Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> So you catch a BIG fish

So you catch a BIG fish
OptionAdded byResults
post the pic, tell allesoxaddict10 Votes - [5%]
post the pic & story, photoshop out the backgroundesoxaddict2 Votes - [1%]
post the pic and the story, leave out some detailsesoxaddict31 Votes - [15.5%]
post the pic, leave out some detailsesoxaddict1 Votes - [0.5%]
Post the pic, lie about the size of the fishesoxaddict2 Votes - [1%]
post the pic, lie about the detailsesoxaddict0 Votes - [0%]
post the pic, no details includedesoxaddict3 Votes - [1.5%]
keep mouth shutesoxaddict33 Votes - [16.5%]
+60" bonk the pig & take her to Lax and let the chip's fall where they may!ESOX Maniac13 Votes - [6.5%]
Just be happy you caught a dang fish!Pointerpride10210 Votes - [5%]
if its 50lbs its a keeperDon Pfeiffer3 Votes - [1.5%]
No Post and share with good friendsPaul H.88 Votes - [44%]
If a friend tells you about a lake - don't post the pics.agrimm1 Votes - [0.5%]
post the pic and reveal as much as you can without comprinising anything.sean61s1 Votes - [0.5%]
Post a picture of it at the Spillway motelReelwise2 Votes - [1%]
Add your own option:

Message Subject: So you catch a BIG fish
sworrall
Posted 12/5/2007 6:51 PM (#287776 - in reply to #287771)
Subject: Re: So you catch a BIG fish

The link is to hundreds of images, try it again. Works fine here.
sworrall
Posted 12/5/2007 7:00 PM (#287777 - in reply to #287775)

So Paul, if I post a picture of a 40# fish from a local Wisconsin Lake I am 'banging on my chest'? I think not.

Post or don't, but either way take caution not to be over critical of those who disagree.

This is a Discussion about the sport of Muskie fishing, and I think images of success speak volumes no matter how big the fish or accomplished the angler. It's a shame some of the really big releases out there are never published, but oh well....
esoxaddict
Posted 12/6/2007 9:38 AM (#287834 - in reply to #287570)

That's what I was getting at Steve. And I'm guilty of it myself, at least in part... "I don't want to post it on the internet because X, Y, or Z" It's understandable that there are some things you do not share publicly, maybe it's a 100 acre lake, maybe it's a deadfall that you've caught half a dozen fish on, maybe it's just a place someone else showed you in confidence.

But not posting anything at all, ESPECIALLY because you don't want the criticism, or the scrutiny? It kind of undermines the entire idea of a collective group of anglers sharing their knowledge so we can all be more effective on the water. So you come here and look at pictures, read the fishing reports, the tackle forums, etc. and contribute nothing in return?

If everyone did that what would we have?

The Gelb thread got me thinking about some of the guides I know, some of the old timers, some of the seriously accomplished anglers that used to post here and don't, or the ones who would if it wasn't for the ______....

There have been other sites, now extinct, where information was shared by people who you just don't see around any more. Y'all are still out there reading, aren't you??

Look at the poll, what does that tell you? It tells me that we have created an environment here that makes a lot people unwilling to share their stories, their pictures, their adventures, and their experience. And it's funny, because a lot of those same people are NOTHING like that in real life. Anybody can buy a copy of EA or MH, and read the articles, information that those who write it have chosen to share. Why is the internet so different??

Here's another question for those of you (you know who you are) who lurk and never post, the guides, the accomplished anglers, those of you with the most to contribute:

WHY don't you? Are you afraid nobody will hire you if they can pick your brain here instead of on the water? Have you personally experienced the masses suddenly showing up because a picture or story was posted?

What's the deal?
Trophymuskie
Posted 12/6/2007 9:49 AM (#287836 - in reply to #287570)

I sometimes post some pictures and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I post the story and sometimes I don't. I guess there is only so much I am willing to share with the world. I don't think I will ever post all about a big fish but one never knows.

Probably the same reason when I am asked how I did at the launch, my normal reply is " caught a few ".
Steve Jonesi
Posted 12/6/2007 10:06 AM (#287838 - in reply to #287570)

"The masses suddenly showing up because a picture or story was posted". I've heard this one more than a few times this season. My response......JUST FISH! Is it the internet driving the pressure or is it.....lake specific magazine articles, lake specific videos/DVD's, TV shows, seminars/schools etc or even pics of the big fish on the cover of said magazines. I know for a fact that some of my clients return to fish the same spots.They earned it! If somebody posts a pic or story, how many are actually going to run to the lake? Patterns can change daily." Ya shoulda been here yesterday". I think the cell phone can and does drive pressure more than the internet. There was a specific area this season that was hotter than hot. There was nothing on the internet, but somehow, 20 boats found their way into the Bay. Joe did well and told his buddy Bob. Bob called his buddy Jim and said they're going good , get up here.I think you see my point. Stupid cell phones!LOL. Steve

Edited by Steve Jonesi 12/8/2007 7:39 AM
LOTWbeachbum
Posted 12/6/2007 10:13 AM (#287839 - in reply to #287570)
Subject: RE: So you catch a BIG fish

I'm from the camp that "we're all in this together.", especially if you run in my extended circle of fishing friends. I'll let you know all the specifics and hope that you'd do the same with me. However, there are certain situations when remaining tight lipped is called for... each time is a judgement call....there's fish for everyone...but who's going to put in the time and be there when she decides to eat...

On a side note....Be gentle - I'm a first time POSTER. I feel so dirty.

Great site - I've been a daytime dreamer here for way too long and this Subject and the Weekly picture contests are what's finally getting my off my duff and Logging In.

Like that little skunk said in Bambi - "Will you be my friend?"

out
tyee
Posted 12/6/2007 10:33 AM (#287841 - in reply to #287570)
Subject: unlogged

"Have you personally experienced the masses suddenly showing up because a picture or story was posted?"

Yes yes and yes many times. Heck, drive over the 41 bridge in Oshkosh this week and tell me what you see in front of skipper buds. That IS the power of the internet! 5 years ago you never saw but a guy or two ice fishing there. The past couple of days there have been more than 30, in front of a dock fishing for 5" bluegills. It has happend the past few years because of the Internet! Real time information can be damaging to ones enjoyment of the outdoors!!!!! At least it has affected MY enjoyment. Look at Gillespie, his info is a week old and everyone of those shows brings out the masses the next week.
THE INTERNET HAS CHANGED THE WAY PEOPLE FISH and thats the truth.
Good Luck
Tyee

mavmskyb8
Posted 12/6/2007 6:02 PM (#287925 - in reply to #287570)

Thanks Steve, I'm aware of the muskiefirst attendees and the pictures that they post. I think I may have posted 1 or 2 of my own for contest purposes. What I am saying is that I would never start a post with a picture of a "big fish" that I caught with a story outlining "who, where, why, what, when". It's not who I am. In my opinion, the fish is the icing, everything else leading up to, and after the catch, is what I like talking about. "I saw a moose jump over a beaver on T5, here's a pic!" That's what I enjoy!

Bret
Paul H.
Posted 12/6/2007 9:16 PM (#287954 - in reply to #287570)

Steve I am not trying to offend people. I said SOME and it would depend on HOW you post and what is said.
I agree with esoxaddict and they were some sites out there that would get good sticks to open up. I didnt have a lot to contribute but tryed and learned a lot.
Later Paul
ESOX Maniac
Posted 12/7/2007 11:40 AM (#288037 - in reply to #287954)

Paul, I agree and think it's all a matter of perception. A lot of posts wind up as misinterpreted by the other reader's. Please don't take offense, as I don't think any is intended. Please stick around and contribute- I will listen with an open mind.

ron f. - you said -> "btw i only see a great tiger on this link,no fish of a life time..........."

Again a matter of perspective. There are some pretty decent fish in that thread.., i.e., what a lot of guy's who posted their fish photo's would qualify as a fish of a life time. Yes, I also definitely think Sorno's tiger is in my book a fish of a life time. I would love to put a tiger like that into my net. Are the others not fish of a life time? Well I think that's all a matter of pespective. I wouldn't belittle anyone who feels they have caught their fish of a life time. Heck to a 6 year old, a 9" bluegill is a giant fish. After all it's suppose to be fun!

Have fun!
Al
Reelwise
Posted 12/7/2007 11:51 AM (#288040 - in reply to #288037)

I think the problem is, some people are just looking for the hot bite and dont want to go out and figure things out themselves. Now why would someone that puts in a crap load of time want to share it with people they dont even know and get nothing in return. I'm talking about specific details here, and the internet. Not talking about in person, face to face...which is totally different.
sworrall
Posted 12/7/2007 11:05 PM (#288118 - in reply to #287570)

Why? Because they want to, Reelwise. I do, any time, any where if the info is mine to give, and it sure hasn't been a negative experience for me OR for those here and elsewhere I share information with openly; in most cases the return has been tremendous...new friendships, new experiences, new water and more. Sure I have detractors who are critical of my willingness to mark everything I know on a map of a lake...to those folks I say don't ask me, then, and don't be critical of those who do, it's MY choice. Sure, I have my little secrets, we all do, but extremes stink, IMHO.

Those who are WAY over critical just to be critical or just to be a mean spirited jerk need to take up golf as a primary sport. Then Hopeful can hand their collective fannies to them on the course and post THAT to a golf forum; with pictures. Humor here, humor...relax.

ron f, one man's nice fish might be another's true lifetime trophy. So much depends on where a person gets to spend time on the water, and how much time that is...

If I am fortunate enough to catch a really big fish you will see it here, not so I can 'brag'...so I can share the experience with friends. If one can't grasp that concept, oh well.

Paul H, no worries, I get what you were saying.

Some folks will never post but read everything here every day. 2500 to 3500 User logins and sometimes 200 posts a day indicate that pretty clearly. Some are greatly talented and long time Muskie anglers, some middle of the road, some newbies, and some a mixture of all. That's OK, those who ARE willing to post, argue, debate, offer questions and answers, post pictures, videos, and talk about everything Muskie keep us all entertained and educated. As for me, I am just as pleased reading about some fellow whom I have never met catching his first first 50 from New York as I am with one from a close friend.

Life's short, it is a bad thing IMHO to hold it too tight to the vest. Enjoy!
fins355
Posted 12/8/2007 6:51 AM (#288132 - in reply to #288118)

Steve,

Great post!! I really like your style....always have!

Merry Christmas!

Doug Petrousek
Reelwise
Posted 12/8/2007 7:16 AM (#288136 - in reply to #287570)

I should have been more specific with my post. I was just pointing out a reason why some don't share info. online. What gets to me is the people that will lie to your face. Thats kinda bogus if you ask me.
ron f
Posted 12/8/2007 7:52 AM (#288140 - in reply to #287570)

Steve Worrall

keep us entertained oh yes! but educated i dont think so,im sure less than 1% of all topics(including all musky forum) are related to the good method of c&r.and thats the first thing all noobs have to learn first!
sworrall
Posted 12/8/2007 10:26 AM (#288163 - in reply to #288140)

There's PLENTY of good information on proper C&R here, ron f; certainly the subject has been covered a ton. Do a search. As you know, I'm working on a C&R piece that will be archived on the new Video site coming in a few days.
lambeau
Posted 12/8/2007 10:51 AM (#288169 - in reply to #288140)

keep us entertained oh yes! but educated i dont think so,im sure less than 1% of all topics(including all musky forum) are related to the good method of c&r.and thats the first thing all noobs have to learn first!

it's interesting to me that on the one hand we get criticized by some for putting out too much information such that people don't have to "learn by earning", and then on the other hand get criticized for not educating. clearly we can't please everybody all of the time, but i know we try very hard to do a good job of allowing our users to share information with each other that's both entertaining and informative.

please spend a few minutes in the Tackle & Equipment forum or in the Boats & Motors forum and you'll discover a practically unlimited amount of education.
browse through the articles and archived chats, that's a treasure trove of tips, tactics, and how-to's; very educational.
the Fishing Reports forum is an interesting place: some straightforward "go here, do this, catch a fish" kind of stuff, a small dash of "i caught this but i'm not saying anything else", and the majority is, "this was my experience that worked for me, i hope it helps you try to figure something out." as Steve described, we leave it up to each individual to decide what's right for them and how much they share. whatever people decide is ok, there's no absolute right or wrong here.

our editorial stance has always been to actively support and encourage Catch and Release, while still allowing allowing for individual choice within the law. lots and lots of extremely good information gets posted here about safe and ethical fishing, handling, and release practices. again, we depend on all of the users to provide this to each other - and everyone does an extremely good job. frankly, i find it at least slightly disrespectful to the many passionate release activists on this site to suggest there's no good CPR education. lots of dedicated and skilled fishermen post here about that specific topic. type "release" into the search feature and see what comes up!

when it comes to posting pics or sharing info on a true giant?
i know a couple different people just this year with legit 50lb fish in the net who chose not to post online, and i understand and respect their decision just as much as those who put it up on site.
as for myself, i'd post it if i caught a true monster (50lb class) because i know i like it when other people share so i can see and enjoy. the truth is that most people enjoy being happy for someone else, that's what cool about the "community" we have here at MuskieFirst!
Mikes Extreme
Posted 12/9/2007 8:51 PM (#288320 - in reply to #288169)

I can say that sharing a big fish picture and story here is a bold thing to do for most posters. I have shared plenty of pictures and storys here since the beginnig of this site. Heck, even when it was Muskiecentrol.

Some of the coments are on the negitive side but most are very positive. Heck, the PM's and E-mails that are done behind the scenes are 10 times what are posted and are thankfull for the story and info. I guide on one of the most pressured lakes in Wisconsin. I have always posted lots of reports and info. The last 10 years this lake has not got any more pressure due to posting and articals. You got to remember that most people will be turned off by excessive pressure on a lake. This makes more room for others. It's a revolving door, some leave, more come.

I can say that in the last 10 years the muskies have been harder to catch and more attention to detail is needed. My numbers always seem to go up each year but quality through the years comes and goes. No fiftys for my boat this year. Got one up north on a vacation though.

My choice to share a big fish storys and pictures is not about "pounding my chest" as mentioned earler. It's about letting others know they are there and catchable. Showing a big fish picture and story can keep the dream alive for some who just love the sport and live for that chance.

So many people are here on this site. It's a great site, the best one in my opinion because guys like Steve Worrel who will tell it like it is and share it for others to see. Just because a lake is mentioned doe not mean people will go there to catch that fish. I see tons of guys fish my local lakes and not many big fish are caught by most. They are here but are very hard to catch. Knowning the best times to get them and what works is huge. That might not be mentioned in the story but lots of other info might be.

My point is: Telling a story and posting a picture of a big fish is not hurting lakes that kick out a big fish here and there. If I was after a fish of a lifetime I would have my top ten places to fish. All of them are well known as big fish spots that are already known to most of the internet. Posting a fish from there would only be another picture. Just don't get why some are so worried about Mille Lac's, Vermillion, Green Bay, out East, etc.

Posting picture of a bunch of huge fish from a small lake in Wisconsin can be bad.

Sharing some good pictures and story's is bold. The ones that do, I thank you. The ones that don't do it because your afraid someone will knock your catch should try a few. You will be surprized at some of the cudo's you will get on line one way or another. I for one love to see all kinds of storys and pictures. One mans trophy is a mid 40's and most are the 50-incher. My fish of a lifetime was a 50 lber. I have seen all sizes of fish in the hands of all ages of clients. NEVER knock anothers anglers BIG FISH. We are not all equal. It's all relitive to how much you fish and where you get to fish.

SHARE THOSE PICTURES AND STORYS!!!!
bn
Posted 12/10/2007 7:21 AM (#288348 - in reply to #287570)

I agree with all the others that have said they like to see and hear big fish stories...post your big fish pics and stories! If you get your first musky, your first 50" or whatever is important to you this is a great venue to share with other guys that have gone thru or are hoping to go thru that same feeling...
Some will always see it as chest pounding or "look at me" but whatever, there are always people in the world we aren't going to agree or see eye to eye with...

Personally I don't post pics/reports as much anymore...typically only share with a small group of guys, the where/how/on what type stuff...but I still like to see everyones pics on here no matter how big or small...
brian
Posted 1/14/2008 9:52 PM (#294142 - in reply to #287570)

i think its sad that people are afraid to post photos of their fish, to see pictures of other peoples catches is why i come here. same reason i buy magazines about muskies, i dont much care about some of the writers opinions about muskie fishing. I want to see the fish. Sure some writers are worth the reading but many are not.
Some say that others are only self promoting themselves, i say to those people you have inferiority problems. I dont like the blah blah everyday,post the pictures and dont listen to ( probably some stupid bass guy bashing your fish) those who have problems with themselves. There are no rules saying you have to give out every detail, post your pictures. There are way more people on here that enjoy the photos, there are only a few that bash others for posting them. Usually someone that post under fake names. Now that should tell you something.

Brian

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)