Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Dumbest thing done while muskie fishing?

Message Subject: Dumbest thing done while muskie fishing?
Marc J
Posted 2/19/2008 11:01 AM (#302130 - in reply to #302125)
Subject: Re: Dumbest thing done while muskie fishing?

This could be the neverending thread.....

August, Malmo, just a little shallow. Let's just back out a little farther. Sand was nice and hard earlier this year. Little farther, if I can make it to that dark spot we'll be fine! Uh oh, stuck. Can't go forward, can't go back. 150 feet out, bottomed out in the sand before too long.

The guy who came and towed me out brought his wife and she was snapping pics all along. Embarassing. Wasted 4 hours of fishing and girlfriend was there to witness all of it.

$120 is alot to pay to save $10 and 10 miles to launch at a real ramp.
momuskies
Posted 2/19/2008 11:12 AM (#302134 - in reply to #301932)

Not musky fishing, but one time while trout fishing during February (approx. 15 degrees=frozen bunks) my dad and I were launching the boat after fishing the day before. It was a light aluminum boat and the ramp was a fairly shallow ramp, so we unhooked the winch. He's backing up the RV, next thing you know I'm in the boat sliding off the trailer ending up high and dry on the ramp 20 feet from the water. Took a while to push the boat down into the water. Gotta love the Alumawelds, built like a tank.

Edited by momuskies 2/19/2008 11:13 AM
missourimuskyhunter
Posted 2/19/2008 11:55 AM (#302145 - in reply to #301932)
Subject: RE: Dumbest thing done while muskie fishing?

Two years ago i caught my largest walleye (8 1/2lbs) while musky fishing and was 2 miles away from the dock in a little 14' v-bottom only powered by a 36lb trolling motor trying to out run a storm that was putting down a tornado.All i remember was hearing the storm sirens going off while i was trying to help with the paddle.Very dumb....
woody
Posted 2/19/2008 12:07 PM (#302146 - in reply to #302145)

We developed a new game after 9 fishless hours - Bait Death. Dumb, just plain dumb.
Hammskie
Posted 2/19/2008 12:47 PM (#302159 - in reply to #301932)

Forgot the plug!!!

... or stopped casting.

Both of these seem pretty dumb to me.
AFChief
Posted 2/19/2008 2:09 PM (#302177 - in reply to #302130)

After giving a lesson to my wife regarding how to safely cast a large bucktail using a baitcaster (know your surroundings, be aware of what is behind and to the sides of you, don't hit anyone when on the backward motion of the cast), I proceeded to step into her line of fire without paying attention to what she was doing. I got hit by the bucktail she was casting and got one barb of a 5/0 hook deeply embedded into my upper right arm. Felt like she hit me with a ball bat. I had to cut off the shirt I was wearing to see the damage. After cutting the hook, I taped it over until we ate lunch. I then iced the wound for half an hour until I could not feel anything and proceeded to push the hook though.

After giving my wife grief about how to safely cast, I was the bonehead who ended up not paying attntion to what I was doing. Had to eat crow for some time....

J
JohnMD
Posted 2/19/2008 2:13 PM (#302178 - in reply to #302177)

Not actually while fishing but told the wife how much my brand new Millionaire Reel & St Croix combo actually coats, MAN WAS THAT DUMB

esoxaddict
Posted 2/19/2008 2:26 PM (#302181 - in reply to #301932)

My first couple follows were pretty stupid. First time I just kept reeling until the leader hit the rod tip, and then just kinda stood there looking at the fish, who sat there looking at me. The second one was better. I pulled the lure right out of the water with the fish right behind it. Didn't even see it until I went to cast again and saw the fish sitting there, like "huh? where'd that thing go?" The third time I did see the fish, but pulled the lure out of the water anyway. Then I realized I was supposed to do a figure 8, and tried to put the lure back in the water and do one. That didn't work. The fourth time it happened I was ready. I had been practicing a LOT, doing 5 or 6 figure 8's after every cast. (I was a figure 8 expert!) #4 was where I learned what happens when you whack the rod on the side of the boat. I swear the fish left a could of poop in the water I scared it so much. #5: Actually did a figure 8. A nice tiny figure 8about 2 feet across. (If you catch a cross eyed muskie say hi to it for me.) And on it went... Scared away every fish I saw for a good two years! Don't even ASK me about learning to set the hook!
bn
Posted 2/19/2008 2:49 PM (#302188 - in reply to #301932)

I fell out of the boat...or half out once trying to retrieve a rod I bumped into the water grabbing the net to net a fish...oops...

never thought that would happen again...until Danny boy lost his balance bending over to pick up a sucker rod that went off...and plop, there he goes in...

Magruter
Posted 2/19/2008 2:50 PM (#302189 - in reply to #301932)

Got into an argument about fishing lines with a buddy in his boat. I told him to "shut up" so he kicked me out. It's not the dumbest thing I've ever done, but it's the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Needless to say, i don't really fish with him anymore.

The dumbest thing i've ever done was; I was waiting for someone at the goodland launch on waubesa, after a couple of minutes of standing around I grabbed a rod a started to casting. I had some kid come up and ask what I was fishing for, I told him muskies, he's was a pretty cool kid.. ..Anyways, after about the 20th cast in the same spot, i have a fish miss my bucktail twice and finally hit it on the 3rd try, it was a smallest fish. Instead of doing the smart thing, which would have been to hand to rod over to the kid, I did the dumb thing and fought the fish in. After trying to get the hooks out, the fish made a jump and managed to get one of the hooks to go between my wedding ring and finger. It didn't even leave a scratch on me, thankfully that kid was there to take my ring off and help me out. I did manage to get a picture with and the fish though.
ulbian
Posted 2/19/2008 2:54 PM (#302190 - in reply to #302047)

Merckid - 2/18/2008 11:06 PM

My shining moment would definitely have to be when I was alone at Boom Lake, going to launch the boat. I thought I had it in the water enough, but apparently I didn't. So I get back in the truck, back up what seemed like only an inch, but that inch sent my boat floating down the lake. It was a good 30 to 40 yards out there with a decent wind. I looked around and was like well, I guess I'm going swimming. All alone at the launch, except for this grandma and grandpa that were sitting in their car. They got to watch the whole scene unravel. Wow did I feel stupid.

You've got so many good ones TJ, and you picked this one? hehehehehe.

My not so greatest moment was a day I booted 7 fish. Not just follows, but hot fish that were either hooked or ready to eat but dumb me ran them into the trolling motor, poked them with the rod tip when they were just clamping down on a bait, let them get tangled up in a drift sock...stuff like that.
Snurgoil
Posted 2/19/2008 3:22 PM (#302193 - in reply to #301932)

Had to share buddies experience - first time to Canada. Pulled his father's new boat all the way up from Oklahoma. Fished at Crow Lake the first afternoon, put a nice trout in the live well but decided to leave it until morning to clean. Next morning boat was submerged at the dock, left live well on all night. Not sure why overflow didn't work. Spent all day getting the boat to Nestor Falls Marine getting cleaned up. Lucky no major damage, just ego!
esoxaddict
Posted 2/19/2008 3:24 PM (#302195 - in reply to #302188)

Here I am all "Wow, I got a fish..."

Then I hear: "F***!" *SPLOOSH!*

Now I'm thinking: "Wow, I got a fish and... and Nelson's in the water. What do I do?"

Meanwhile the fish is just sittin there like "ok, I'm done. You gonna net me or what?"

I forgot how funny that was, man!!
nwild
Posted 2/19/2008 3:30 PM (#302198 - in reply to #302190)

I could write the book on dumb.

I have done it all launching a boat. I launch without the plug pretty much every year, probably will next year too. I have launched without a tether rope attached and watched the boat sail off to sea unmanned. I have tried to launch without unhooking the straps...you will never push the boat off with the straps on. I have launched without taking _____________ out of the truck. (insert camera, net, raingear, lunch, brain, etc.) Most of these things happen when I am interrupted while in the launch process with conversation, my brain apparently can only handle one thing at a time.

Scariest one....I had been having problems with my crank battery all day and had to jump it off of my troller batteries. After about the fourth time I was getting a bit aggravated and unhooked the cables from the troller batteries and threw them into the crank battery storage, notice I didn't say I unhooked them from the crank battery. A short trip across the lake and one of my clients alerts me to the smoke coming out of the storage. I opened the storage and it looked like a mushroom cloud of smoke coming out. I immediately had a couple other boats around me offering amateur fire fighting advice. Thank God it was just the coating burning off of the jumper cables, no damage to anything except my pride.

My favorite? was this one. I had launched the boat and pulled it back up to the shore while parking the truck. When boarding the boat I grabbed the net to use as a push pole to push off the sand. After giving a mighty push I found myself flipping over the net into the water, not exactly the warmest spot to be on the opener. I did, however find it much easier to push the boat off of shore from this position. Something I learned from that effort......cell phones aren't made to take swimming.

I am sure there are many others, some I may admit to, most I won't. I am hoping Troyz replies and tells everyone about the time he dumped his dad's boat off the trailer about 20' short of the water.........but that is his story to tell!
PEteacher44
Posted 2/19/2008 4:35 PM (#302215 - in reply to #301932)

I set my rod down and grabbed the net to net boat owners fish ( I was in back). As I was moving to the front of boat, I heard a splash behind me...I knew I shouldn't be hearing a splash back there so I turn around and see nothing....not even my rod on the back deck! I jump back to the rear platform, look down and see the butt cap and it's going deeper...I halfway dive head first in...swirl my hand and arm aound and around...:) I got it!! Pull it up, proud as a peacock!!, set it safely down this time, grab the net, net partners fish, take pics and it's time to resume fishing.....Grab the rod by the handle, pull up, and hear (and felt) SNAP!! "What the *%^% was that?" I look up the rod and see it's broken in half...after 'safely' putting my rod back on the rear deck, I failed to realize I let the rod slide under the rope cleat!

I don't think it was meant to be....ironically, I bought the combo rod/reel from the guy in the front of the boat....
momuskies
Posted 2/19/2008 5:03 PM (#302227 - in reply to #301932)

On LOTW I was netting my dad's 40 incher when I leaned over apparently a little too far. Next thing I know I'm treading water holding the net with the musky. It was around 9:30, made for a cool ride back to Monument Bay Lodge.
c1650h40
Posted 2/19/2008 6:37 PM (#302263 - in reply to #301932)

his was not performed by me but I was a witness to this performance.
This happened several years ago it's the end of day 1 of a 2 day tournament. I'm sitting in the boat at the landing putting rods and baits away while I watch other people load their boats.

A husband/boyfriend and wife/girlfriend team are loading their boat. The husband drives the boat on the trailer and sits behind the console as the wife/GF pulls the truck and boat out of the water. As the boat beings to fall off the trailer the husband/BF begins to freak out. He starts waving his arms trying to get her to stop. She keeps going as the whole boat falls off the trailer onto the pavement...motor first. She finally sees what has happened and stops the truck and jumps out. What she forgot to do was put the truck in park. The truck and trailer start to roll back towards the boat. He takes off running for the truck to stop it and luckily did before the trailer hit the boat still sitting on the pavement.

PRICELESS!
muskyhunter63
Posted 2/19/2008 7:23 PM (#302282 - in reply to #302263)

Years ago was going to put the boat in at Lake Redstone in Sauk County and saw a guy get out of his vehicle and turn around just in time to see the vehicle roll back down the landing. Vehicle, trailer, boat and all in the lake! Asked the guy what happened and he said he didn't know, he put it in neutral and got out and it just rolled away. NEUTRAL? Took two wreckers to tow the thing out. At least the boat could float.
Ken
Schuler
Posted 2/19/2008 9:14 PM (#302314 - in reply to #301932)

Before I knew how to load a boat onto a trailer w/ the outboard...I was trying to push the boat onto the trailer from the dock...fell into the water head first. Luckily there was no one around to hear me.

Edited by Schuler 2/19/2008 9:15 PM
Joe Cal
Posted 2/19/2008 9:35 PM (#302325 - in reply to #301932)

my brother and I were on squirrel Lake a couple years ago, we stayed at a campground so we couldn't charge up our batterys. But we went fishing the next morning anyway knowing they were dead, we get 100 yards from the landing and the big motor runs outta gas then my bro notices that we forgot to put the plug in. So we freak out put our life jackets on (can't swim) but the trolling motor is almost completely dead. We had to bomb cast giant jackpots at the dock at the landing just to snag it to help pull us in before we went under. We made it but the back casting deck was almost completly under the water when we stepped onto the dock.
momuskies
Posted 2/19/2008 9:42 PM (#302326 - in reply to #302325)

I saw a guy using a "primitive" ramp (basically a gravel/chunk rock shoreline with no actual ramp). Pulling the boat out, the truck got stuck. Instead of coming up with a solution, the guy hits the gas and stays on it. That boat got blasted with rocks for what seemed like a really long time. At first I was cringing, then I couldn't stop laughing.
Bayboo_baits
Posted 2/19/2008 10:07 PM (#302331 - in reply to #301932)

OHHHH my where do i start how about the time i was trolling and i did not hook the down rigger ball to the cable and i sent it down to the deep 6 lure and rod attached i miss that rod

the dumbest thing i seen someone else do is launch his boat 17ft lund at south shore and the trailer fell off the edge it pulled the car in up to the rear doors.

Edited by Bayboo_baits 2/19/2008 10:11 PM
c44hmusky
Posted 2/20/2008 9:59 PM (#302632 - in reply to #301932)

After I built my first ever lure, I was trying it out on a N WI lake with my dad. I had commented to him that I would just be happy with a follow. Well sure enough, I had a fish following the lure in and got so excited that I stopped reeling and started to do a little "happy dance" in the back of the boat. I don't think I'll ever live that one down!
55esox
Posted 2/21/2008 3:36 PM (#302845 - in reply to #301932)

hey Momuskies....your a celebrity because when i was up at Monument Bay at the end of last year Jim told me your story......he got a BIG kick out of that.

Edited by 55esox 2/21/2008 3:39 PM
millsie
Posted 2/21/2008 4:17 PM (#302858 - in reply to #301932)

Last summer my wife took me on a houseboat vacation for my 50th birthday. While driving out to our parking spot, I was putting the rods and reels together on the front of the houseboat while my wife was driving. Hungover me grabbed a handful of rods in the bazooka and started pulling them out. I didn't have enough room and had to hold the rods over open water. As I am pulling them out I watched the tip of my brand new 8 1/2' 2 pc. ProEdge rod fall in and sink. Any want to buy a 4' really stiff rod?
kawartha kid
Posted 2/21/2008 4:33 PM (#302861 - in reply to #301936)
Subject: RE: LOOK!

Madmanmusky - 2/18/2008 6:20 PM

Got all excited to get on the lake and forgot to unhook one strap at the back of the boat and ended up floating the trailer and had to cut the strap and trust me it was pretty embarassing :(

Ive done this before,twice actually once it was my fault in excitement of the day to come. The second time i removed one side and my partner was to remove the other side which he didnt do.In reality i should have checked as it is my rig.Next I jump in the boat and tell my buddy to back down a very steep ramp witha quick drop on the end,hes backing up waiting to see the boat pop up off the trailer which doesent happen and the next thing i know 3/4s of my truck is in the lake and water is pouring into the cab,one really dad scene in mid november.Stuck bad far from home in northern ontario.My buddie had to walk 2hrs and 45mins to find a tow out of the lake,one really bad day i would like to forgett but never will.
esoxaddict
Posted 2/21/2008 4:58 PM (#302870 - in reply to #301932)

The dumb part of this day was going in the first place:

We decided about noon on a Sunday afternoon to drive up to Madsion to fish. By the time we got our act together and actually left it was about 1:30. 1:45, stuck in traffic, accident on interstate. 3:00, stuck in traffic again, not even across state line. 3:30, still South of Janesville, notice its looking pretty dark to the North. We finally get to Madison, put the boat in, and pull away from the launch. It's thundering. By the time we make it out of the channel it's raining. We make MAYBE 5 casts, and the sky lights up, KABOOOOOM! Raining sideways, wind blowing about 30 MPH. Maybe it will let up... Lightning stikes not 100 feet from us. We go screaming back to the launch at 40 MPH, soaked. And I mean SOAKED. Spend the next hour and a half standing in the fish house watching an electrical storm. Finally it lets up a little, but the temperature has dropped like 30 degrees. Cold, WET. Buddy says "where should we fish?" I don;t know, man I've fished this lake one time, and I can't see %^$& because its almost dark. We put around aimlessly casting at nothing for 10 minutes. Buddy loses his favorite lure, I slip and fall on my arse, whack my head on the gunnel, we decide to fish Monona instead, since I know Monona a lot better. We get over there to find 4 footers, white caps, no WAY are we fishing it. Guess its Wingra. Finaly get to Wingra and drop the boat in, in near total darkness. Buddy bottoms out trailer at launch. It's friggin COLD, and I'm soaked. We're all soaked. My head hurts. Finally make our way down to the North end, make a cast, the guy we had with us gets his line all wound up in the trolling motor. 20 minutes taking the trolling motor apart. Throw one cast, we wind up in the slop. IN THE SLOP. We don't notice (can't see a thing) until the trolling motor quits. Turns out there was no fuse installed, motor is toast. Fire up kicker, putt back to ramp, pull boat, go home. Threw maybe a dozen casts all day. We get almost home and the guy who was with us says "what's that noise? Oh NO, the TROLLING MOTOR!!!" Sparks are flyin. Turns out it was not stowed properly, deployed on the road.

Got home around 12:30, spent an hour dumping water out of plano boxes, my camera bag, sunglass case, tools, basically everything I had was SOAKED, incuding my clothes and shoes. I hope that was the worst day I will ever have on the water!
tuffy1
Posted 2/21/2008 8:05 PM (#302912 - in reply to #301932)

By far the dumbest thing I've ever done. Had a free afternoon last spring when the baby was at grandma and grandpas. I figure, I can do some work on the "to do" list, or go fishing. Well, I went fishing of course. As I'm working my weagle over this weedflat, my phone rings. It's the "boss". So I'm talking to her and about 10' from a fish destoys my weagle. I was kind of surprised as I didn't expect one to eat while I was on the phone. Well, my wife notices I pepped up a bit and says, "are you fishing!!!" I said, yep, and I just hooked a fish. (I was laughing cause I thought it was funny.) She abruptly ended the call at that point, and left me to deal with the fish.

Lesson there, don't answer the phone when you're out fishing and your wife thinks you're at home doing house work. lol

Edited by tuffy1 2/21/2008 8:07 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)