Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Boats used in salt water.

Reply New post
Message Subject: Boats used in salt water.
KARLOUTDOORS
Posted 1/16/2008 2:24 PM (#294426)
Subject: Boats used in salt water.

What affects does salt water have on a boat/motor that someone from midamerica should be aware of before buying a boat used in salt water???? Anyone have any experience with this????
Karl
AFChief
Posted 1/16/2008 3:19 PM (#294436 - in reply to #294426)
Subject: RE: Boats used in salt water.

Increased potential for corrosion to the lower unit. Check the artificial anode/cathode for damage (not sure if this is the correct reference but there is some type of continuity // corrosion system on most engines that help manage/protect from corrosion). I would question if the boat was ever left the boat in the water for extended periods and check to make wsure the user knows, understand and made a habit of flushing the lower unit / engine after removing the boat from the water / after use. I don't know if there are any easy inspection to do to check for internal corrosion. This might be a question to ask of a mechanic.

Other things that might help
- Hours on the motor, how much actual use it had
- Age of boat
Muskie Pat
Posted 1/16/2008 3:41 PM (#294439 - in reply to #294426)
Subject: Re: Boats used in salt water.

I fish both salt and freshwater. I use 2 different boats, however. How well do you know the seller and his maintenance practices? Unless you can't live without this boat, I would avoid it. Boats on the east coast lose value rapidly when they go into the BIG lake. Hope this helps. Pat
bluegill
Posted 1/16/2008 5:14 PM (#294453 - in reply to #294426)

The electrical system in the boat is another source for corrosion to wreak havoc, but the biggest concern I'd have would be the trailer. My buddy bought a boat from here in the Midwest that got used on a one week trip in saltwater; he fought corrosion issues with that trailer til the day he traded it in. Granted, it wasn't a galvanized trailer built for saltwater use, but those still need proper attention.

Eric
muskihntr
Posted 1/16/2008 7:49 PM (#294471 - in reply to #294426)

all i know is when i used to go offshore with my former brother in law..every singe day we came off the water we spent at least an hour scrubbing and hosing down the boat and equipment. whether we were going out the next day or not, he religously scrubbed everything down. it was alot of work, which tells me the saltwater can and will take its toll if not properly cared for!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)