Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Big bait

Message Subject: Big bait
MuskyStalker
Posted 6/2/2007 1:57 PM (#259078)
Subject: Big bait

just saw the coolest thing on the Fox Chain today. We were fishing a weedy bay when my partner noticed a large yellow object moving side to side in the water in front of us. I motored over and we observed a large, upper 40"s Muskie with a big Carp T-Boned in her jaws. She was swimming slowly and head shaking the Carp to death. This Carp was easily 20"-24" and around 5#! She looked like a Bull Dog with a bone. Made me feel stupid with my piddly bucktail.
Marc J
Posted 6/2/2007 2:00 PM (#259079 - in reply to #259078)
Subject: RE: Big bait

That's pretty sweet - I've heard that the muskies like the carp alot. Maybe a good idea for a bait color. Makes me think about the 2 pounders hanging up at Thorne, but I think I'll try the Pounder first.
Grunt Lures
Posted 6/2/2007 5:00 PM (#259087 - in reply to #259078)
Subject: Re: Big bait

I have a bunch of pictures of similar situations. But a 20-24 inch carp!!! That is awsome! Would have loved to see that one. I have a few EU pike guys that have some of my Grunts with similar stories of big pike they have seen with large meals in their mouths.
http://www.gruntmuskielures.com/WhyBigMuskyLures.html
James
muskyboy
Posted 6/2/2007 10:53 PM (#259116 - in reply to #259078)

Just more verification big baits mean big fish. Today in MN observed a dead pike that choked itself on too big of a meal!

Steve Crook
COO Big Bait Club
Grunt Lures
Posted 6/3/2007 12:14 PM (#259153 - in reply to #259078)

muskyboy-Did you get a picture? If so, please post. I love those pics of big muskie and pike with big meals.
TIA,
James
Beaver
Posted 6/3/2007 2:32 PM (#259171 - in reply to #259078)
Subject: RE: Big bait

Saw something similar on North Twin back in the early 70's, when my arsenal was some Mepps', a couple Bobbie Baits and a Radtke Pikie.
I was fishing walleyes...yes, I did then and still do....when I saw something white moving through the water just under the surface right in my direction. I strained to see what it was, but it headed right at my boat and removed all doubt.
A muskie that may have been 50". but definitely a four-footer, was swimming with a sucker sideways in it's jaws. The white that I could see from far away was the belly. The sucker stuck out 6" at least on each side. I don't know how long total, maybe 18"? The thing that impressed me was the girth of both fish. It was like she went to the grocery store and was on her way home. She was barely under the surface and swimming very slowly, and I walked along the gunnel with her and when she got to the back of the boat that was just about right on a 14' weed edge, she angled down into the dark.
It was one of the coolest incidental contacts that I've ever had in my life time.
Yup, I don't think that you could build a lure that is too big, but having to throw it might kill you.
Have to paint some Carp flavored 10"ers when I get back at it.
Beav
pamuskyhunter
Posted 6/3/2007 6:53 PM (#259189 - in reply to #259078)

I have had muskies take bass,suckers,bluegill from me right at the bank. Its how i got hooked on muskie fishing,i guess it put a great thrill in my life.
muskyboy
Posted 6/5/2007 6:13 AM (#259423 - in reply to #259078)

No picture of the pike, it was rainy like mad so not worth risking the camera. Sunday we found a big upper 40s musky floating, long dead
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)