Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Question on 175 Evinrude

Reply New post
Message Subject: Question on 175 Evinrude
Reef Hawg
Posted 1/29/2008 6:28 PM (#297379)
Subject: Question on 175 Evinrude

A friend of mine(manufacturer of the G Log topwater) is looking at a boat with a 175 Evinrue Intruder on it. The boat is a Stratos 219F. He is an old OMC guy to start with, but was wondering if that was a good motor, for the most part. He was also wondering what that boat was like and how it handled. The rig is a 1998. I don't remember the asking price, but it didn't sound too bad. Thanks in advance for any info I can give him.

Edited by Reef Hawg 1/30/2008 9:41 AM
bluegill
Posted 1/29/2008 7:20 PM (#297403 - in reply to #297379)
Subject: Re: Question on 175 Evenrude

Is this boat in Ohio? I saw a 98 219 dual console with 175 Evinrude and kicker here for like $10,900. Wondered if its a good deal.

Eric
dougj
Posted 1/29/2008 7:30 PM (#297407 - in reply to #297379)
Subject: RE: Question on 175 Evenrude

The 219's are great boats, had one for around six years. Great muskie fishing boats, and very versatile. Had a 150 Intruder on mine, and it was fine except you had better be ready to buy lots of gas. Lots of get up and go, but low gas mileage.
Finely blow it up after around two years, but that's not too much different than any other outboard I've had. Both are probably a good thing if you can pay for the gas.

Doug Johnson
sworrall
Posted 1/29/2008 9:17 PM (#297457 - in reply to #297379)
Subject: Re: Question on 175 Evenrude

Like Doug said.
Reef Hawg
Posted 1/30/2008 10:13 AM (#297546 - in reply to #297379)
Subject: RE: Question on 175 Evinrude

Nope, it is actually in central WI, and slightly more $$. That does sound like a pretty good deal. I suspect Evinrude may have had a deal with Stratos at that time?? I was under the same assumption regarding gas usage for the rig, Doug. My buddies dad was a mechanic before retiring and cautioned him on the same. My only concern is not being able to test run the rig this time of year for handling and mechanical check. My dad is going to lend him a compression meter, but isn't that a bit tricky in the cold? i suggested some type of written contract if he does buy, or maybe a gamble and wait till spring for open water...

Thanks much for the info., dudes!
Shep
Posted 1/30/2008 10:50 AM (#297557 - in reply to #297546)

That boat was wicked fast with that 175 on it, but it's a carbed motor, and they went through gas like crazy. Great boat for muskies, and walleyes. Pretty good in the rough stuff, too. Lots of those paired up with the 150 and 175 Intruders back then. Look in NADA.com for pricing guideline.
WF
Posted 1/30/2008 11:55 AM (#297572 - in reply to #297557)

If it's in Arcadia then I know the boat, been in it before it's a good boat and well maintained. I have three friends that have had these boats over the years and they are a good buy on the used market, and are fun to fish out of. I believe the seller of the one you are referring to ordered a new X-190 through Holmen, which is a similar style of boat.

Yes these boats were packaged with 150 and 175 Evinrudes when they sold new.

Zach
bluegill
Posted 1/30/2008 8:42 PM (#297775 - in reply to #297379)
Subject: Re: Question on 175 Evinrude

My biggest concern with the package would be the trailer. I haven't seen a ton of Stratos trailers, but the ones I have seen have been rusty and corroding to the point of concern. I'm no expert, but I'd look it over carefully.

Eric
bluegill
Posted 2/2/2008 6:20 PM (#298489 - in reply to #297379)

Reef Hawg,

I went out to look at that 219 DC today, and I have to admit I am fairly impressed. If they had extended the front deck all the way to the consoles and made it the same level as the rod locker/livewell bins on the side, it would be a killer boat. Dual axle trailer was in pretty good shape, too. I was really looking it over until I noticed the 175 Johnson on the back was a '98 FICHT. Bad year on that one! I suppose if they offered it to me for the cost of the boat and trailer, I would buy it and wait for the outboard to pop, but I doubt they'll do that. I think I'd rather have a reliable motor that used 2X the fuel to a ticking timebomb with $5000 repair bills.

Hope your buddy finds a good one. Make sure he looks at NADA for values. The one I was looking at is at monroevillemarine.com if it helps for bargaining purposes.

Eric
Reef Hawg
Posted 2/3/2008 10:30 AM (#298611 - in reply to #297379)

Buddy called me yesterday while I was bringing the new family home. He said it wasn't as advertised. The livewells had inches of ice looking to be compromising the units, excessive gouges on the bottom that made one wonder, muck stuck in the intakes to the point of wondering how it breathed, 'customized' larger opennings in the livewells that appeared to have been done by a sawz-all, and tires completely worn, on the right outside, and on left inside.... The dude said he forgot to grease the bearings for a couple years, but it should be fine now.. He did say the carpet looked great, and the appearance of the gel coat on the outside of the boat was also nice. He decided to pass. While Grant knows he's a bit picky, he knows he can find a nice used rig somewhere. He did like the overall layout, and wished it would have been in better sdhape for the price asked($12,000). I'll tell him about the one you mentioned above, and also invited him over to check the classifieds here. Thank you.

Edited by Reef Hawg 2/3/2008 10:34 AM
MuskyTime
Posted 2/16/2008 3:33 PM (#301491 - in reply to #297379)

Hey Jason,

A little late on this one....

My boat is a 91 219W and it had a 175 Intruder on it when I purchased it. The gas issue is the reason I run a 175 Suzuki now. She ran great but she was a thirsty B.

That price sounded a little high anyway. I paid $10,500 for mine four years ago! A great boat none the less for musky and multi species fishing. She slips in shallow launches and handles big water fine. The reason I purchased a new motor was because I liked the way it fishes.

I love my Stratos trailer and have never had any issues with it?

If he finds another one in good shape he will not be disappointed in how it fishes.

Ed Spoerl
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)