Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> StructureBASICS...The river
 
Message Subject: StructureBASICS...The river

Posted 3/30/2002 10:23 PM (#942)
Subject: StructureBASICS...The river


Here is a 2 mile section of river in Wisconsin. (picture this in your mind) Put some thought in these guys, I am putting them in the article section after they are done.

We have two islands with deep water on both sides in the center of the river.

We two eddies with back water sloughs.

We have a creek coming in.

We have four sections where the deeper channel runs tighter to the bank and has over hanging timber

We have three shallow sand flats

We have muliple houses down each side of the banks with docks ect.

There is a tobbaco cabbage weed line that comes out to 4 feet.

Lilly pads in the slough areas.

The river S curves the two mile section.

You are allowed to troll.

Its mid June, 65 degree water temp, dark stained Wisconsin river water.

*********

1)Where do you start?

2)What type of presentation do you do?

Posted 4/1/2002 11:29 PM (#27920)
Subject: StructureBASICS...The river


Minus the houses, that would be lake X. Depending on time of year(but lets say june), I'd start(if I was a caster) with those tobacco weeds, especially if they are in isolated areas, and close to the channel. I'd fish the weeds closest to the islands, and possibly the ones in closest proximity to the creek mouth. I'd burn hair and topwater over the weeds and shallow wood near the channel till a pattern developes. Just before dark,hop into the creek mouth and pitch a slow moving topper and hope for the best.

Just one simple way of doing things that probably won't work when you go out, but when you tell a friend about what you did, he goes out and cracks a fourfooter off that four foot weed edge while you are at work, and asks you if you have any topraider shrink tubing.

Posted 4/2/2002 7:30 AM (#27921)
Subject: StructureBASICS...The river


I would definately hit that crick that comes in. Hopefully it is a spring fed. Being one of those dark stained rivers like a nice one that I know of here in west central WI another hot spot early in the morning would be to check those sands flats especially if they come to an end on a sand bar. These spots are great areas for big ski's to corner some breakfast.

Of course given enough time in a day I would hit all of the spots.

Bear

Posted 4/3/2002 12:15 PM (#27922)
Subject: StructureBASICS...The river


any last comments?

Posted 4/3/2002 12:43 PM (#27923)
Subject: StructureBASICS...The river


I would start with the islands,eddies,channel tight to bank and cabbage weeds!June,65deg.temp,would be post spawn and in my opinion the in-coming creek would probably be cooler water and would be the last place I would look for active fish!Later in the season yes,at these specific conditions no!Thats just my opinion! Jeff

Posted 4/3/2002 6:10 PM (#27924)
Subject: StructureBASICS...The river


Handy, you must not have fished the same creeks we did two years ago on the postspawn!!! LOL

Gimme a call dude, there's fish to be caught next tues.!!

Posted 4/3/2002 6:55 PM (#27925)
Subject: StructureBASICS...The river


What'd ya do Jason, think of this one after we were driving around the other day, didn't think you could see up river through the snow..[:bigsmile:]

This almost exactly describes several of the areas I fish.

Depends on the weather and also the state of the river...meaning high water/low water or if they are letting water through on a damn upstream.

I agree with all of what Handyman and Schillinger say, they slam some serious river slime in central WI.

I'll touch on several areas under different conditions.

Tight to shore, little pockets, fallen trees, rocks, etc. If the water is rising/steady current from the damn being opened or small to moderate runoff. The fish in my area will move to these structures and use them as ambush points. Reef Hawgs/Undertakers/Squirly Burts and twitch baits would produce on my bodies of water in mid June with 65 degree water.
Even better if you can pop a 40's class fish from a fallen white pine in front of someones house when their sitting in their lawn furniture...[:devil:]

The islands:
I would fish these with the idea of the fish being on the lower half of the island under normal conditions. In my little corner of the world these spots are often used during peak feeding times when the river is not flowing very quickly. If there are weeds near by even better...burn a bucktail or topwater over them and hang on...

The sand bars:
If they are on an inside turn I will fish the downstream side of these at last light of the day first light or at night. The walleyes will often move up onto these and the Muskies aren't too far behind them.

Eddies:
If these are caused from rocks I will fish them and the inside pocket on the shore side (usually a nice place for the fish to rest while waiting for meal to come by) with a smaller globe style topwater during mid day. Preferably a Wisher Globe with gold colored blades...

The creek flowing into the river:
This is my go to place if it's just after a mild rain. The creek will be flowing warmer water and washing forage for forage species into the river. I start fishing these from a downstream approach working upstream from about 150 yards down from the inlet. I work smaller crankbaits and also in mid June I can use a 7" bucktail, also a good place for slower action topwater at last light. The colors would be natural perch or orange firetiger for the crank and yellow with red hackle with a gold blade for the "hair". One of Fred Johnsons "Tinsle Tails" would also work very well in this situation. If we had a "gully washer" type rain and the river is really coming up and the little creek is really running I have no suggestions... as I fish the lakes after hard rains. Under normal conditions I will fish the inlet and sometimes even a little ways up that creek if I can get there but it will not be the first spot I go to.

Hope this helps,

Mark
Musky Adventures
Eau Claire, WI

Posted 4/4/2002 8:22 AM (#27926)
Subject: StructureBASICS...The river


J,but at that time in that season the water temps were mid-70`s as in pre-summer!A holo Reef-Hawg say`s not this year either? Jeff

Posted 4/4/2002 8:33 AM (#27927)
Subject: StructureBASICS...The river


Actually they were 62, but whos keeping track. They heated up opening day(to 70), then really cooled the following two weeks. Chuck was really bagging the fish there, and I couldn't believe it till I went there myself, and got in on it. Just talked to him, and he said last year was the first year he didn't catch a fish there during the opening two weeks since he's been fishing there. I think those girls head way up to spawn maybe, and we are getting them just as they come back down..??? What do you think?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)