Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Wanted - info on Minn Kota Genesis / auto pilot & uni sonar - good or bad

Message Subject: Wanted - info on Minn Kota Genesis / auto pilot & uni sonar - good or bad
dhacker
Posted 6/6/2007 3:38 PM (#259720)
Subject: Wanted - info on Minn Kota Genesis / auto pilot & uni sonar - good or bad

Looking at a near new Genesis 74lb with auto pilot for my Ranger. Is this a great unit? I have read mixed reviews. Is the entire unit guaranteed for life or just some of the components? It says the Genesis is a combo cable / electric steering - is this good or painful? I have a Minn Kota "Maxim" 74 lb 45" with foot pedal 24 volt today and there is enough power but would like something newer with auto pilot.

I had read some of them had problems with controller boards. That part is $400 to replace. Does anyone know if the s/n can be checked to see which controller board is in them and if Minn Kota will replace a bad one?

What do you think about auto pilot and the universal sonar. Are they worth the money?

I currently have a Lowrance X25C and may bet a Hummindbird 997SI so not sure if the US will work with those manufacturers.

Otherwise any other recommendations for 45" shaft / 24 or 36 volt / 74 lbs or higher trollers?

Thanks for any advice.

Don
Matt Collins
Posted 6/7/2007 12:00 PM (#259857 - in reply to #259720)
Subject: RE: Wanted - info on Minn Kota Genesis / auto pilot & uni sonar - good or bad

I don't know why my response was deleted, but I would go with the Terrova or a 2006 model autopilot(PD V2 doesn't have anything over 70# thrust). There is a reason the Genesis isn't made any more. Too many bells and whistles exposed to a harsh marine environment = not reliable. I went thru 4 of them on my old boat. You can delete this post too, but the truth is the truth. I guess if someone wants honest feedback, maybe they should ask questions about a product elsewhere other than on this board.( At least that's what I'm gathering from this post removal thing.)
musky39
Posted 6/8/2007 8:46 PM (#260089 - in reply to #259720)
Subject: RE: Wanted - info on Minn Kota Genesis / auto pilot & uni sonar - good or bad

I went through 3 Genesis myself. Switched to a Maxxum with no problems in 5 years. When Minn Kota produces another unit like the Genesis that is reliable I will buy it. I loved mine when it worked.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)