Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> VHF Radio Antenna Help

Message Subject: VHF Radio Antenna Help
AFChief
Posted 10/23/2007 12:23 PM (#280912)
Subject: VHF Radio Antenna Help

I have decided to install a VHF marine band radio on my boat. Selecting a radio is no problem but I am having trouble finding info on antennas. The packaged deals I can find are a (1) Uniden solaras with a 3ft whip or (2) a Cobra MR F55 with an 8ft fiberglass. Both run the same price. From what I understand, the 3ft is a 3 db whip antenna and the 8ft is a 6 db fiberglass antenna. I don't know anything about antenna properties (3 db vs 6 db) and am looking for recommendations on what to buy. I suspect the 8ft will give me a little more range due to height but am unsure. The bodies of water I fish are long (6 miles plus) and narrow and surrounded by hills. Looking for any recommendations or information that anyone would care to share.

R, Jerry
TJ DeVoe
Posted 10/23/2007 12:37 PM (#280917 - in reply to #280912)
Subject: Re: VHF Radio Antenna Help

Yes, the 8ft antenna will give you better coverage. I would suggest the longer one, hills can definitely make a difference in getting a good signal. However, I'm surprised the antennas are running the same price. Typically, the shorter ones are more expensive. I would personally go with the longer one.
C_Nelson
Posted 10/23/2007 8:10 PM (#280986 - in reply to #280912)

Go with this one. Shakespeare Galaxy VHF Antenna 5225XT. This is an 8' antenna. This will give you max distance and clear calling. Spend a few extra bucks and get a good one right away. Safety on the water is of usmost importance. These go for $99.

Chuck
muskynightmare
Posted 10/23/2007 11:53 PM (#281021 - in reply to #280912)

I forget the math formula, but the longer the antenna, the more range.
Shep
Posted 10/24/2007 10:34 AM (#281060 - in reply to #281021)

Longer is not always better. Depends on how they are made. My 4' Galaxy works better than a $40 cheapo 8 footer.

If you can go with an 8' antenna, I agree with Chuck. Galaxy 5225-XT. This is an awesome antenna. I had one on my last boat, and people at the first Cass Lake(AKA Shady Moon Outing) outing used me for a relay station! Get it in Black, too. 5226-XT.

Next choice, and what I have now, is the Shakespeare Galaxy 5400-XT. Works really good, and it fits nicely along the side of my front deck. Also available in Black. 5401-XT.

They came out with the Galaxy XP series this year. A bit better, and more pricy. I don't know if the additional cost is worth it for our applications. Replaxe the XT with XP in the P/N's.

As a former radio repair and antenna setup guy in the Air Force, I know that the SWR, Standing Wave Ratio, affects the range and quality of your radio transmission and reception. This can be optimized by cutting the supplied cable to the proper length. I would recommend you find a local Amatuer radio club, and ask one of their members for help. They love this stuff, and many will have all the meters and knowledge to help you optimize your installation.

If you are set on getting a combo, get the Stainless Whip, and then buy and use the gooder antenna. When you sell the boat, keep the gooder one, and sell with the Whip.

Edited by Shep 10/24/2007 10:35 AM
AFChief
Posted 10/24/2007 1:27 PM (#281090 - in reply to #280986)

Nelson, Shep,

Thanks for the advise, I was considering the 5225XT. Plenty of room on my boat to stow an 8 footer. Safety is the reason I am installing the radio to being with. I plan on doing a lot of fall fishing. Experience has taught me there is never a boat around when you need one. Expecially when temps are low.

Shep, were you a Ground (Dirt) Radio troop? Thanks for your service. Did 24 yrs myself - I was the other comm maint flavor (TTY/DSTE/Crypto).

Jerry
Shep
Posted 10/24/2007 2:36 PM (#281103 - in reply to #281090)

Yup, 304X4. Spent time, 2 1/2 years, in GE fixing on MRC-107's. Stationed with 7th Corps in Stuttgart. 60 of us USAF surrounded by 4000+ grunts. Left there and they stuck me in Finland, MN for the final months. 756th RADS. Suffice to say, I liked GE better. Better beer, better women. Waaaayyy Better!

24 years! You were the guys that heated up the hot dogs! hehehe Thanks back atcha.
Jomusky
Posted 10/28/2007 6:51 PM (#281544 - in reply to #280912)

I have the 5225XT, it is the 8 footer to get.

Pretty sweet for up to the minute weather too. I have yet to find a place in Wisconsin that I can't receive the weather.

I just wish more musky guys would get radios.
C_Nelson
Posted 10/28/2007 8:02 PM (#281552 - in reply to #280912)

But Joe, they would be talking like on a CB.

"Breaker, Breaker, Musky Machine (name of Joe's new 621), you got a copy?" Joe then answers and the other boat comes back with "10-4 Good Buddy, we are running late from having to follow a bobtail to the landing".

LOL, just had to do that.

Chuck
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)