Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Huge Thanks to Steve Herbeck and Andy Myers Lodge!

Message Subject: Huge Thanks to Steve Herbeck and Andy Myers Lodge!
Slamr
Posted 8/19/2007 8:15 PM (#270664)
Subject: Huge Thanks to Steve Herbeck and Andy Myers Lodge!

We just returned from another year at Andy Myers Lodge http://www.andymyerslodge.com and the trips just get better and better. Between me and Nikki and Tommie and Stacy Varner we boated 5 fish, but had shots at a bunch more that we couldn't connect on. The story of the trip ISN'T the fishing, but the overall fun we had at the camp. If you haven't been, we really recommend that you give it a shot if you're looking for a fishing experience like no other on Eagle Lake. Herbie and his staff go out of their way to ensure that each and every guest is not just on fish, but their stay at AML is top notch.

Our cabin was a MONSTER, 4 bedrooms with two of them having queen sized beds (note to you married men; your wife will be MUCH more enthusiastic about Canada if you dont have to cram into a twin bed). All new stove, microwave and big refridgerator. We were amazed at how nice the accomidations were even compared to the cabin we stayed at the year before! We had a porch over looking the water, a screen in sitting room, basically just more than we could have hoped for. The only thing the cabin didn't have was a charcoal grill, but after requesting one from Herbie, it was at the cabin before we got back from asking for it. That is just the type of great service provided by the folks at Andy Myers.

Saturday night's orientation was very helpful in terms of pointing us in the right directions. Though I'd fished the lake for a number of weeks in years' past, that first 30 minute "this is working, these are the types of spots the fish are active on" probably saved us two or more days of trying to pattern the fish. Not surprisingly, Herbie was dead on: double bladed bucktails in nickel blades with black hair and/or orange blades with black hair werre the tickets to success. We fished almost entirely the spots marked on the camp map that is in the lodge at at everyone's disposal (if you fished each spot one time during the week, you wouldnt have time to hit all the spots marked by Herbie and his crew) and they WERE the spots that the staff was fishing. Herbie says they don't have secret spots and it's good to know they're always pointing you to fish because they're the ones that paid guide dates are on! To prove out this point, big fish of the week was a 52"er that Herbie boated on a spot I had fished at least 2X a day everyday for 5 days....then he comes on and gets that fish!!!!

Tommie boated a 47" on an orange/black XX from Muskie Mojo Tackle http://www.muskiemojo.com (thanks again Baldy for hitting the nail on the head as to what we wanted) a 44" on a nickel/black XX, with both fish coming off of rock structure. I managed a 45" (or so, maybe more, measuring with a flexible tape not that accurate) on an orange/black XX, a 44" on a nickel/black XX, a 43" on an orange/black and a 40"er on a Rumbler. Tommie got his 47" on the 8, and I got the 40" on the 8. The other fish came way out on the cast.

In terms of fish we DIDN'T boat, we each moved a few really nice fish, with Nikki having shamu of the trip (52"-53") come out of 3' of weeds after a orangle/black violent strike spinner bait. Tommie missed a few lower 40s, moved a bunch, and I had a 48-49" roll on a XX way out, not touch a hook then go around 3 figure 8s at boatside then come unpinned after nipping at the tail of the bait and getting barely pinned....then quickly unhooked! We each moved maybe 3-5 fish/day, so the action for us wasn't SPECTACULAR, but we did boat some fish.

A tiny bit about the lake for those of you who haven't been to Eagle: it's big, fishes big, but if you're fishing out of AML, it's easy to find wind protected waters even in the toughest winds (it blew 50mph one day, but we were still safely out of the wind on many spots). Though it was fun to have the Tuffy up to 51.5 mph chasing out to spots, there is ZERO need to run far to find fish. A 51.5" fish was caught by a guest not a thousand yards from camp and even at our farthest run (which had us passing maybe 60 spots marked on the map by Herbie and his staff) we were only 11 miles from Myers Bay. The most telling point to the closeness of good fishing came when getting the boat ready at the dock on our last day, a duck comes swimming over to our boat, quaking away. Being my usual moron self, I quack back and the duck comes within 3' of the boat. Then BLAM, a huge swirl next to the duck, she's quacking wildly, feathers in the water, and I see a huge shape swim away! The duck flies off and whatever tried to make a meal of her didn't have any interest in the weagle I threw at it!

I know there are other lodges on Eagle and some maybe be a bit lower priced, but for my money, I'm going back next year and every year for the foreseeable future back to Andy Myers. The fishing expertise they impart gets you right on fish, the accomidations are top notch, and Herbie and his staff work their tails off to make sure you have a great vacation. If you're thinking of heading that way, I'd definitely recommend you take a look at the site http://www.andymyerslodge and think about getting there!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(AML.jpg)

(Herbie 52.jpg)

(Wolf.jpg)

(45.jpg)

(Sunset.jpg)

(Tommie.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments AML.jpg (65KB - 117 downloads)
Attachments Herbie 52.jpg (39KB - 139 downloads)
Attachments Wolf.jpg (117KB - 140 downloads)
Attachments 45.jpg (80KB - 125 downloads)
Attachments Sunset.jpg (64KB - 133 downloads)
Attachments Tommie.jpg (54KB - 134 downloads)
release
Posted 8/20/2007 2:47 PM (#270799 - in reply to #270664)
Subject: RE: Huge Thanks to Steve Herbeck and Andy Myers Lodge!

I guess i can add my two cents worth

I was up there last week to for 5 days.

I boated a personal canadian best of 48" fishing with Mike one of Steve Herbeck's guides and a 42" fishing with Steve himself on Wednesday. Also "we" that's Steve and my fishing buddie Ed had two fish over 50 up on Wednesday into the 8 but no finish. If you want to know how dealing with Steve and his folks is, a good sign is that my buddy, who had poor luck this last week, still booked 9 days of fall trophy hunting with Andy Myers Lodge in September. Enought said?

The Wednesday we missed the two 50"+ fish I know of two clients in camp who caught fish over 50 and a guy who caught a 53 inch fish The Saturday we arrived.

Nice combination, big fish and the folks who will work hard to get you a shot at them.

Now if i could just get them to feed me less when I'm there. LOL

Gary Thorne
tyee
Posted 8/20/2007 7:25 PM (#270845 - in reply to #270664)
Subject: Re: Huge Thanks to Steve Herbeck and Andy Myers Lodge!

slamr, Sounds like a great trip, I'm heading that way Labor day week with the boys, sounds like a great lake to fish, I've never been there before and we are getting in early early Sat, I know there are some great fish in the Vermillion Bay area, as well over in Osborne but if you were to concentrate in the main lake central area near Viking reef possibly, where would you start? Possibly the reefs for fish or the bays? Do you think they will be heading shallow by then? and I hear big bucktails are a must what do you think, I don't want to bring 4 tackle boxes of baits!
Thanks in advance and Good luck
Tyee
tomyv
Posted 8/21/2007 6:27 AM (#270905 - in reply to #270845)

Big bucktails were the ticket. There are spots not far from the launch. We basically ussed the fish the weeds, fish the rocks, hope to get on a pattern approach. We found fish in both. I'd bring some topwater, dawgs, and cranks also.
release
Posted 8/21/2007 1:35 PM (#271000 - in reply to #270905)

The last two years the big double blades have been the ticket

this year Steve's guides say the topwater bite has not materialized but who knows when it might start.

Guides ran bulldogs, grandmas, and other alternatives while we were there but until the fall sets in I you can bet the highest probability is big doublebladed stuff and be prepared to get them to eat at the boat.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)