Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Trinidad Review

Message Subject: Trinidad Review
Team Rhino
Posted 3/25/2008 8:47 PM (#309730)
Subject: Trinidad Review

Ok so I broke down after reading alot about this reel and made the purchase. I had my concerns about the lack of a level wind and the manual engaging of the reel. Well it was pretty windy today in my neck of the woods so I couldn't help myself and played with the new reel anyways. I spooled the reel with 100 pound Spiderwire Stealth. I choose the line because it was the only 100 pound line they had in stock and I was eager to try the new reel. I choose 100 lb. just so when I did get a backlash at least maybe I'd get it out. I also figured line is easily replaced so if I had major issues I could try something else a different day. I spooled it up with 100yds + the mono backer. I cranked the spool tension down and fired a few casts. Even with the tension down it can get the bait out quite a ways. My bait for testing was a DC 10. I couldn't believe how fast this reel can get a bucktail in. Since it pulls in so much line if you want a normal retrieve you just have to slow the cranking down. With the rod tip pointed at the bait I really didn't notice much for pull. I would say it pulls maybe like a double 8 with a normal reel. I made about 30+ casts and did have 2 backlashes. It turns out with the TN16-N that the lack of a level wind isn't as big a deal as I thought. The line lays pretty even considering the missing level wind. I was actually more thrown off by the manual engage. I'd start a retrive and realize I had to flip the lever to engage. As with any new equipment there will be an adjustment period but I really think this reel will serve the purpose well. When the line did stack up it seemed the chances of a problem went up. So maybe when that happens just open the bail and pull the line off and respool by hand. By the end of the 30 casts I was even able to back the spool tension off for more distance. I just thought I'd post my thoughts since many have questions about this reel, same as I did. Hope this helps.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)