Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Fishing is like sex, Its not how deep you fish, its how you wiggle your worm....
- (Added by: Smokin Joe)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Topcoat durability frustrations!

Message Subject: Topcoat durability frustrations!
Beaver
Posted 8/23/2008 1:13 PM (#333007 - in reply to #332999)
Subject: Re: Topcoat durability frustrations!

Jed, you seem to have figured ALL of it out, and do a very good job for a guy that started from scratch. I bet you are a lot like me, with buckets of failed attempts. But every failed attempt was a victory, because we learned how NOT to make a lure correctly.
I know that this thread started as a top coat question and branched out from there. I always enjoy reading how other guys do things, because there is always more than one way to skin a cat.
Here's a place that you guys might enjoy visiting. It has an abundance of woodworking-related products that might be just what you are looking for. I've used many, and can say that they all are the best that I've used.
www.abotron.com
Their tech people are always willing to help you out if you tell them exactly what you are looking for.
Beaver
RiverMan
Posted 8/26/2008 4:49 PM (#333536 - in reply to #332126)

Thanks Beav.........not sure I have it "all" figured out but most of the time I can get things to work out for me. And yes, I have made tons of mistakes; at one time I had an entire ice chest full of mistakes.........I'm not kidding you. I cut all of them in half on the band saw and tossed them out. I just wish I was better at making tools that make the job easier. Some guys seem to have a nack for this kind of thing and unfortunately I am not one of them. Half as fast, twice as far I guess.

Jed V.
rjbass
Posted 8/27/2008 11:33 AM (#333671 - in reply to #333536)

Jed,

I did a similar thing...I kept all my mistakes and was always gong to fix them...lol. One day I looked at the lot and threw them in the burn barrel, added gas and lit it.

Rod
Kenslures
Posted 8/27/2008 6:08 PM (#333750 - in reply to #333671)

Hey Jed, making your own fixtures or tools is much like making the lures. You get an idea and have to give it a try. Like you said not every bait works the first time. I make most of my own lathe tools, fixtures for making my lure lips. I sharpen all my own tools including bandsaw blades and carbide saw blades. I don't always suceed on the first try on either. I have two small cardboard barrels full of baits that didn't work. My son just loves it as he uses wood to heat his house. I always tell him, throw another lure (log) on the fire and then he laughs. I didn't think I would ever be able to paint any baits because when it came to being artistic, I couldn't draw flies. So much for that. Now I am really addicted as are you and you do an awesome job. If I can ever be of any assistance please feel free to ask. Thanks and have a great day. Ken
RiverMan
Posted 8/28/2008 4:44 PM (#333914 - in reply to #332126)

I might take you up on that some time Ken. The sharpening stuff I can handle, running the machines, airbrush, paints, etc., not a problem. But making a custom fixture to hold a lure in to cut lip slots, weights, or whatever, forget it! lol

Jed
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)