Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> MN's new long range plan for esox

Message Subject: MN's new long range plan for esox
Muskie Treats
Posted 1/8/2008 2:28 PM (#292792)
Subject: MN's new long range plan for esox

Last Friday the DNR published the latest revision of the long range plan for esox management that we've been working on. Take a look at it and give them your thoughts. Note that it's not perfect and we didn't get everything we wanted, but it sure beats the 3 paragraph plan we had when we started. I haven't had a chance to get all the way through the newest revision as I just got it on Friday and haven't had time to read all 64 pages of it.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fisheries/muskiepike_2020.html

happy hooker
Posted 1/8/2008 2:45 PM (#292793 - in reply to #292792)
Subject: RE: MN's new long range plan for esox

wouldnt want to coach anybody
but hope we get some feedback about converting some hardly used tiger lakes into purestrain waters to ease the pressure in metro
thescottith
Posted 1/8/2008 2:50 PM (#292795 - in reply to #292793)

I love fishing tigers in the metro area.....although I'm probably the only one who does it....
tfootstalker
Posted 1/8/2008 5:13 PM (#292827 - in reply to #292795)

Besides the city chain, I'm interested to see which other lakes should be converted to pure strain.
Manta18
Posted 1/8/2008 5:20 PM (#292828 - in reply to #292827)

Briefly have read through the proposal and I must say that I like it so far.  Adding 8 more lakes in the next 12 years is definately a giant step in the right direction.  I must say that I would rather it be 20 lakes, but I can live with 8. 

With them considering switching metro lakes from Tigers to pure strain, I would like to see them throw the tigers into a bigger lake and let them roam.  I think that would be cool for a lake like Little Boy chain or perhaps Alexander.

Going to sit down and read the entire proposal tonight and see what else there is to it.

MUSKYBOY
Posted 1/8/2008 5:38 PM (#292832 - in reply to #292792)
Subject: Re: MN's new long range plan for esox

Many more lakes in MN should have muskies given how well they are doing overall, so this is a step in the right direction.

More faster is my only comment
happy hooker
Posted 1/8/2008 7:12 PM (#292857 - in reply to #292792)

tfoot

push for Nokomis with your bosses,,,there was a 51inch purestrain caught there couple years back must have got thrown in with the tiger fingerlings some years back but he definitly flourished in that dark shallow water,,Nokomis is the lake that I still see bullheads on,,Im guessing because they get replenished from Minnehaha creek that little dam dosent always hold back or out water or little bullies
Muskie Treats
Posted 1/9/2008 11:23 AM (#292998 - in reply to #292792)

I know that they're looking at the Calhoun Chain as early as next year. There's some nice tigers in there, but most fish it for the spots. I threw out there that they should have some dual lakes, but the DNR wasn't very warm to that idea.

Absolutely give them feed back and say that 8 lakes isn't enough. If we get enough support maybe we can get them to up that number.
marine_1
Posted 1/9/2008 2:24 PM (#293051 - in reply to #292792)

No Offense to you city dwellers but I want to see a Pure Strain Muskie lake in SW Minnesota!!!! Plenty of Walleye for dem to feed on down here too

Edited by marine_1 1/9/2008 2:27 PM
DJS
Posted 1/10/2008 8:49 AM (#293242 - in reply to #292792)

GREAT NEWS! IKNOW HAPPY DOESN'T WANT TO COACH ANYBODY BUT I'LL SAY PLEASE URGE PURE STRAIN STOCKING IN THE CITY CHAIN!
Look at it this way even if you don't fish the Minneapolis chain it will mean less pressure on your favorite metro pure strain lake. I for one will be fishing other pure starin lakes more often if the chain goes only tigers as is currently happening.
SHEEPHEAD
Posted 1/10/2008 9:22 AM (#293250 - in reply to #292792)

Marine-1 I agree with you .. Southern Mn needs some lakes beside French.. Hey Hook if we put pure strain in Tiger lakes are they still going to stock tigers if not throw them down here in Southern Mn and we can let them feed on all the Bullheads and carp... and sheephead lol....
bturg
Posted 1/10/2008 9:31 AM (#293255 - in reply to #292792)

Thanks to the guys putting in the effort with the DNR on all this.
Muskie Treats
Posted 1/10/2008 12:49 PM (#293291 - in reply to #292792)

There will be new waters in the SW part of the state as a part of this plan. Right now there will be at least 2. We're also looking at Prior as one of the metro waters. It's not that far south, but it'd be the only spotted metro fishery that would be south of the river.

I'll have more info on where we stand in mid Feb when we have the next esox round table.
tfootstalker
Posted 1/10/2008 5:20 PM (#293332 - in reply to #292792)

Let me re-phrase. Which of the current (NOT CITY CHAIN) hybrid lakes do you think would be able to support trues?

How many folks fish these Lakes?

How many fish are in these lakes?

What size fish are you seeing in these lakes?

I encourage you to contact your regional fisheries office with this information and your opinions.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/areas/fisheries/westmetro/index.html
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/areas/fisheries/eastmetro/index.html
SHEEPHEAD
Posted 1/10/2008 6:13 PM (#293341 - in reply to #292792)

Well I went to the MN DNR website and voiced my 2 cents so we can get more lakes in Mn....
Chris H
Posted 1/10/2008 6:48 PM (#293342 - in reply to #293332)

tfoot,
Good suggestion on the email to the regional, I will do so.

Generic answers to your questions:
I think more fish people these lakes than is publicized and promoted. Many tend to keep a good thing on the down-low. I've had success on a very unsuspecting lake. Three over 40 inches this year with relatively limited time spent. Very healthy fish with nice girth. Caught a couple smaller ones too, which supports the arguement for a decent population and success of the program. Also saw/lost a couple that were well over 40.

I agree some lakes could be swapped out, take Island Lake in Shoreview for example. I wonder if they get fished much? Not a deep lake at all, so how successful is that lake is a good question. Lake is used as a ski course more than anything. Mastercrafts and Nautiques aren't after tigers.....

Overall, 8 lakes is a win, but for all the effort spent it would be nice, selfishly speaking, if it were a bit broader on scope and number of lakes. Voicing our support and opinions can only help.

Hats off to those that have got it this far!
Chris
Muskie Treats
Posted 1/10/2008 10:23 PM (#293373 - in reply to #292792)

The only ones that are being considered right now is the Calhoun Chain. There's already a mix of spots and tigers in there currently.

As far as other lakes going forward it would have to depend a lot on the composition of the lake. Many lakes that have tigers wouldn't work well for spots.
sworrall
Posted 1/10/2008 10:56 PM (#293379 - in reply to #292792)

Congratulations on working together to ensure and improve Minnesota's Muskie fishery into the future.
Derrys
Posted 1/11/2008 5:47 AM (#293403 - in reply to #292792)

I like the ideas they've come up with so far. My Chapter has also been stocking a new Muskie lake in West-central Mn. I am also excited about the possibility of a statewide 48" minimum size restriction that might be in place by 2010 on MN lakes stocked by the DNR. Word is it may even get done by early 2009. Hope so.
JRedig
Posted 1/18/2008 11:11 PM (#294928 - in reply to #292792)

In the twin cities, i'd like to see Phalen and Elmo get stocked with pure strains.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)