Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> best baits for Vermillion

Message Subject: best baits for Vermillion
Bigman
Posted 1/31/2008 3:43 PM (#297967)
Subject: best baits for Vermillion

I never fished Vermillion before and was wondering what is everyones favorite set of lures to use out on Vermillion. When I fished Mille Lacs it was all dogs in October, I would think Double Cowgirls should work good out there in July during the outing, I cant wait to throw the new Super Model out there, some top water, musky snax, there is nothing that can compare to a musky smashiing on a top water in front of you, baits like lowriders or choppers might work also giving the right time and place. Lets hear what everyone else thinks about lure choice on Vermillion ,Lets the games begin.
Cowboyhannah
Posted 1/31/2008 4:17 PM (#297974 - in reply to #297967)
Subject: Re: best baits for Vermillion

Everyone has their thoughts about what works, and given the pressure that lake gets, I'm not sure everyone will want to publicly post their 'secrets'. Consider it safe to say that double 10s and prop-style topwaters would not be poor choices.
MUSKYBOY
Posted 1/31/2008 4:18 PM (#297975 - in reply to #297967)

Topwaters and bucktails casting, and crank baits trolling
mikie
Posted 1/31/2008 5:31 PM (#297986 - in reply to #297967)

Whatever Ace tells you to throw...
worked for me! m
jlong
Posted 1/31/2008 7:11 PM (#298009 - in reply to #297986)

A handful of Cowgirls, Mepps Marabous, and LongTale Spinnerbaits is all I need to fish Vermilion.
happy hooker
Posted 2/1/2008 4:46 AM (#298080 - in reply to #298009)

living here in Minn
the last 3 Julys have been BEYOND hot!!
more then a hunch you will be doing mostly night fishing so bring your best night baits
Bigman
Posted 2/1/2008 7:10 AM (#298091 - in reply to #297967)

I don't think a lure description means much, we all know that dogs and double 10s been working on Mille Lacs but getting on the spot at the right time is another story, we can throw lures all day in dead water and not get hit or even see a fish. I think that lure choice is not the magical switch that is going to turn on these fish, the spots you are fishing and timing will. Its suppose to be fun guys.

Edited by Bigman 2/1/2008 7:12 AM
jlong
Posted 2/1/2008 7:45 AM (#298094 - in reply to #298091)

Well.... considering the outing will be on the West End... and is later in July.... targeting the slightly deeper structures should pay big dividends... especially during mid-day.

Maintaining a high-speed presentation at a greater depth has been very productive for me under those conditions on Vermilion. LongTale Spinnerbaits have been a good tool for that application. For example... if you are fishing a reef that tops out at 12 feet. At high noon many fish won't rise up to whack a Cowgirl burned only 6 inches under the surface.... but burn a LongShot over that same reef but 6 feet down.... and whamo... you get bit. And worst case.... rip&drop that spinnerbait making contact with the bottom of that 12 foot reef and you may also be pleasantly surprised when your high riding offerings are getting overlooked.

Otherwise I suppose you could wait until nighttime and fish then....
agrimm
Posted 2/1/2008 7:57 AM (#298098 - in reply to #297967)

The "best" bait is the one that gets eatin'. I'm not so sure it's the bait as much as the location, timing, presentation and color. Don't get sold on the theroy they'll eat when their hungry and keep throwing the same lure. I found we need to adapt to the weather and present fishing situation. Don't assume there will be less pressure at night...last July's full moon set was at 3:40 a.m. I launched my boat at 2:30 a.m. looking to fish 4 spots and all had a boat on it. What has worked in the past in my boat have been metal blades w/ purple, red, white and/or gray in the light/full moon and colored and/or all black blades when dark. Fast moving gliders with eratic movement are good second through lures. White blades seemed to move a lot of fish too. Rougher water - louder top water...pacemaker, chooper, low riders, etc. Calm water slower moving...weagle. creeper, hog wobbler (Howie). On mid lake humps, a Longtale, Dawg and/or DDD has worked - cisco style first, then adding color, like Chart. Another bait not to overlook are tubes, especially if you see a lot of big crayfish. On those really wind blown shorelines and reefs, talking about 2-4 foot waves, try crashing a Jake/Grandma off the shallow rocks. Best of luck!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)