Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> 5 gal bucket tackle box

Message Subject: 5 gal bucket tackle box
muskydeceiver
Posted 3/6/2008 1:01 PM (#305825)
Subject: 5 gal bucket tackle box

Just wondering if anyone has made a tackle box out of a 5 gallon bucket before? If you have, how well did it work and how did you do it? Any other homemade suggestions? At this point I would rather spend my fishing budget on baits and not dropping a bunch of cash on a storage container for them.

Thanks!
bigbite
Posted 3/6/2008 1:36 PM (#305838 - in reply to #305825)
Subject: RE: 5 gal bucket tackle box

Try taking a milk crate with some plastic down spout material cut to length for inserts to segregate your lures and keep them from tangling. The contours in the material also make it easy to slip the barbs on the hooks between to secure your baits to. I then took a bungee cord and looped it through the handle openings on the crate and then used some pipe insulation material to wrap around the cord to make a comfortable carrying handle. You could also wrap a layer of tape around the pipe insulation to keep the handle from shifting. You'll find that there is ample room to store all the Musky lures you'll need for a day's fishing. To keep any lures from protruding or falling out of the openings in the bottom of the crate, you could take some rubberized material (similar to what you would line drawers with in order to keep the contents stationary). You'll find that this method allows your bucktails and other lures to air dry fast and cut down on oxidation. I keep a long handle pliers in my crate not only for better C&R, but also to retrieve any smaller baits that happen to fall to the bottom of crate.
dockboylures
Posted 3/6/2008 1:44 PM (#305839 - in reply to #305825)
Subject: Re: 5 gal bucket tackle box

I just bought the musky bucket from I tihnk muskyshop. Its pretty cheap and works really well. I also bought a tool container pouch that hangs on the outside of the bucket where I keep all my release tools. You can most likely buy this tool pouch at any good hardware store and its cheap as well. I put this all together becaue I sometimes fish out of a 12" row boat and dont have space for the bigger boxes. Its kind of hard to describe so I could post pictures if anyone wants me to.
rocket
Posted 3/6/2008 2:17 PM (#305845 - in reply to #305825)

The 5 gal tackle bucket I made has a tool bag that hangs around the outside of the bucket. I also cut some PVC pipe to length and inserted them inside the bucket to sort and seperate baits. If I could figure out how to post pictures I would be more than happy to show you pics. I could email you some pics if you want to see it.
momuskies
Posted 3/6/2008 2:23 PM (#305846 - in reply to #305845)

I cut a several lengths of pvc and use a bungy cord to hold them around my seat post. Keeps some of the baits off the floor.
muskie! nut
Posted 3/6/2008 6:26 PM (#305895 - in reply to #305838)

bigbite - 3/6/2008 1:36 PM

Try taking a milk crate with some plastic down spout material cut to length for inserts to segregate your lures and keep them from tangling..

Using a crate, I cut the dividers out of square PVC downspout. Use the cheapest you can get your hands on, because it normally is thinner and weights less. If you use a power saw to cut them, place the saw blade in backwards to prevent chipping when the saw nears the end of the cut. I also placed a bottom floor of peg board in this crate to keep any smaller baits from dropping through or larger baits from just getting a hook through - they are a bear to get out sometimes. I never store my bait in the box, as I hang them on the bait board so they dry. As you can see by the pics, I cut the handle area shorter so that you can carry the box. In these slot I place smaller baits.

Edited by muskie! nut 3/6/2008 6:38 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(crate1a.JPG)

(crate1c.JPG)

(crateb.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments crate1a.JPG (21KB - 466 downloads)
Attachments crate1c.JPG (15KB - 509 downloads)
Attachments crateb.JPG (59KB - 5769 downloads)
Posted 3/6/2008 10:17 PM (#305944 - in reply to #305825)

There is a premade devider system out there new this year, I saw it at the Chicago show I think at rollies booth. It drops right in a 5 gal bucket and from what I recall it was cheap........Pretty nice system for a bucket.......
muskydeceiver
Posted 3/6/2008 11:08 PM (#305958 - in reply to #305944)

Thanks everyone!!!!
schrump
Posted 3/6/2008 11:29 PM (#305960 - in reply to #305958)

My favorite tackle box is made out of a plastic Tidy Cat cat cat litter box, added some compartments and it's good to go! Only downfall is that I make a mess out of most boxes and after a few times fishin' it gets MESSY YO!
Dacron + Dip
Posted 3/7/2008 6:40 AM (#305971 - in reply to #305825)

Those are all good set-ups! Add a lid though to anything that you put baits in. UV rays are really tough on paint and especially bucktail or feathers. Take a Coke can and toss it on your lawn for three hot summer days. Flip over the can and see how it has faded. Sadly, this effect gets worse and worse every year. The square PVC pipe also works awesome for making honeycomb style packs that either stand up or lay flat in a storage box or rod locker. I tape them together in pods of four. Not sure what dia. mine are, but you can put Plows, Hookers and some other big baits with big lips in them with just the tip of the lip poking out. 14" Jakes, 13" Beleivers are really easy to store like this. My rod lockers and side bins are too short for the pods to stand up, so I just lay them flat. Square kitty litter pails also work great, I always like packing a boat, truck or any vehicle with square or rectangular shapes rather than round, they just seems to pack neater and better for me.
AFChief
Posted 3/7/2008 10:17 AM (#305998 - in reply to #305825)

The muskie bucket is a good option. I paired it up with the 5 gal bucket w/lid made by plano (picked it up at their outlet store). It works great for my large trolling baits (such as Grandma's, Jakes, Believers, TX Terminators and Wiley Spinner baits).

Jerry

Edited by AFChief 3/7/2008 2:22 PM
The Wanderer
Posted 3/7/2008 10:47 AM (#306007 - in reply to #305825)

I've actually used that same type of down spout to make tackle boxes that fit into my boat compartments. That square stuff is thicker and more durable than the rectangular down spouts. I got them to hold to together with PVC cement. The same stuff that plumbers use, and it works pretty well.
luckymusky
Posted 3/8/2008 2:31 PM (#306208 - in reply to #306007)

i agree that the square crates are way better than any bucket, buckets just fall over and piss y ou off. i have about 6 crates with downspoout but i gotta get some of that square pvc you guys have pictured. that could be the solution for the plows and grunts and big grannies!! do you get it at the basic home depot store? or is it plumber supply stores only...thanks!
muskie! nut
Posted 3/8/2008 4:51 PM (#306218 - in reply to #305825)

I use to get it at Menard's. Like i says, the cheaper stores has thinner walled vinyl square pipe.
Bruce
Posted 3/8/2008 10:48 PM (#306275 - in reply to #305825)

I started with the square crates with rectangular downspouting, then went to 5 gal buckets with the same material inside. Attached a vinyl aroung the outside to hold pliers and the like. Latest was cutting plastic sheets for a rack that fits inside my 30 year old Gott cooler. Holds lots of lures. But I have found out that I never use all those I have toted to the lake. This year I will find a way to carry small amounts, in small cases maybe, on trips. That cooler takes up ALOT of room and so do the buckets. Maybe if I would just throw bucktails.....
rocket
Posted 3/11/2008 9:26 AM (#306714 - in reply to #305825)

Here are pics of my bucket

(bucket1.JPG)

(bucket2.JPG)

(bucket3.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments bucket1.JPG (47KB - 1567 downloads)
Attachments bucket2.JPG (48KB - 488 downloads)
Attachments bucket3.JPG (45KB - 428 downloads)
dockboylures
Posted 3/11/2008 5:56 PM (#306811 - in reply to #306714)

Heres mine with the 'Musky Bucket' storage system.

(tackle box.JPG)

(000_0053.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tackle box.JPG (42KB - 2551 downloads)
Attachments 000_0053.JPG (86KB - 3226 downloads)
Posted 3/11/2008 8:32 PM (#306845 - in reply to #305825)

Dockboy, that looks like the system I saw at Chicago. Looks like a pretty decent unit........Doug Bradley
dockboylures
Posted 3/12/2008 12:30 AM (#306882 - in reply to #305825)

Yeah its pretty nice and holds a lot of lures. As I said I bought it because I sometimes fish out of a small boat and need all the room I can get. Heres a link if anyone is interested in it. http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/products.php/keys/bucket/page...
The tool holder is great as well and can bet bought at any good hardware store. The only thing I dont like about the musky bucket is that it is not able to hold some of the bigger lures like magdawgs or suzy suckers. Other than that it great.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)