Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> bow seat

Reply New post
Message Subject: bow seat
Bruce
Posted 1/9/2008 10:56 AM (#292992)
Subject: bow seat

Looking to install a base, pedestal and seat in the bow for this year. I have put carpeted plywood up there last spring. What do manufacturers use for thickness of their wood underneath their bows to support fisherman and seats?
VMS
Posted 1/9/2008 12:34 PM (#293013 - in reply to #292992)
Subject: Re: bow seat

Hi,

What is usally put under the wood floor is a piece of Aluminum sheeting that runs between two main structural supports for the boat. The purpose of this sheet is to prevent the possibility of having the seat base pull lose of the wood floor. Most bases are installed with machine screws that go through the aluminum sheet. The sheet will add some stability as well if it has a little thickness to it, which never
hurts.

I would think for a small project like this, you could probably get away with making sure your floor is well supported first (which I would assume you already have done this) then drill hole/attatch base as needed. What you could do to get away from needing the aluminum sheet would be to drill through, and install stainless hardware with a large flat washer and nylon lock-nuts. This would prevent the base from coming loose and also prevent rip-out.

Enjoy the project!!

Steve

Edited by VMS 1/9/2008 12:37 PM
mikie
Posted 1/9/2008 12:51 PM (#293021 - in reply to #292992)

I used stainless lag bolts thru the plywood into 2x4 supports. I also put lock washers under the bolt heads for extra security, it's holding so far....m
Bruce
Posted 1/9/2008 7:38 PM (#293117 - in reply to #292992)

What I forgot to mention was that I have an open aluminum 16 footer with bench seats. I have a raised carpeted plywood piece that we stand on in the bow as well as a platform the MinnKota is on. The lower piece we stand on is supportred underneath by a small bench seat and a bow brace up front. I was wondering what to beef up that plywood with under it, to take the abuse of a pedestal seat. This way I could use my foot pedal. There is only room up there for one seat. Do I have to cut a hole thru the wood for most bases? Or are the bases sit entirely on top of the surface? Thanks.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)