Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> night fishing

Message Subject: night fishing
dogboy
Posted 6/7/2007 2:37 PM (#259882)
Subject: night fishing

What dictates when "you" should night-fish?

I know when pressure from boaters and fisherman is high, crystal clear water,
or it may be the only time you can get out. You may be targetting a fish that just won't hit, or seeing lots of fish in the day, but no takers. Is there a certain set of conditions that say " I need to fish in the dark" What are your prerequisites for a good night-bite? Stable weather? Big frontal Blowout? Too hot during the day?
ulbian
Posted 6/7/2007 2:57 PM (#259888 - in reply to #259882)
Subject: Re: night fishing

Simply, it's the biggest chunk of time when I am freed up enough to spend a considerable amount of time on the water.
IAJustin
Posted 6/7/2007 3:01 PM (#259890 - in reply to #259882)

When in MN! - most lake up there are great at night......hey got me thinking - how does everyone else do on shad based lakes at night? I have found fishing at night to be poor on these lakes.

Does forage have anything to do with "hot" night lakes?
CJW
Posted 6/7/2007 5:54 PM (#259911 - in reply to #259882)
Subject: RE: night fishing

dogboy - 6/7/2007 2:37 PM

What dictates when "you" should night-fish?

I know when pressure from boaters and fisherman is high, crystal clear water,
or it may be the only time you can get out. You may be targetting a fish that just won't hit, or seeing lots of fish in the day, but no takers. Is there a certain set of conditions that say " I need to fish in the dark" What are your prerequisites for a good night-bite? Stable weather? Big frontal Blowout? Too hot during the day?

I've been doing a lot of reading, so no this isn't personal experience, about night fishing as it's something I'd like to do more of this summer. What I've come to understand is mainly what you've stated and the fact that it isn't a cure all, but can be a great way to take advantage of an empty lake. I think that it would be a good change up for that fish that just won't hit anything else. I mean, how much more drastic of a difference can you make?

Some points from what I've read on when and where to night fish: at sunset, at first dark, when fishing pressure is high during the day(stained or clear water), on crystal clear waters during the summer, basically only during the summer, on the same spots that produce during the day, during stable weather or during frontal conditions just like during the day. Something else I read that makes good sense is, if it is too big of a change from day to night temps, it can act just like a cold front, turning the fish off. Also, watch the moon, moonrise and moon set.

Cameron
CJW
Posted 6/7/2007 5:58 PM (#259915 - in reply to #259890)

IAJustin - 6/7/2007 3:01 PM

Does forage have anything to do with "hot" night lakes?

I can see it making things easier on lakes where bluegill, crappie, walleye, perch etc. are the main forage. If that's what you're meaning.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)