Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Wisconsin Regulators Approve New Rules for Fishing Tournaments

Message Subject: Wisconsin Regulators Approve New Rules for Fishing Tournaments
gtp888
Posted 1/23/2008 12:11 PM (#295771)
Subject: Wisconsin Regulators Approve New Rules for Fishing Tournaments

http://wkow.madison.com/News/index.php?ID=18465
MRoberts
Posted 1/23/2008 4:19 PM (#295838 - in reply to #295771)
Subject: RE: Wisconsin Regulators Approve New Rules for Fishing Tournaments

The following link may be an interesting read for anyone interested.

http://dnr.wi.gov/fish/fishingtournaments/Fishing%20Tournament%20Ru...

There may have been modifications to the proposal since the FAQ was generated so it would be nice to see exactly what passed.

From looking at the agenda, I believe this is what the board took action on.

http://dnr.wi.gov/fish/fishingtournaments/FH-22-06_hearing_order_fi...

Nail A Pig!

Mike
sworrall
Posted 1/23/2008 4:28 PM (#295843 - in reply to #295838)

Some more on this:

http://wkow.madison.com/News/index.php?ID=18465

Background on pages 1-6. New rules begin on page 7.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/fish/fishingtournaments/FH-22-06_11-7-07...
Don Pfeiffer
Posted 1/23/2008 6:25 PM (#295878 - in reply to #295771)

Thats just what we need is for more regulation from them in an area that did not need it. They say they are spread so thin and can't do the work they have now to do. Why do they waste time on these kinds of issues.

Pfeiff
jlong
Posted 1/24/2008 11:53 AM (#296053 - in reply to #295878)

Anyone care to summarize the above links?
Oneida Esox
Posted 1/24/2008 12:57 PM (#296080 - in reply to #296053)

Section 34.567 Paragraph 11;

Anyone with the last name of Long has to pay an additional $5,000 for entry into any WI tournament.

Didn't really give a reason why????
jlong
Posted 1/24/2008 9:39 PM (#296231 - in reply to #296080)

Now that's just totally unfair. I'm sending the governor a letter!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Champs 9-04.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Champs 9-04.jpg (25KB - 140 downloads)
ulbian
Posted 1/25/2008 12:54 AM (#296255 - in reply to #295771)

jlong,
at least you could have posted a pic of the sweet ring you won but instead you torment us with that picture. hehehehe.
MRoberts
Posted 1/25/2008 9:42 AM (#296300 - in reply to #295771)
Subject: Re: Wisconsin Regulators Approve New Rules for Fishing Tournaments

As much fun as it would be to continue to rip on my Hodag partner, (Can’t wait for that big check picture of us) I will try and answer his question.

Couple items of interest, I am sure this is more:

(2) DEFINITIONS. In this section:

c) “Catch-hold-release tournament” means a fishing tournament where fish caught by participants are reduced to possession and transported, usually for purposes of recording, and live fish are then released to the water from which they came. This format was previously referred to as a “live-release” tournament.

(e) “Immediate-release tournament” means a fishing tournament where fish caught by participants are not reduced to possession and transported, but are held only long enough for identification and to document length or weight or both, and released to the water from which they came.

(n) “Possess” for the purposes of this section means to own, control, restrain, transport or keep. Once a fish is possessed, it shall be counted towards the angler’s daily bag limit pursuant to s. NR720.05(7). Any of the following conditions constitute possession:
1. Holding a fish out of the water longer than necessary to remove hooks and measure the fish for length, weight or both.
2. Placing a fish into a live well except to revive a fish or to avoid imminent boating danger.
3. Holding a fish at the side of a stationary boat for longer than necessary to register and revive the fish.
4. Resuming fishing by any angler in the boat prior to the release of the fish.

(n) “Traditional fishing tournament” means a fishing tournament that was issued permits 4 out of 5 years from 2003 to 2007, for the same water or waters and time period. Beginning January 1, 2008, traditional fishing tournaments shall continue to be conducted at least 4 out of 5 years for the same waterbody and time period to remain a traditional fishing tournament

There are additional permit fee requirements based on the type and size of the event, $25, $100, and $200.

(10) GENERAL PROVISIONS AND PERMIT CONDITIONS.

(c) No person may conduct a fishing tournament on any of the following:
1. Opening weekend of a fishing season of a particular species if fishing tournament targets that species.
2. 3-day Memorial Day weekend
3. Fourth of July.
4. 3-day Labor Day weekend unless it is a traditional fishing tournament.

(g) The following provisions apply to catch-hold-release tournaments:

1. There will be a daily bag limit of 3 walleye from the second Saturday in June to the first Sunday in September for all catch-hold-release tournaments on all waters with a daily bag limit of 3 walleye or greater. There will be daily bag limit of 3 bass from first Saturday in July to the second Sunday

Note: These dates are the approximate dates when some Wisconsin waters reach threshold water temperatures that cause increased delayed mortality for bass species and walleye.

2. No person may conduct a catch-hold-release tournament for muskellunge, northern pike, sturgeon or trout with an off-site weigh-in.

3. No person may conduct a catch-hold-release tournament unless they follow the conditions related to fish handling specified on the permit.

4. No person may participate in a catch-hold-release tournament unless their boat is equipped with a live well that is demonstrated to the tournament organizer as functioning properly prior to fishing in the fishing tournament.

8. The department may include the following permit conditions related to tournament operation for permitted catch-hold-release tournaments at the point of permit issue when it determines that environmental conditions are not conducive to survival of fish intended for release and the release may constitute unreasonable waste of natural resources under the provisions of s. 23.095 (1g), Stats.
a. The department may restrict the area that may be fished by fishing tournament participants to reduce the time that fish are held in live wells, the distance fish are transported to a weigh-in site or both.
b. The department may require redistribution of released fish.

(i) Pursuant to s. NR 20.05 (7), any fish taken into possession by an individual and not released immediately shall be included as part of the individual's daily bag limit. (Mroberts note: IF THIS IS ACTUALY INFORCED, CATCH-HOLD-RELEASE TOURNYS BECOME MUCH MORE DIFICULT. If a tourney promoter does not follow the permit regs, and gets caught they loose the right to apply for a permit for 5 years)

There is more in there than just this, but this is what most fishermen would probably be most concerned with. Promoters will be much more interested in the rule. One of the big changes from previous versioins was (10) g. That used to state “NO CATCH-HOLD-RELEASE EVENTS IN JULY AND AUGUST” that must have been there compromise.

Hope that helps.

Mike
jlong
Posted 1/25/2008 12:47 PM (#296339 - in reply to #296300)

Thanks, Mike, for posting the details.

Looks to me like these regs promote the "Immediate Release" format.... but I see a conflict with their definition of "possession" that may even render that format unfeasible.

1. Holding a fish out of the water longer than necessary to remove hooks and measure the fish for length, weight or both.

Seems like we have another "position fishing" type issue here.... with the verbage "longer than necessary". Holy Kamoli does that leave things up for debate!!!!

3. Holding a fish at the side of a stationary boat for longer than necessary to register and revive the fish.

Well then... if I were a pessimist, I'd interpret that to suggest that even a Judge Boat format may not be feasible since you'd have to "hold the fish in a net at boatside until a judge arrived".

Hmmmmm.

MRoberts
Posted 1/25/2008 2:02 PM (#296356 - in reply to #296339)

J, I think paragraph one is there to stop someone who may want to bring a fish into the bottom of the boat and hold it there until the judge boat gets there. It does say. “Holding a fish out of the water……” That should be pretty easy to gauge. Though I do think photograph should have been added to this language.

Paragraph 3 specifically says “register” so if the judge takes 5 or 10 minutes to get to the site of capture I think it’s covered even it takes longer. Though in my opinion it shouldn’t ever take more than 5 or 10 minutes, even if a judge is judging another fish at the time.

You are correct though everyone’s interpretation of “longer than necessary” could come into play. But I say spirit of the rule, should apply. If the fish is laying in the bottom of the boat after being unhooked and the anglers are high fiving and drinking a celebratory beverage, I would say that is longer than necessary.

Nail a Pig!

Mike
Dave N
Posted 1/28/2008 9:13 AM (#296873 - in reply to #295878)

Don Pfeiffer wrote: "Thats just what we need is for more regulation from them in an area that did not need it. They say they are spread so thin and can't do the work they have now to do. Why do they waste time on these kinds of issues?"

Dave: Mandated by the Wisconsin State Legislature. We do not have the option of ignoring their directive to act on this. That's all I'm going to say about it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)