Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Super Shallow Mantas

Message Subject: Super Shallow Mantas
Posted 2/19/2008 10:31 PM (#302336)
Subject: Super Shallow Mantas

Hello,
I was wondering how deep Super Shallow Mantas go. Do they sink slowly or do they float at rest. How are they compared to the regular ones. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!
whit65
Posted 2/20/2008 10:43 AM (#302423 - in reply to #302336)
Subject: RE: Super Shallow Mantas

Don't care as much for the Super Shallows myself. They sink, don't float at rest, but sink at probably 3-4" per second. When you work them they come right back up but in my opinion, the action on the regular weighted ones is much better. You can work the regulars faster as a search bait, or more slowly with longer pauses, the regulars sink at about 1/2 -1 foot per second. Just my 2 cents.
W
Medford Fisher
Posted 2/20/2008 11:45 AM (#302435 - in reply to #302336)
Subject: Re: Super Shallow Mantas

Greg, are you saying that the "super-shallow" mantas actually sink at a much faster rate than regular-weighted ones? ...and that it's just the pull/glide that makes them come back shallow?
Never used one, but I thought about getting one a few times as I really like to use mantas in shallow weeds but you have to work the regular-wtd. ones pretty fast to keep them above the weeds. I'd like it more if I could slow it down, but still keep it higher; that's why I was thinking about getting one. But it sounds (if I understand correctly) that the super-shallow ones actually would sink faster on the pause?
Thanks for the help, Jake
whit65
Posted 2/20/2008 12:29 PM (#302446 - in reply to #302435)

Hi Jake,
No must've been a typo, what I meant was that the shallow ones sink 3-4 inches per second and the regulars sink about 8-10 inches per second. I find that I have no trouble keeping the regulars above the weeds as long as the weeds are 1-2 feet under the surface. That's with some juicy pauses in there too. The shallows still look good, but for me, they stay too shallow. You might want to try one though, cause the one shallow that I have left I just weighted a bit with a 1/4 oz bell sinker hanging from each hook. Kinda gives it a little different action too. All good baits, but my best luck has been with the regular weight, regular size.
W
Medford Fisher
Posted 2/20/2008 1:12 PM (#302461 - in reply to #302336)

Greg,

No typo...I'm just a moron and just assumed feet, but looking back at it you had a " mark (meaning inches. My bad; but thanks for the info. I actually have a few of the shallow ones that I was/am going to sell, but I'll probably keep one for myself.
Thanks again, Jake
Posted 2/20/2008 10:07 PM (#302635 - in reply to #302336)
Subject: RE: Super Shallow Mantas

Thanks for the info.
Pointerpride102
Posted 2/20/2008 10:28 PM (#302642 - in reply to #302635)

I love the super shallow. Yes it does sink, but I dont think its as fast as 3-4 inches per second, I think its a bit slower than that. The super shallow will hang pretty good (especially in current). It is definately a great bait, although some dont like it as it doesnt do the 'belly roll'. I would agree a bit when this bait is fished in a lake, although I think it can do more things if worked correctly, then again I fish the manta way too much and work it a bit differently. In the current I dont think there is a better glide bait. That thing rolls, wobbles, and does all sorts of crazy things. The super shallow is the best for where I fish as I like it to hang about the rocks, and it wont sink down there too fast. For me, current is the key to the manta.
Got Esox?
Posted 2/20/2008 11:06 PM (#302648 - in reply to #302642)

I like all versions of the manta for shallow waters, as long as I keep working them as a descent clip they stay ~1 foot down max. I like the super shallow and surface skimmers when working shallow and really want the bait to hang there for a while with a slower retreive.

My .02
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)