Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> North Twin lake, vilas county

Message Subject: North Twin lake, vilas county
Live2Fish
Posted 8/11/2008 9:45 AM (#330800)
Subject: North Twin lake, vilas county

I'm headed up here next week around monday, and North Twin is a lake I've never been on. I've heard a lot about the rock piles and deep cabbage, but was wondering what to try in mid August. I rarely fish in August and was wondering which baits are the most successful and where to go. I know it seems like I'm asking a lot, but no one has to give away their secret spots on the lake or anything like that. Thanks a ton guys.
twells
Posted 8/11/2008 12:58 PM (#330850 - in reply to #330800)
Subject: RE: North Twin lake, vilas county

Fish the evening and into the dark out there this time of year. As far as baits Live action and Bulldawgs along with larger bucktails on the deep weed edges. Good luck fishing.
brn2fsh
Posted 8/11/2008 12:59 PM (#330851 - in reply to #330800)

Right now is always a good time for getting down deeper than the early or latter parts of the season. Generally I will go out with little more than some Dawgs, heavy dbl 10's that can get down a ways when your slow rollin' em, and Depthraiders. Remember that as water temperatures increase with the dog days of summer, the oxygen levels decrease in shallower water, so finding big musky in shallow water can be grueling unless it's early morning, late evening or night. So find some deep breaks and weed edges, study a map and find a slide bar or two if there are a lot of rocks, especially if there is an adjacent wind creating a small eddie on the calmer side. Humps and deep weeds are your best bet right now. And if you're looking for color choices, well, with plastic or rubber, I always go natural, although some say that plays a double negative as natural prey are designed with colors that blend in with their natural environment, such that it may be more difficult for predators to locate. Yet, you will see me throwing them despite that intuition and I'm catching fish. Water color does play a big factor in lure color choices, though, so I have alternative solutions, such as natural colored bulldawgs with a blaze orange tail that either came like that stock or custom, or I cut one off a different Dawg and melted it onto a new one. Myself, I have no experience on North Twin, although I've heard great things. Good luck and let us know how you do.
Live2Fish
Posted 8/11/2008 2:24 PM (#330876 - in reply to #330800)
Subject: Re: North Twin lake, vilas county

Will do and I can't wait to get out. I'm glad the day I plan on getting out is going to be overcast, so perhaps this will provide some feeding during the day.
JohnMD
Posted 8/13/2008 7:36 AM (#331209 - in reply to #330876)

Don't overlook S.Twin, there are some really nice fish there as well.

I have always had better luck fishing the Hospital bar at night or the Reed bed on S.twin at night

Live2Fish
Posted 8/13/2008 8:01 AM (#331213 - in reply to #330800)

I'm really excited. If the actions slow during the day, we might hit one of those micro lakes that are only 200 acres or so, see if they are biting on the smaller lakes. I'm also wondering if stained after is more productive during the day than clear water at this time of the year.
Live2Fish
Posted 8/13/2008 11:30 PM (#331343 - in reply to #330800)

One more question guys. If you had to choose one bait to go out on N. Twin at this time, what would it be? Mepps? DCG? Dawgs?
Smokin Joe
Posted 8/14/2008 9:24 PM (#331506 - in reply to #330800)

DAWGS!!!!!
Ifishskis Jr.
Posted 8/14/2008 9:45 PM (#331513 - in reply to #330800)

If you could, I would try and hire a guide. North Twin is notoriously hard to fish, but it is a very nice lake no doubt. Bars and humps are good spots there. Don't overlook the massive pencil reed beds on the southern part of the lake too.
Live2Fish
Posted 8/14/2008 10:02 PM (#331515 - in reply to #330800)

If I find 400 bucks in the pocket of my jeans I will. PArt of the fun of muskie fishing is discovering a new fishery. I will probably use a lot of dawgs and grandmas.
Mo_Muskies
Posted 8/15/2008 8:47 PM (#331644 - in reply to #330800)

My favorite place - been fishing it for the last 16 years. Won't share my GPS coordinates with you but I'll give you my milk run...

Here's my milk run. Early morning (5:30-6:00am), fish the rock pile near the island (clearly marked with 6 floats) I like to twitch a 6 to 8 inch grandma or jake, even throw a small suick - all natural perch mind you. Start in 15 feet of water and fish toward the top of the rocks.. I've caught them at all water levels near this rock pile. To the south east of the rock pile fish the edge of the reeds. Depending on the wind drift/fish between the reeds and rock pile - I've caught then on everything from jackpots to #5 mepps..

Move to the Ozark bar as your next target. You'll see a rock finger on the NW side of the island. Ozark bar is between this finger and the public boat ramp on the other side. Same lure selection, start deep work toward the top of the bar. Follow the bar using your graph. Bar is in the shape of a pork chop bone, can be tricky.

Mid day - I head to the deep cabbage on North Twin. Hard to tell you in paper but, one good bed is to the right of the shallows between north and south. Another is to the imediate left as you enter south twin.. Fish the reeds on your left as enter south twin, again, I've caught then on everything here from top water to small bucktails...

Finally - depending on the wind, drift the large weed bed from the girls scout camp, up to Gelb's place (entire south west shore line) Distinct weed edge can be located if you have a half decent locator - 12 foot the weeds start. About 200 yards from shore.

Good luck..

HappyMusky
Posted 8/19/2008 3:59 PM (#332280 - in reply to #330800)

1 lure... night shiner depth raider... number two would be a naked brass #4 agila...hard to find.

on a side note there are a lot of other great lakes out by twin
Live2Fish
Posted 8/21/2008 7:45 AM (#332640 - in reply to #330800)

just got back and bit the old skunk. Had some follows off of the Hospital bar and rock pile on DCG's but that was about it. thanks for all the help, and next time I might hire a guide to help learn the lake.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)