Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

[Frozen]
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> 52 inch fish taken out of Minnetonka

Frozen
Message Subject: 52 inch fish taken out of Minnetonka
Manta18
Posted 2/4/2008 10:14 AM (#298835)
Subject: 52 inch fish taken out of Minnetonka

Some guy out ice fishing a couple of weeks ago, caught and kept a 52" monster out of Minnetonka.  Being that the season is closed, the local DNR tracked the man down, confiscated the fish and fined the guy.  Terrible way to lose a 52"

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Muskie1 1-13-08.JPG)

(Muskie2 1-13-08.JPG)

(scan.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Muskie1 1-13-08.JPG (24KB - 157 downloads)
Attachments Muskie2 1-13-08.JPG (25KB - 159 downloads)
Attachments scan.jpg (98KB - 160 downloads)
MUSKYBOY
Posted 2/4/2008 10:21 AM (#298837 - in reply to #298835)
Subject: Re: 52 inch fish taken out of Minnetonka

Wall on shame fish, too bad!
Magruter
Posted 2/4/2008 10:28 AM (#298838 - in reply to #298837)

Stuffed and cuffed! He knew what he was doing, and he got what he deserved..
Ball Cap
Posted 2/4/2008 10:31 AM (#298839 - in reply to #298835)
Subject: RE: 52 inch fish taken out of Minnetonka

I got those pics emailed to me a couple weeks ago and it said the guy's name in the email.

I figured he kept it and someone would turn him in.
sworrall
Posted 2/4/2008 10:45 AM (#298843 - in reply to #298835)

And someone did. Amazing that the guy either didn't know what he was doing or did and sent out pictures...
musky-skunk
Posted 2/4/2008 10:49 AM (#298847 - in reply to #298835)

Well good for him... getting caught that is. I wonder what the fine is for killing a fish out of season. 10-15$ an inch would be cool
SHEEPHEAD
Posted 2/4/2008 11:02 AM (#298851 - in reply to #298835)

this is from the Mn DNR web

CO Jackie Glaser (Mound), along with CO Kahre, interviewed a fisherman who caught and kept a 52” muskie in a closed season from Lake Minnetonka. After several office phone calls and TIP calls regarding this muskie, COs Glaser and Kahre were able to locate the fisherman based on photos from the Internet and seized the muskie. CO Glaser also worked on background investigations and attended an EMT conference in Duluth.
Troyz.
Posted 2/4/2008 11:13 AM (#298854 - in reply to #298851)

It is my understanding from the Sunday Star Tribune, Linda Eastwood stated the fish was taken and that the angler was only given a written warning. No fine from my understanding, what a shame.

Troyz
SHEEPHEAD
Posted 2/4/2008 11:24 AM (#298857 - in reply to #298835)

Boy written warning and the CO had to do a lot a hunting for the guy. with all that effort you would hope they gave him a fine
lots of luck
Posted 2/4/2008 12:30 PM (#298874 - in reply to #298835)

This fish has gotten more email press lately than just about anything else internet Metro fishing and reports related.

I understand reg's are printed annually, but how do you handle a regulation change mid season or one that creates a season deadline within a quick time frame. I know there is no ignorance for the law, but in this case what if you didn't have internet access or access to information, or lived in a spider hole in the desert.

I am guessing this has something to do with the penalty that we are hearing about. The next go around for the next fella isn't going to result in just a warning.
Posted 2/4/2008 12:43 PM (#298877 - in reply to #298835)

nice to hear these kinds of responses...cause people are a lot more sympathetic on other sites. i agree, i thought he should have been fined too. great job of the dnr to make an example of this though, it shows that they are serious...and you have to like that. what a waste though, would have loved to have caught and released that fish properly on open water.
Hammskie
Posted 2/4/2008 12:45 PM (#298878 - in reply to #298835)

Rulez is rulez! Know your reg's or don't fish.

I just thought the "recovery attempt" was funny. This photo surfaced after the others, in an attempt to vindicate the poacher(s). It is most definitely Photoshopped.

(rel.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments rel.jpg (260KB - 153 downloads)
stinger
Posted 2/4/2008 1:19 PM (#298884 - in reply to #298878)

Pioneer Press story:

http://www.twincities.com//ci_8131158
lots of luck
Posted 2/4/2008 1:36 PM (#298890 - in reply to #298878)

Hammskie - 2/4/2008 1:45 PM

I just thought the "recovery attempt" was funny. This photo surfaced after the others, in an attempt to vindicate the poacher(s). It is most definitely Photoshopped.

Know your rules or don't fish? He knew the rules, just not the updated rules.

Please explain why this image is photoshopped? I don't have a trained eye.
muskie! nut
Posted 2/4/2008 2:04 PM (#298894 - in reply to #298835)

I read the link provided by stinger.

My question is why is this true? "She said the rule is designed to protect muskies because they don't survive well when caught and released through the ice."

Muskies surely don't survive if they are kept, but that statement above is false.
Marc J
Posted 2/4/2008 2:10 PM (#298896 - in reply to #298894)

I think the rule was mainly designed to save fish from the early ice angler who would keep it as a trophy, maybe spearers to a lesser extent.

They don't survive well when they're taken through the ice and kept.

Edited by Marc J 2/4/2008 2:23 PM
muskie! nut
Posted 2/4/2008 2:23 PM (#298898 - in reply to #298835)

Yes, I agree with your assessment Marc J, but to make up a reason is not a good thing for a law enforcement officer to do. I have emailed her for a clarification.
VMS
Posted 2/4/2008 2:26 PM (#298899 - in reply to #298835)

NOTE to all reading this: I have not read any articles, media on this fish therefore my opinion of this catch is based entirely on what has been listed in this particular thread...

I can understand a warning ticket this year... A rule-change mid-season that is not printed in the regs as a "Law in effect" at printing time of the regs book. If the guy is not in the Muskie-loop, I would not expect him to know the change ever happened until the following year.

From what I recall, the only way I knew about the change was on the internet boards. I don't recall it making the front page of any of the local papers, nor the TV/Radio News. So..I don't feel this particular fish would be the only isolated case of caught and kept in the state....just one that was a really nice fish.

Wrong to keep? Yes... Did he keep it KNOWING that the season was closed? We'll never know, nor does it really matter anymore (IMHO). Caught, warned/fined whatever happened is done...and hopefully a lesson learned. If anything, we can all look at this as a great example of keeping current on regulations of all fish species. "Know before you go"

I just hope others on here don't start berating this guy for something that might just have been an honest mistake... It's sad when that type of thing happens. We all "question" the honesty of others here and there, but all too often many start to brutalize someone for something without all of the facts. And...AND...typing a comment can be "read into" too far, because we cannot inflect any sort of sincerity in writing...it is very hard to do...

My fingers are crossed that this thread doesn't get messy...

Steve
Pointerpride102
Posted 2/4/2008 2:30 PM (#298900 - in reply to #298890)

lots of luck - 2/4/2008 1:36 PM

Take a look at the water line where the fish is half in and half out of the water....now take a look at the middle finger of the hand on the fish....its pretty clear to me that the shading was done around the hand.
Marc J
Posted 2/4/2008 2:39 PM (#298903 - in reply to #298900)

I think the reason Ms. Erikson stated in the paper would be much more acceptable to the general public than "a small group of dedicated anglers worked with the DNR to get this passed because we didn't want other people keeping our fish" so I can see where she's coming from.

Chalk it up as a quiet victory and let it be She doesn't have to justify the law to the public, she just has to enforce it.

I think the angler made a good faith attempt to follow the regs, I'd wonder more about the taxidermist who accepted it.

Edited by Marc J 2/4/2008 2:43 PM
Hammskie
Posted 2/4/2008 2:52 PM (#298907 - in reply to #298900)

Pointerpride102 - 2/4/2008 2:30 PM

lots of luck - 2/4/2008 1:36 PM

Take a look at the water line where the fish is half in and half out of the water....now take a look at the middle finger of the hand on the fish....its pretty clear to me that the shading was done around the hand.

Take a look at the edges of the fins as well... look a bit fuzzy??? Classic photoshopping flaw. Oh... and why isn't the date/time on the the release shot like the other ones?

P.S. Rulez is UPDATED rulez.

P.P.S. Please don't keep muskies.

Edited by Hammskie 2/4/2008 2:57 PM
MACK
Posted 2/4/2008 3:29 PM (#298917 - in reply to #298874)

lots of luck - 2/4/2008 12:30 PM

I understand reg's are printed annually, but how do you handle a regulation change mid season or one that creates a season deadline within a quick time frame. I know there is no ignorance for the law, but in this case what if you didn't have internet access or access to information, or lived in a spider hole in the desert.
:-O

If you're able to get your yearly fishing license in person, from any location that is able to sell/provide fishing licenses....you can pick up a copy of the current regulations right then and there from the same vendor location that you're getting your license from.

If you're getting your license off of the internet...then it's obvious that you can also get those same regulations from that same DNR site that you're getting your license from.

It shouldn't matter what species of fish you're after...you should know and be familiar with regs to all species...from the smallest panfish to the largest game fish.

No one should be so narrow minded and so closed minded to just study and know regs for just one species. If you know the regs for all species and know them well...you can help to keep your eyes out for any wrong-doings from other anglers as well...to help protect the fishery overall...

Nice fish. A shame it was kept out of season. I do realize that when out ice fishing...even for panfish and walleyes....muskies will bite and be hooked as well. So...that fish had a better chance of surviving by being released immediately...

As for the photoshopping of the pic of the fish in the man-made live well there in the ice.........I dunno....that's a tough call from such a small, low-res photo...seen on the web and seen on many different resolutions of computer monitors of different specs and ages....we may not all be seeing the same detail and we may not all be seeing the same colors being most people computer monitors are not color calibrated either.... :shrug:

Again...the same 'ole thing...too many variables to say one way or another..just like people trying to determine the size/length of a fish from a photo....way too many unknown variables...
Posted 2/4/2008 3:33 PM (#298921 - in reply to #298907)

its not the co's job to make sure everyone knows it...its up to the angler. that fish would have lived had the fish not been forced through an auger hole, paraded around the ice for pics in the cold air, or had to wait for the angler to drill five holes and then try and release...if you ask me and a lot of others, that angler got off with a slap on the wrist with just a warning
Troyz.
Posted 2/4/2008 3:50 PM (#298932 - in reply to #298921)

The regs book did state to check for further detail on the closing season for muskies if, there is 2 ways of doing this, checking web, or calling the Local DNR. So if really conserned he would have checked, this is the one of the reason why we pushed for early season close on musky in MN to prevent this incedental harvest of fish. I am wondering when the walleye reg change periodically on MIll Lacs if I take over limit or slot, I can use the same plea?

Troyz

The sad thing this is partially the DNR fault for dragging the feet to the last minute to get this proposed change in place, was sitting around for months and did not get passed till days before the DEC 1. Same problems we are having with the DNR getting going on new lakes.
lots of luck
Posted 2/4/2008 4:44 PM (#298956 - in reply to #298932)

I just wanted to play the devil's advocate in my questioning.

Troy Z. I think you nailed it with the timing. May have helped if it was in place much earlier in the season, prior to ice, or at the time the regulations book came out next season.

Muskiefool
Posted 2/4/2008 5:33 PM (#298966 - in reply to #298956)

2007 Reg Book States this

Regulation Changes That Could be Implemented

Discontinue muskie fishing in December.
It's not hard to understand as a matter of fact this is the first section I or any fishermen or hunter should look at when they buy a License I would imagine????

Ignorantia juris non excusat

The rationale behind the doctrine is that if ignorance were an excuse, persons charged with criminal offenses or the subject of civil lawsuits would merely claim they were unaware of the law in question to avoid liability, whether criminal or civil. Thus, the law imputes knowledge of all laws to all persons within the jurisdiction no matter how transiently.

The doctrine assumes that the law in question has been properly published and distributed, for example, by being printed in a government gazette, made available over the internet, or printed in volumes available for sale to the public at affordable prices.

SHEEPHEAD
Posted 2/4/2008 6:04 PM (#298975 - in reply to #298835)

Here it is 2007 Reg Book page 5
NEW REGULA
TIONS FOR 2007

Spearing season closes February 25 (pages 56 and 60).

Simultaneous spearing and angling now allowed (page 60).

Additions to infested waters list (page 69).

Spearing band lifted on French Lake (Rice County).
New Experimental/Special Regulations (pages 23-43)

Discontinue northern pike regulation on Wilkins Lake (Aitkin County).

48" minimum size limit on 47 muskie lakes and connecting waters and two rivers.

Added or modified quality regulations for walleye, bass, northern pike, sunfish and/or crappie on 28 lakes.
Key Lakes and Rivers With New Regulations This Year Include:
Bowstring (Itasca County)
Sand Lake and connecting waters (Itasca County)
Round Lake (Itasca County)
Upper Mississippi River
Kabetogama/Namakan Chain of Lakes (Koochiching, St. Louis
Counties)
Itasca State Park Lakes
Additions to Synopsis

Updated record fish list (page 75).

Clarification on transporting fish (page 11).

Bowfishing clarification (page 56).

Clarify daily and possession limit (page 4).

Clarify precedence of experimental/special regulations (page 23).
Regulation Changes That Could be Implemented

Opening lakes to winter trout fishing in Aitkin and Hubbard Counties.

Discontinue minnow harvest except by permit in the Cedar River
watershed to protect slender madtom.

Night bowfishing allowed on selected water bodies from June 1 to
August 31.

Allow larger bullheads to be used as bait in certain areas of the state.

Additional transportation and packing requirements.

Legalize some multiple hook configurations.

Discontinue muskie fishing in December.

Changes in opening dates for South Dakota border waters.

Change northern pike bag limit on Canadian border waters.

Change Basswood Lake on Canadian border to all inland season and
limits.
DNR Web site: www.dnr.state.mn.us 5
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)