Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Hand to hand combat, catching a fish a boatside!
- (Added by: big gun)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Making Marabou Tails

Message Subject: Making Marabou Tails
WOLF
Posted 2/1/2008 7:37 PM (#298310)
Subject: Making Marabou Tails

HEY GUYS AND GALS CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT PART OF THE MARABOU FEATHER TO USE WHEN MAKING BUCKTAILS DO YOU CUT OFF THE HAIR FROM THE STEM OR DO YOU USE WHOLE BARB AND STEM ITSELF IVE TIED ALOT OF BUCKTAILS USING DEERHAIR BUT NEVER TRIED MARABOU
CollegeMuskyHunter
Posted 2/1/2008 8:21 PM (#298323 - in reply to #298310)
Subject: RE: MAKING MARABOU TAILS

When I'm tying with marabou for my musky baits I usually use the entire feather, stem and all, I believe it has a better chance of staying in without the need for epoxy, also you may need the length, you can always trim the stem off after you've tied the marabou on. Experiment with multiple colors. The 'bous are one of my favorite to tie.
THE FERD
Posted 2/2/2008 6:51 AM (#298366 - in reply to #298310)
Subject: RE: MAKING MARABOU TAILS

I have used "wooly bugger marabou "with good results and there is no waste the whole feather is usable . Most fly tying shops have it in a lot of colors .

THE FERD
Legacy Lures
Posted 2/2/2008 7:46 PM (#298508 - in reply to #298310)
Subject: RE: Making Marabou Tails

Hi,
I just signed up , but I'll put my two cents in!!
I have been building bucktails for a while and I typically use the "strung" marabou feathers. I have used the bulk feathers in a bag(which are cheaper) but find that alot of the feathers in a bulk bag are junk or too small to use. I do use the whole feather including the "stem" and they all seem to turn out nicely. Marabou tails are a great way to get started in making your own lures as it seems like they always puff out nice and have alot of body to them.

Hope that helps.
Legacy Lures
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)