Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: While watching some boat ramp antics, "Yeah Pa, don't them three just make a pair.
- (Added by: Beaver)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Anyone Have Experience with Foil?

Message Subject: Anyone Have Experience with Foil?
tmag
Posted 6/24/2008 7:52 PM (#323662)
Subject: Anyone Have Experience with Foil?

Hey Guys,

If any of you have experience building foil baits, please PM me.

Thanks,

TC
Tackle Industries
Posted 6/24/2008 10:22 PM (#323675 - in reply to #323662)
Subject: Re: Anyone Have Experience with Foil?

I do but I do a real simple technique. Tigger and a few others are real good at it.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/search/query.asp?fid=0&action...

Tigger
Posted 6/25/2008 5:43 PM (#323800 - in reply to #323662)

Hey tmag, I pmed you a link to foiling on OGF.
Good luck
John
Tackle Industries
Posted 6/26/2008 3:40 PM (#323971 - in reply to #323662)
Subject: RE: Anyone Have Experience with Foil?

Did some digging and I found this.

This is how I do it: Foiled Grunts
Don’t laugh but my foil source is Renolds Aluminum foil. I buy the thin stuff. I attached some pics of finished products. Real easy to do. I prep my lures up to a white primer. Next I take foil and add texture to is. You can do this by slightly crumbling it up, role it around a weaved basket or push onto a textured surface of your choice. I semi push the foil flat but leave texture on it so it has a high and low side or pints… I then paint it with the color of paint I want and immediately after that I take a rag with a little ethanol or paint remover on it and rub off the high sides of the foil. Let dry… Then I take the template of my lure and put it onto the foil and cut around it with a knife (both sides). Take your lure that is primed and ready to go and put a light layer of epoxy on it and place your foil onto the side of the lure (both sides). I then add more epoxy to the entire lure pressing the edges of the foil onto the bait to get a smooth surface (or close). Hang and let it dry overnight. I then paint the belly and the top of the lure to get the foil edges hidden and finish up the bait with any fins or other paint on top of the fresh epoxy. Apply two more coats of epoxy let dry and add your terminal tackle.

This is what I had in my files and it may have came from Tigger???
No secrets here. There are two methods:

Method #1:

Use spray adheasive and apply aluminum foil to the bait.

Seal and prime the bait as you usually would. Cut a piece of foil to cover one side of the bait. Spray adheaseive to one side of the bait and overlay the piece of foil. (you can also use epoxy as some spray adheasives take forever to dry. Andy the epoxy allows for a deeper texture if you work it while it is still soft) Start at one end and move toward the other stretching the foil to the edges. Once you get the foil wrapped up over edges of the bait you take a razor blade and trim the foil. Once the foil is trimmed take a smooth (plastic works best) curved object and burnish the edges. Do this on both sides. Then if you want you can apply a texture to the foil with somethign like a craftsman wrench or with a butter knife (you can lightly scratch scale lines into the foil). It also works to cut a piece of mesh or other material to fit the side of your bait and then overlay the foil, which can then be smoothed out and pressed into the depressions resulting in a raised scale effect. Once you have the desired effect cover the bait with a thin layer of epoxy (this gives you a smooth finish that you can paint over) once the epxy is dry sand out any ridged areas and then paint your pattern. Use opaque colors er the burnished edges (the belly and back) and whatever colors you choose over the foiled areas. If you use transparent colors you can get a really cool effect. Once you have the desired paint job you just complete the bait as you usually wood (clearcoats, hardware etc.)

Method #2

Use aluminum foil tape (this is the method I usually use)

You use the same exact steps as above, except you don't need any adheasive. Also I find it a bit easier to apply a testure to the foil tape as it is a bit thicker and stretches much easier around edges than regular aluminum foil.

Edited by tacklebooty 6/26/2008 3:41 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(black foil.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments black foil.JPG (59KB - 372 downloads)
firstsixfeet
Posted 7/9/2008 4:34 AM (#325585 - in reply to #323662)

Here is a foil crankbait I picked up at a flea market with a different kind of texture.
No idea what the guy did to it, but it rocks.

(goldfoilshad.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments goldfoilshad.jpg (59KB - 152 downloads)
jerkin
Posted 7/9/2008 11:15 AM (#325646 - in reply to #323662)

Here is a pic of a few of the jerkbaits I've done with foil for a couple buddies. I use the method fatfingers and tigger have explained. Glue netting to the bait then stick HVAC foil over that. It's not that hard, just more time consuming. I've heard of the etex delaminating from the foil after some use but haven't seen it happen yet.

FSF, it looks like the one you pictured was done by rolling the foil over a file or rasp to add the texture then gluing it to the bait. Hard to say for sure but that would be my guess.

Edited by jerkin 7/9/2008 11:19 AM

(DSCF0007 (Small).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCF0007 (Small).JPG (44KB - 122 downloads)
PamuskEhunt
Posted 7/9/2008 11:55 AM (#325652 - in reply to #325646)

Jerkin, those are lookin pretty sweet!!
firstsixfeet
Posted 7/9/2008 4:39 PM (#325713 - in reply to #325646)

I wouldn't have the slightest idea how, since I never found out who the baitmaker was, but it could conceivably be a fabric base also, but it would seem the indentions wouldn't be prominenet. I will say that whoever did it was pretty good and when you get it out in the sun, it looks like money!

jerkin
Posted 7/10/2008 7:32 AM (#325808 - in reply to #323662)

Thanks Evan, if you want to try one pm me and I can talk you through it. If you want to color it like the top 2 you need transparent paint or colored foil. Otherwise it's just HVAC tape, spray glue and an onion bag. Like FSF said, you get them out in the sun on a clear lake and the foil has some serious flash.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)