Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> various rod guide / wrap choices...

Message Subject: various rod guide / wrap choices...
STUSHSKY
Posted 1/12/2008 11:02 AM (#293593)
Subject: various rod guide / wrap choices...

With many more people, including myself, having or considering having custom rods made for the first time, i was curious if anyone would like to post some close-up pictures of the various guide / wrap combinations that they have had put on their sticks. This may help others as they sort through the seemingly endless options and combinations available out there. Personally, I am having my first customs built by keith @ pro edge on the st. croix legend blanks and would like to see some pictures of those but any pictures would be very helpful to anyone out there as they go through this process....thanks upfront to all who choose to respond as we will all benefit...!

stushsky

Edited by STUSHSKY 1/12/2008 2:01 PM
Marc J
Posted 1/12/2008 12:39 PM (#293612 - in reply to #293593)
Subject: RE: various rod guide / wrap choices...

I have an XXXX that Keith made for me last year. I didn't get any fancy wraps as I prefer the plain and simple but the quality was impecable, so i don't know that pics would be of great help to you.

Consider all the different colors of thread out there, usually when they go on the rod they end up in a slightly lighter shade than you would think. Any type of design you can come up with by wrapping thread around a rod should be easy. I think the standard is a main color with a different color on the top and bottom of the wrap for trim.

I went with the standard guide upgrade suggested by Keith.
STUSHSKY
Posted 1/12/2008 1:16 PM (#293616 - in reply to #293612)

hi marc...thanks for responding...i think what you "said" is exactly what some people really want to "see"...plain and simple, as you put it, is "perfect" for some while others might want to "see" some of the more extreme possibilities that exist and everything in between...!...so your picture(s) would be of great value if you would like to share them...!...the part about the wrap colors "changing" slightly when coated can also be an important consideration for some...to "see" numerous pictures with descriptions of the colors that are shown along with what type of guides are being shown would go a long way...!

stushsky
whitetails
Posted 1/12/2008 1:51 PM (#293619 - in reply to #293593)

Here are som wraps that
Sean Bermingham of Dadsons Custom rods
Did on mine and my wifes rods.
Pic's dosen't do it justice.
The diamond wrap Just makes the rods stand out.

Edited by whitetails 1/12/2008 1:54 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(103_0216.jpg)

(103_0219.jpg)

(103_0218.jpg)

(103_0220.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 103_0216.jpg (21KB - 214 downloads)
Attachments 103_0219.jpg (14KB - 206 downloads)
Attachments 103_0218.jpg (20KB - 207 downloads)
Attachments 103_0220.jpg (35KB - 202 downloads)
Marc J
Posted 1/12/2008 2:00 PM (#293621 - in reply to #293616)

Stush - I don't own a camera right now but soon..........

Those are some sweet diamond wraps - if I build another rod this winter I think I'll try it.
ShaneW
Posted 1/13/2008 8:41 PM (#293865 - in reply to #293621)

Here's the wrap that Ron Walter from Pike Lake Custom Rods did for me last year.

Shane

Edited by ShaneW 1/13/2008 8:42 PM

(rod1.jpg)

(rod2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments rod1.jpg (24KB - 223 downloads)
Attachments rod2.jpg (24KB - 225 downloads)
just_one_more_cast
Posted 1/13/2008 8:54 PM (#293870 - in reply to #293593)

Here are some of the butt wraps I had at the Chicago show this weekend.
just_one_more_cast
Posted 1/13/2008 8:57 PM (#293872 - in reply to #293593)

Here are some of the buttwraps I had at the show this weekend. It was great to meet alot of people from MuskieFirst.

(T-Bird-Red-White-&-Blue.gif)

(T-Bird-Met-Blue-&-Silver.gif)

(Spider-Dark-Green-&-Gold.gif)

(Scale-Dark-Blue-&-Silver.gif)

(Scale-6-axis-Black-&-Met-Re.gif)

(Scale-8-axis-Black-&-Met-Li.gif)

(3-D-Iowa-Hawkeyes.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments T-Bird-Red-White-&-Blue.gif (84KB - 213 downloads)
Attachments T-Bird-Met-Blue-&-Silver.gif (93KB - 233 downloads)
Attachments Spider-Dark-Green-&-Gold.gif (94KB - 230 downloads)
Attachments Scale-Dark-Blue-&-Silver.gif (90KB - 237 downloads)
Attachments Scale-6-axis-Black-&-Met-Re.gif (88KB - 245 downloads)
Attachments Scale-8-axis-Black-&-Met-Li.gif (97KB - 221 downloads)
Attachments 3-D-Iowa-Hawkeyes.gif (115KB - 229 downloads)
TanMan
Posted 1/13/2008 9:03 PM (#293875 - in reply to #293593)
Subject: Re: various rod guide / wrap choices...

WOW, amazing.

JT
just_one_more_cast
Posted 1/13/2008 9:08 PM (#293876 - in reply to #293593)

Here are a couple guide wrap options. Notice that both are underwrapped to cushion the blank under the guide foot. All the pictures are taken before the Flex Coat epoxy finish has been applied. I'm still trying to figure out how to get good pictures without the hot spots in the glossy finish. Also, the finish hides small gaps in the threads.

Edited by just_one_more_cast 1/13/2008 9:15 PM

(Open-Spiral-Black-&-Met-Red.gif)

(Filled-Iowa-Hawkeyes.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Open-Spiral-Black-&-Met-Red.gif (90KB - 220 downloads)
Attachments Filled-Iowa-Hawkeyes.gif (95KB - 216 downloads)
TanMan
Posted 1/13/2008 9:16 PM (#293878 - in reply to #293593)

Frank, you need a website with a gallery for all this beautiful work!
lambeau
Posted 1/13/2008 9:48 PM (#293884 - in reply to #293878)

i think we're fortunate to have the range of choices available to us from quality stock muskie rods, to high-end custom sticks.

Frank's work is beautiful, it was nice to see it up-close at the Chicago show. he even had a couple of Packer version trolling rods that brought the team good luck! the intricacy of his wraps really put his work into the "art" category, and it comes at a premium because you're paying him for the skill and amount of time that he has to put into a rod to produce something with so much detail. incredible work from a nice guy.

i've also seen some of the rods by Ron Walter that ShaneW mentioned...they take things to an even higher level. Ron has won awards in competitive rod-building, and offers options such as burled wood butt sections.

Keith's rods take a "simple is beautiful" approach to wraps, offering a range of color choices with the straightforward look of a working muskie rod. he also has various colors of zirconium guides to match your wraps. his work gives you a unique and individualized rod built on high-quality blanks at very close to the price of a stock rod. he's also offering the new "syncork" grips that look intriquing. his website includes a thread color chart, just click on "custom muskie."
Keith has been good to us here at MuskieFirst, generously offering up free custom-built rods to contest winners over the past few years.
http://www.proedgefishing.com/

(08-01-14 020.jpg)

(08-01-14 024.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 08-01-14 020.jpg (100KB - 209 downloads)
Attachments 08-01-14 024.jpg (60KB - 213 downloads)
just_one_more_cast
Posted 1/13/2008 9:54 PM (#293885 - in reply to #293593)

Thanks John. Hopefully we can get a rod up to you in Toronto.

Mike, I'm glad the Packer rods brought them luck. Hopefully they can stop the Patriots. It was Steve Jonesi's idea after my supplier sent me honey colored blanks rather than the black ones I ordered. For the off season we have to dwell on the fact that 2 of the 3 Packer losses came at the hands of our Bears.

Here's the Van Halen buttwrap that Todd Cleveland & I have been thinking about since the Milwaukee Show last year. My son bought a Bears Van Halen Phantom and this is what I came up with on a scrap blank after we took it home Saturday night. I wanted to do it in thread rather than paint. Todd suggested making the black wraps thicker like the picture of the guitar. He wants a different rod for each of the three color combinations that Eddie has.

His first rod in red, white & black should be at the Milwaukee show next month.

Edited by just_one_more_cast 1/13/2008 10:49 PM

(Van-Halen-1.gif)

(Van-Halen-3.gif)

(guitar-kramer2[1].jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Van-Halen-1.gif (51KB - 210 downloads)
Attachments Van-Halen-3.gif (47KB - 211 downloads)
Attachments guitar-kramer2[1].jpg (12KB - 221 downloads)
Chasin50
Posted 1/14/2008 8:34 AM (#293925 - in reply to #293885)

Frank, you really have a talent... I can't wait to get my custome DB jerkbait rod with the scale pattern buttwrap. That one along with the 8'6" DB you did for me last year are almost too pretty to use... Nah...
esoxman50
Posted 1/14/2008 9:09 AM (#293936 - in reply to #293593)

Those are all beautiful rods but remember you are buying it to fish with. put the money in a premium blank and a handle that fits you and the best guides you can afford. All this will mean a lot more to you after the "LOOKS" wear off from the fancy rod.

Joe Wishin
TanMan
Posted 1/14/2008 9:33 AM (#293951 - in reply to #293593)

Good points...but what if you can have both?
Steve Jonesi
Posted 1/14/2008 9:34 AM (#293952 - in reply to #293593)

If done right , the "LOOKS" will never wear off. Color preserver on the threads. I have some customs from Thorne Bros .that are over 20 years old and still look great. Of course they're 2' too short now, so they just sit and look pretty. But in their day, all were workhorses. Premium blank? Aren't they all, even the ones made in China? Money? I think people would be surprised. Less than the cost of a custom bait. Apples and oranges. Steve
esoxman50
Posted 1/14/2008 12:13 PM (#293990 - in reply to #293952)

I was'nt refering to the rods wearing out or the look rubbing off, I was more thinking along the lines of; it's not how it looks on the outside {the thing that attracts us to it},but more as to what is inside that makes us keep it. Kinda like life in general, not just fishing rods.

Joe Wishin

P.S. Tanman; I think if you play your cards right you can have both.

Edited by esoxman50 1/14/2008 12:14 PM
TanMan
Posted 1/14/2008 12:55 PM (#294009 - in reply to #293593)

LOL! Thanks....
Chasin50
Posted 1/15/2008 6:18 PM (#294269 - in reply to #293990)

Well,

What if you could have a rod that looked phenominal and also performed... I personally am buying a couple rods from Frank because he is building exactly what I asked for down to very minute details and I am getting a bonus piece of art on the rod to boot.

After talking with Frank and understanding the time that goes in to a hand built rod with this caliber of guide and butt wraps, it is clear he is doing this because he enjoys it, and not to make money. He could make more flipping burgers...

I have several production rods, and some of them are pretty darn nice. But, to have a couple rods built exactly to my specs that are full of perfomance and looks??? Good Stuff!
esox50
Posted 1/16/2008 10:52 PM (#294495 - in reply to #293936)

esoxman50 - 1/14/2008 9:09 AM

Those are all beautiful rods but remember you are buying it to fish with. put the money in a premium blank and a handle that fits you and the best guides you can afford. All this will mean a lot more to you after the "LOOKS" wear off from the fancy rod.

Joe Wishin

Yes, put the money in a good blank, butt section, reel seat, and guides. Definitely, no argument there. However, if you are going to those lengths to get the rod exactly how YOU want it why not add some beautiful thread art to truly make it "one of a kind" and stand out from the masses (and usually not at an extra cost)?

Making sure the tiny little details like under-wrapping guides to ensure they don't rub against the blank and cause a weak spot, upsizing guide frames to prevent bending, or using a fly-rod style hook keeper that won't bend up (maybe as easily) as traditional block-style keepers is really where the difference makers are (and thread wrappings). As minute as those details are, someone that takes the time to incorporate those into a rod is OK in my book
Cowboyhannah
Posted 1/18/2008 7:03 PM (#294898 - in reply to #293593)

One more cast...so...do you actually wrap the cork in thread one thread at a time? I don't get how you do that! They do look awsome!

How much?
just_one_more_cast
Posted 1/19/2008 9:03 AM (#294953 - in reply to #293593)

I don't wrap on the cork, it's done around the blank. The size A thread that I use is .006" in diameter and I wrap the it in a diamond pattern spaced out along the blank based on patterns that have been developed by a number of builders. I had to cut a buttwrap off one time and it looks like a piece of cloth. I'll take some pictures of how the pattern progresses & set up a gallery.

The muskie rods I build start out at $150 and go up from there. Cost of the higher end blanks and guides are what drive up the price.
Fish and Whistle
Posted 1/19/2008 10:30 AM (#294968 - in reply to #293593)

As stated by someone earlier in this post the absolute beauty and mind blowing attention to detail you get with one of Frank's Custom Rods is just the icing on the cake. I have been lucky enough to try out several of Frank's rods while fishing with friends who have some of his rods. I was amazed at how great the rods felt and fished compared to the high end factory rods I own. After talking to Frank at a few meetings and the Harper show I decided I needed one. I let Frank know what I was looking for out of the rod (main lures I would be throwing, the reel I planned on using with it and how I hold the rod. I've had 2 wrist and 3 hand surgeries in the past 3 years and comfort is a major concern) Frank didn't just say "ok this is what you should get", he really took his time and discussed many options and combinations of blanks and hardware to get the perfect set up. His attention to every little detail of the rod construction really impressed me. So much so that when It came time to talk about the wraps and rods appearance I said "Black & Yellow...Go Steelers" and left it at that. I know he will make it beautiful, why should I get in the way. Nobody told Van Gogh what to paint they just said paint. I don't want to come off as an infomercial or something,but from my experience with these rods is that as much detail is put into the use, feel and functionality of these rods as into the looks. The fact that the looks are absolutely out of this world is just the cherry on top.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)