bought up the dead muskies issue. The folks there mentioned that some dead muskies do turn up every year on the lake, but there were more than average this year. Just wondering what others heard/believed?
TMR
musky23
Posted 9/8/2008 12:21 PM (#335227 - in reply to #335215)

Not to sound like a smarta$$, but I pretty much gaurantee that many die each and every year in that (or any other) lake.
Dave K
Posted 9/8/2008 12:26 PM (#335229 - in reply to #335227)

I would be interested in finding out additional information. I fished this lake earlier in the summer and had an enjoyable experience.

Thanks,

Dave K
TMRfish
Posted 9/8/2008 12:29 PM (#335231 - in reply to #335199)

Of course many die each year. I heard that a lot more than usual were dying (or at least found dead) this year and was wondering if there was anything to it.
sworrall
Posted 9/8/2008 12:45 PM (#335236 - in reply to #335199)

The comments I heard were directed at the Rhinelander Muskie League, and the gent was being 'less than friendly' in the accusation. He was cooking out next to the landing at a grill, if I remember correctly. A fellow at the launch gave my wife a pretty hard time, insisting the 'muskie groups were killing fish'. She assured him all were released immediately and successfully, and we are absolutely certain they were released carefully. There wasn't 7 caught during league on that lake; I think it was only a couple and I personally witnessed one. the fish was held in the net at boatside until we got there, probably 2 minutes in the net, measure, and sploosh.

I'd bet the source of this info is the guy who admonished Sue.
TMRfish
Posted 9/8/2008 1:03 PM (#335242 - in reply to #335199)

Thanks Steve.
I also heard about some less than friendly accusations. The general vibe I got was that at least one person was quite vocally blaming muskie fisherman (specifically tournament fisherman) for the dead musky problem (if it even is a problem). Glad to hear that all tournament fish were released successfully, as they usually are.
sworrall
Posted 9/8/2008 1:11 PM (#335244 - in reply to #335199)

That's the guy alright...
jonnysled
Posted 9/8/2008 1:22 PM (#335245 - in reply to #335199)

i'll echo the musky league treatment of the fish ... of the very few caught i witnessed and measured 2 on one particular evening and they were handled correctly. very quick measurement and photo kicking and splashing going away ... no slow releases at all. one was a tiger if i remember correctly.

3rd hand anger from some uninformed folks will get out of hand in a hurry.

oneida lake though for anyone who fishes there is a great body of water and the resort you launch at is run by some really nice folks who make a great cheeseburger so stop at the alpine and fish the lake ... you'll like it.
sworrall
Posted 9/8/2008 2:06 PM (#335253 - in reply to #335199)

I second what Sled said.
reefer
Posted 9/8/2008 2:29 PM (#335256 - in reply to #335199)

Is that landing still a little touchy by the bar there? Remember it being pretty good for my smaller rig, but seemed like the slabs were bad and might be troublesome for a bigger one..?.. Nice people at the bar there, and good food served during rain storm. Some nice broad leaf cabbage in that lake and not much milfoil at all when I was there(3 years ago). Would hate to see one of the relativley few lakes in WI with that type of cabbage, lose out in the deal, in attempt to rid the milfoil, which won't happen, if there already.
TMRfish
Posted 9/8/2008 2:45 PM (#335263 - in reply to #335199)

Reefer
I think the landing was fixed a couple of summers ago. I kinda grew up there but don't get much of a chance to get back home too often anymore, so I'm not sure. Apparently the milfoil just recently showed up and they are trying to get rid of it before it gets a stronghold. Probably fighting a losing battle with the milfoil, but let's hope not. The lake has changed a lot in the last 15 years, but appears to be in pretty good shape now.
Billy D
Posted 9/8/2008 3:33 PM (#335271 - in reply to #335253)

Steve and Sled thanks for sticking up for the league. I know Johnny and Steve and Sue and their dedication to our sport. I was actually taking my Dad fishing on Friday afternoon (who will be 67 this year) and was commenting on how cool it was that Steve and Sue fish together in league, not to mention all the support for Nate and Dave after the episode of stolen equipment. My Dad thought that was pretty cool how everyone came together to pitch in. No one likes to see a dead ski, and I am confident we all do our best to ensure a great release. After all why wouldn't we on lakes we all enjoy? I have saw one bad episode one on Big Arb I could not help myself to go over they threw a muskie overboard like a bass!! I was sick so I told my Dad that it may be uncomfortable but I had to go over to them. Well in the end I just tried to educate a father and Son on a proper release. I spent awhile on the fish maybe 15-20 minutes and she came around. They were sorry but very grateful which made a negative into a positive. Anyway Good luck fishing catch a hog!
CASTING55
Posted 9/8/2008 5:09 PM (#335287 - in reply to #335271)

some people are just complainers,just like the people that say the muskies are eating the bass,walleye,northern ect,they just want to blame it on something so why not blame the muskies,muskie fishermen,fisherwoman.
jonnysled
Posted 9/9/2008 11:37 AM (#335416 - in reply to #335199)

i used to put my boat ... 20' ranger center console in and out on oneida on that landing without any problems ... it's certainly no peach but not a problem either. one thing to note though is that there is a pile of rocks that's just about right where (ok, it's exactly where) you giv'er to power load so be CAREFUL or you'll cha-ching your prop. stay trimmed when you launch and start to avoid it and do not power load or you'll be buying a new prop.

actually ... based on the killing of fish and the hunk o rocks at the landing ... maybe you should fish somewhere else ... after-all, there are no big fish in wisconsin right?

Edited by jonnysled 9/9/2008 11:38 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)