Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Muskie Stamps?

Message Subject: Muskie Stamps?
Magruter
Posted 1/22/2008 1:08 PM (#295486)
Subject: Muskie Stamps?

We have to purchase stamps for trout and other great lake fish. Most of the fundings from these stamps go back to restocking efforts and species studies. Would it be worth while to pursue having to purchase a muskie stamp? Me personally I wouldn't have a problem paying $10 to fish. Would you?
Do you guides think this would hurt your business?
muskie! nut
Posted 1/22/2008 1:14 PM (#295489 - in reply to #295486)
Subject: Re: Muskie Stamps?

The US Post Office had muskie stamps at one time. Only worth about a quarter if I remember right.
DUCK
Posted 1/22/2008 2:15 PM (#295505 - in reply to #295489)

LOL nut

I wouldnt mine it if all the money went back into stocking muskies. Just 1 less bait I can buy in a years time. (have enough already anyways)

I gat a duck stamp (state and fed), Late season goose, pheasent stamps every year so why not add one more.

Dont think it will ever happen. Peeps can just say they are fishing for northerns.
Magruter
Posted 1/22/2008 2:17 PM (#295506 - in reply to #295505)

What about the people that are looking to harvest?

Do you think having a $10 stamp would stop some of the accidental catch harvests?

Edited by Magruter 1/22/2008 2:19 PM
happy hooker
Posted 1/22/2008 2:22 PM (#295507 - in reply to #295489)

How do you enforce it???
since muskie anglers release their catches people will claim that they are fishing for pike and not buy it.
Then the sales of musky stamps wouldnt acurately reflect the true number of muskie anglers and then maybe influence state agencys to spend less on the muskie budget.

easy to enforce a trout stamp if your on a trout stream or great lake. But on a warm water lake who do you make pay,,if Im fishing a daredevil am I muskie fishing,,If Im pulling a 6 inch rappala in the fall on Mille Lacs for trophy walleyes do I need to buy a stamp because some muskie lures are 6 inches long too.

I dont think it works
reelman
Posted 1/22/2008 2:27 PM (#295509 - in reply to #295486)

Yep it must be winter again as this topic comes up every winter, next up is if Spray's fish was really that big!

In Wisconsin we have way to many taxes the way it is, we don't need another "user fee" tacked on top of the already outragous taxes we pay. Remember that Doyle promised us no new taxes! (I just threw up a little!)

Another thing is why would we need one? Trout and pheasant stamps are used for stocking of fish and birds in a basic put and take system. The musky population is probably stronger than it ever has been.
sworrall
Posted 1/22/2008 2:31 PM (#295512 - in reply to #295486)

Spray's fish was as big as it was, however big that was.

A muskie stamp is probably not going to be a real popular item, but that's my guess.
ulbian
Posted 1/22/2008 3:54 PM (#295541 - in reply to #295486)
Subject: RE: Muskie Stamps?

Yeah, how would it be enforced? Is it a stamp that would allow you to fish for muskies or to harvest one? What defines "fishing for muskies?"

I feel much better taking that 10 or 20 bucks and kicking it into a local club. A fishery manager I know has expressed the same thought. That 10 bucks has a more immediate impact with a local group than it does a governmental agency.
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/22/2008 4:33 PM (#295567 - in reply to #295486)

Not a stamp but what about the FET from fishign eq. sales? Does taht go back into just fishign or into a general "nature" fund? I have a call into my IRS contact for an FET question, I will ask him if he knows where the money goes. I like the idea of a stamp myself as long as the money woudl go to the stamp (aka fish) you choose to buy. So you coudl buy a muskie, walleye, bass etc and the funds would go to the stocking of that fish. Just an idea...
Posted 1/22/2008 4:33 PM (#295568 - in reply to #295486)

Angler harvest is the single biggest contributor to harming Wisconsin's northern waters. NOT spearing, NOT post mortality, NOT a C&R season. Many creel surveys show 5X the sport angler harvest vs. regulated spearing. Yet, everyone complains about the other things. I think it's time to be more dedicated to increased size limits and quit worrying about all of the other crap we can't control.

How's Green Bay's tourism with a new musky fishery and a 50"size limit. . . Oh yeah, it's as busy as their spring walleye fishing where only one over 28" is allowed. Last time I checked the gas station, Arby's and water are full of tourists.

We are making this far too complicated on ourselves.

HIGHER SIZE LIMITS ON TROPHY WATERS = BIGGER MUSKIES, MORE MONEY, THE TWO THINGS PEOPLE CARE ABOUT.
sworrall
Posted 1/22/2008 4:40 PM (#295571 - in reply to #295486)

Excuse me, Guest, where did you get THAT? I don't see those issues brought up in this thread.

'Angler harvest is the single biggest contributor to harming Wisconsin's northern waters. NOT spearing, NOT post mortality, NOT a C&R season. Many creel surveys show 5X the sport angler harvest vs. regulated spearing. Yet, everyone complains about the other things. I think it's time to be more dedicated to increased size limits and quit worrying about all of the other crap we can't control.'

Many creel surveys show that, do they? Post them please; I'd love to see that data, mostly because I tend to agree with your comment about harvest here.

The Wanderer
Posted 1/22/2008 4:53 PM (#295578 - in reply to #295568)

Higher size limits definitely, and how bout instead of a muskie stamp why not a harvest tag. This could be comparable to deer hunting, bear hunting, sturgeon spearing. If a person was going to keep a muskie they would then have to take that fish and register it. I think the DNR could accumulate better harvests records, size of fish, lake, date, time, etc. Other species anglers may not like having to put back their accidental trophy, but this would keep down the number of muskies harvested. The whole idea doesn't seem too unreasonable to me, but I've been wrong plenty of times before.
reelman
Posted 1/22/2008 5:41 PM (#295586 - in reply to #295486)

If they want to limit the harvest more then either put a higher size limit or a alot limit, don't make people pay more.
sworrall
Posted 1/22/2008 6:12 PM (#295592 - in reply to #295486)

Who's 'they'? That, IMHO, represents the challenge.
bulldawger
Posted 1/23/2008 10:08 AM (#295736 - in reply to #295486)

Why not just donate say 10-50 dollars to your local musky club or the club that stocks the lake(s) you fish instead of the stamp idea?
It has been tried by Maina and others and was defeated. We all have no problem spending 20 a bait, 150 a reel, 200 a rod but yet how many of us give money for stocking efforts to the lakes we fish? How many guides in MN or any state for that matter kick in money to the stocking efforts of the lakes they make a living off of ?
We want the dnr to have a seperate stamp or fund for musky stocking but wouldn't it be easier to just give money that goes directly to stocking efforts by musky clubs?
Magruter the cap city club will gladly take that $10 from you.
Posted 1/23/2008 10:20 AM (#295745 - in reply to #295486)

Bulldawger, I have donated plenty of money to muskies inc club, as I think most guides should.

I am 100% against a stamp because people will buy them and when they don't "bag" a trophy they will just simply use it to use it.

Musky stamps I think will kill more fish...because we all have heard the excuse 100,000 times before...I bought a license...or it's my right....

I would not support a stamp at all.

MIKE HULBERT
woody
Posted 1/23/2008 10:30 AM (#295748 - in reply to #295486)

In theory it would work, and I wouldn't have a problem paying for it. However, I just can't see the ENTIRE sum from the stamps being put towards muskie fisheries management. It always seems, especially in this state, that somebody is skimming off the top, and the DNR, who often receives the negative publicity, is usually not to blame. (From what I've heard, seen and read)
musky-skunk
Posted 1/23/2008 10:34 AM (#295749 - in reply to #295486)

I for one do donate an additional 50$ a year in addition to club dues, and it does not stop harvest of 40"+ fish (Iowa). It often bothers me that we are losing 5+ year old fish (40"+) and continually replacing them with yearling fish... I think I'd rather see those larger more valuable fish not being kept and reduce stockings if necessary. I say this becouse the IDNR does not wish to stock more fish, they produce enough that 75% of fingerlings are traded to other states for different species. So protecting the limited number they are willing to stock is the only option left.

If it could ever be agreed on to have a harvest tag/stamp for muskies I would be pleased becouse most of the harvest in the state is by people not targeting muskies and so would not buy a stamp (meaning they'd have to release them). I for one would buy one with no intention of keeping a fish but just to pledge my support.

I would also like to note I am saying this as a possible regulation in Iowa where a musky doesn't have to be a trophy to be considered a keeper. I am not as familiar with the angler education and individual concerns present in other states and so wouldn't know wheather a stamp would be a pro or con.

Edited by musky-skunk 1/23/2008 10:42 AM
Mr Musky
Posted 1/23/2008 9:33 PM (#295922 - in reply to #295486)

A Musky Stamp has been talked about for many years now, it has been brought up and shot down as fast as it was brought up. Alot of musky fisherman here in WI dont realize that the majority of the stocking funds in WI go towards stocking of walleyes and other gamefish, very little is spent on musky stocking because the number of musky anglers compared to the numbers of "other specie" anglers is very small so we get a very small piece of the pie when it comes to state funds for stocking here in WI. It is the small local clubs and I mean less the 100 people who come up with the extra thousands of dollars to pick up suplimental stockings here and there. The most important fundraiser of the year which helps out those small clubs is the Musky Alliance Tickets that are sold for the National Championship Musky Open every year. A percentage goes towards the clubs and the other percentage goes towards the alliance and used for stocking. So besides that there isnt a whole lot of money out there for research or stocking programs. I personally think that a tag system would encourage people to harvest a musky. I personally think a Stamp system would encourage people to help out and do their part and know that their $10 dollars is going to help out and make their favorite sport even better. It in my mind would not encourage anybody to harvest a fish just because they bought a stamp. They would feel better knowing that they were able to chip in to make the lakes better. Now Little Johnny might have a problem when he hooks into that musky of a lifetime because he does not have a stamp. Well that's the way it is. It would be a great source of suplimental funds for stocking and musky research!!! And I am 100% for it.

Mr Musky

Edited by Mr Musky 1/23/2008 9:35 PM
crackpot
Posted 1/24/2008 8:12 AM (#295975 - in reply to #295486)

Skunk...the problem I see with a tag or stamp for Iowa is that it seems that a big majority of the muskies that I hear about being harvested here are by people that are not even sure what they just caught...many think they are pike and many that can properly identify it are not even aware of the current regulations of a 40" minimum length to keep a musky. This has been my experience and this is happening on lakes that have signs posted at every boat ramp about fish identification and the length limit...people apparantly don't pay attention to those things.
Posted 1/24/2008 8:25 AM (#295979 - in reply to #295486)

A musky stamp would require more goverment, more regulation, more enforcement, etc. Why would anyone want to support more government?

Do you really believe the funds would be kept safe from the goverement theives like Blagoyovich in IL who have demonstrated they don't care about sacred accounts? If you are not aware Blago has raped the DNR to fund projects totally unrelated to wildlife. If this recession settles in for several quarters every state will likely see a decline in tax revenues and will be foreced to make big budget changes. Don't understimate what your state representatives might do. There's more blago's out there. I say don't set aside money they have access to. There is a mechanism for this money already in place and you don't have to question where it goes. Give it to your local club. IMHO what we need to do is educate the public about this channel and market the need for them to donate. If you are not already doing, get some well marked stocking jars and display them at all your local tackle shops. They work!
hodaghawg
Posted 1/24/2008 8:27 AM (#295980 - in reply to #295486)

How about we drift towards less regulation, especially in Wis. IMO the DNR has things so screwed up, especially deer season that they can't be trusted. Lets get the head of the DNR an appointed person who actually knows biology, not someone with his hand in Doyles pockets.

I think the fisheries biologists are doing the best job they can but being influenced by politicians way too much!
schrump
Posted 1/25/2008 1:41 PM (#296353 - in reply to #295486)

If it was done right a muskie stamp in my opinion could be a very successful idea if:
1) It wasn't mandatory to have one, mostly in part because it would be too hard to enforce. It could be done somewhat like the wildlife license plates in Minnesota. Basically, an option for those fishermen interested in supporting something they believe in.
2) If all the income generated from the stamps was used solely for the purpose of stocking and research efforts regarding ol' Esox.
Obviously a person who targets Muskies a few times a year probably isn't going to bother with a stamp...But, I would think most people that are truly interested in the sport and the future of the sport would have no problem donating a few bucks a year through a stamp if they knew it was going directly back in to the fishery.
musky-skunk
Posted 1/25/2008 4:40 PM (#296382 - in reply to #295975)

crackpot - 1/24/2008 8:12 AM

Skunk...the problem I see with a tag or stamp for Iowa is that it seems that a big majority of the muskies that I hear about being harvested here are by people that are not even sure what they just caught...many think they are pike and many that can properly identify it are not even aware of the current regulations of a 40" minimum length to keep a musky. This has been my experience and this is happening on lakes that have signs posted at every boat ramp about fish identification and the length limit...people apparantly don't pay attention to those things.

I quess I couldn't agree more. Thats my experience as well. Even the people that know its a musky rarely realize that big white sign with the "40" LENGTH LIMIT-MUSKELLUNGE" on it means you have to release them. If they can't figure that out then a musky stamp would probably make there head start smoking!
Got Esox?
Posted 1/25/2008 8:23 PM (#296407 - in reply to #295486)

I think the sole future of our Musky Fisheries relies on one thing:
A joint effort between the DNR and Musky Clubs to establish and maintain sucessful fisheries through stocking programs and an effort to educate the general public on practicing catch & release... on all species. This has worked in Green Bay, now the education of the general public is the main focus there.

Establish fishery, Maintain fishery, and Educate those in the fishery.

Oh yeah, I feel the Musky Stamp would cause more problems than it would fix.

Edited by Got Esox? 1/25/2008 8:25 PM
Don Pfeiffer
Posted 1/27/2008 4:41 PM (#296759 - in reply to #295486)

Would rather see a tag. When you buy your lic. You get one tag with your lic. That way if one dies on you as it did Mr. Gelb you tag it and its a kept fish. One tag per angler. Since many anglers are c&r anyway it would not affect them unless one is in too bad a shape to let go. For those that harvest it would limit them to one. The tag nunber would match one on your lic. Therefore if your caught with a tagged kept one and the tag does not match yours or any lic. in the boat it would be a ticket for you. Simple enough! With each lic. sold a pamphlet should also be given out that explains how to handle and release muskies safely. Maybe the musky clubs could help write that up. Think it would be a good step towards education on it to the less experienced angler.

Pfeiff
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)