Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Anyone Remember?

Message Subject: Anyone Remember?
Boro
Posted 2/14/2008 9:24 PM (#301181 - in reply to #300797)
Subject: RE: Anyone Remember?

This is Pelican back in the day. Though I was a bit too little to fish when this pic was taken. I guess I was destin to be a Musky fisherman. About 19 years later I caught my first Musky there too. I love that place!!

Brian

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Brian's 1st Musky 19690716.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Brian's 1st Musky 19690716.jpg (93KB - 166 downloads)
MuskyFeverMN
Posted 2/14/2008 9:48 PM (#301187 - in reply to #300797)

I'm young . . . I dont remember. Too bad for me.

I love my Ranger and my Luxuries when out on the water. Nothing wrong with a canoe and an ugly stick. But I make no apologies, I love my Ranger and diamondback. The experience is much better in mind with state of the art equipment perfectly balanced for the presentation etc. I do remember the fish I lucked into catching as I started the musky journey that I am on. Probably the same feeling as most of the old timers, just different gear.
MACK
Posted 2/15/2008 1:34 PM (#301301 - in reply to #300797)
Subject: Re: Anyone Remember?

My days of muskie fishing started off fishing off of piers...or going with others that had a boat and were going out after pike/muskie....going on their schedule and going when and where they wanted to go.

Later in life...once I had a place of my own and a place to store a boat, I got my first boat. Paid a whopping $500 bux for the boat, motor and trailer. She wasn't the most beautiful thing on the water...but..it did float....and it did take on water through some of the riveted seems: a Sea Nymph Pike Attacker from the late 70s/early 80s. I can't remember the year of the boat.

After some TLC and custom work on my own behalf....I removed all of the rotten wood flooring and redid the whole boat, repainted inside and out, outfitted with new seats and customized some storage compartments, one up front under the bow seat and then the two side runners there.

I even went so far as to put a 30ph four-stroke Mercury on the back of this boat for a season. But then sold the motor separately and then sold this boat with the 15 hp Johnson that's pictured here...to my bro-in-law. So..I still get the pleasure of fishing out of this boat often.

But I've since moved up to my current boat which is the Crestliner 1750 with the 90hp Johnson....

It doesn't take mega bux to have fun and enjoy this sport. Some have the mega bux..some don't. No big deal. Don't let those with the mega bux keep you from enjoying yourself and having fun on the water. There's lots of deals out there on used boats, used tackle, used gear, ie, rods and reels, etc.

My first rig shown here....the Before & After pix showing what the boat looked like when I bought it, and then after my handy work...

Edited by MACK 2/15/2008 2:00 PM

(Before_After_1.jpg)

(BeforeAfter2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Before_After_1.jpg (79KB - 151 downloads)
Attachments BeforeAfter2.jpg (140KB - 695 downloads)
Partycrasher
Posted 2/15/2008 3:31 PM (#301324 - in reply to #300797)

I have two boats and one is the 14' Starcraft Seafarer that I bought with my High School Graduation money in 1980. When I fish alone, I still get that boat out. I fish much more efficiently in that one.

I have gone from the bare basics in 1974 to all the high tech stuff and now I see myself heading back to the basics. Two rods, a box with my favorite lures, and a net.

Good thread!
jtroop
Posted 2/15/2008 4:07 PM (#301329 - in reply to #300797)

The day Grandpa let me go out in the 12ft Alumacraft with the'59 Evinrude 3hp by myself. THAT was a magic day ! And catching a big dogfish was great because... well, because it was big ! What else matters when you're 12 ?
MuskieMedic
Posted 2/15/2008 10:21 PM (#301382 - in reply to #300797)

I do remember those days too. I used a pool cue with black dacron and only had about 10 baits for several years. Those days are not entirely gone. Even though I have a very nice Tuffy and loads of rods/reels and baits I still fish from shore a fair amount since the Tuffy cannot get to many good spots on the river. It really makes me appreciate how far I've come financially more than anything.
sworrall
Posted 2/15/2008 10:59 PM (#301396 - in reply to #301382)

Started in Wisconsin guiding out of the Alumacraft with a 6 horse. Working a jig with the old spinning rod, a big spinnerbait for Muskies on Moccasin, and loading the Tuffy on the west end of Pelican.

(My son the fisherman.JPG)

(Steve, Moccasin Lake, Wi.-1975.JPG)

(Tuffy on Pelican.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments My son the fisherman.JPG (82KB - 191 downloads)
Attachments Steve, Moccasin Lake, Wi.-1975.JPG (49KB - 199 downloads)
Attachments Tuffy on Pelican.JPG (64KB - 183 downloads)
lambeau
Posted 2/16/2008 9:29 AM (#301433 - in reply to #301396)

Working a jig with the old spinning rod

you should frame that one and put it up, Steve.
great picture, cool smirk.

growing up we were pretty poor but i never knew it because the kind of stuff we had didn't matter - it was our family times fishing that mattered. we always went up to Eagle River camping at the old Pine Aire for 2 weeks every summer. it's condos now i think, which is too bad.

we had an old wooden runabout/fishing boat with an Evinrude that ran sometimes when it felt like it, and i caught a lot of sunnies from the back seat. i spent every spare minute fishing from shore by a culvert into a backwater trying to catch 6" bass, and loving it.

some of my best memories are fishing with my dad from that old boat. i love taking my dad (and anyone else) fishing in my sparkly Tuffy now, but again it has nothing to do with the stuff, it's about enjoying the time together. i hope to instill that value in my children as well.
Peaches
Posted 2/16/2008 10:22 AM (#301447 - in reply to #300797)

Gotta love the "old school" pics. Ten years ago as a college student I was running a 12 foot hand me down boat made in the 40's with a 1954 7.5hp evinrude. The motor probably leaked more gas than it used. Thank god it is no longer in use.

I have to agree with muskimedic on apreciating how far I have come since the days of running around in that boat.

I wonder what we will be floating around in 20 years from now?

Jeff
Johnnie
Posted 2/18/2008 4:53 PM (#301895 - in reply to #301447)

Great thread! Got me thinking about my first. Aug. 3, 1961. 14 ft. Model A Alumacraft, with a '57 3hp Johnson outboard. A 5'6" Hedon Muskie Special rod and a Phluger Rocket reel, and an ABU Reflex bait with a brown bucktail attached. Just a 33"er but a great fish. We have sure come a long way, but sometimes I am not sure if it is all that much better. In the days before, trolling, motors, depth finders, GPSs, etc., C&R was not necessary to produce big fish. Today, with all the "gadgets" we have, the fish don't stand much of a chance. Thank God, we have catch and release!!!! Think about it. How many fish would most anglers catch today if you took away their, trolling motor, depth finder, GPS, modern lake maps, etc.?
Dandehhhhh
Posted 2/18/2008 6:38 PM (#301948 - in reply to #300797)

To this day I still prefer fishing out of the boat I grew up fishing in, on the lake I grew up fishing. 16ft alumicraft with a 40hp johnson tiller..I still remember seeing Chuck Schauer (sp?) dropping by my old mans shop when I was younger, jeeze even in recent years....and ALWAYS thinking to myself, "he caught HOW many muskies in THAT THING?"
MuskyFix
Posted 2/18/2008 7:07 PM (#301967 - in reply to #300797)

I remember our first Musky, it was also on a suick, it cost us $30 for the day, we rented a boat from big Jim's at Shabbona Lake and a few gallons of gas in 1989, we used a walleye rod and 14 lb mono with no leader. our first muskie trip. One of the muskies was caught while my friend was eating a PBJ sandwich, his lure was in the water and exploded that is how he caught his first muskie, we went back Sunday and I got my first just twitching a suick on the weed edge. that was allot of fun, now $100,00 dollars later we are still having fun but catching allot more fish. the GPS has allot to do with it and experience.

Ben

Edited by MuskyFix 2/18/2008 7:09 PM
Donnie3737
Posted 2/19/2008 12:32 PM (#302154 - in reply to #300797)

Nelson,

I still have pins and screws in parts of my body from the BMX freestyle stuff!! The issue is simple...back then, we didn't get paid alot of money to do those shows and so forth...just free bikes and clothes!!

Now I wake up every day with a pain in my back and in my neck!!

Hang a hawg!!

Donnie
esoxaddict
Posted 2/19/2008 12:52 PM (#302161 - in reply to #302154)

I was going to make fun of the way Steve looked back in the 70's. WAS.

It's funny... When this picture was taken I was fishing with an ugly stick and a Shakespeare 2200 spinning reel. I probably owned about a dozen lures, and I could carry all my gear while riding a bicycle. 25 years later I was still fishing with the same stuff, and it still suited me just fine. Can't even begin to count how many fish I caught, on what probably cost less than $100 all total. Now I look at my basement and just have to shake my head. WHAT HAPPENED???

(1978.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1978.jpg (289KB - 218 downloads)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)