Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> A day with the extreme one, dad, myself, and a hawg! Sunday 5/20

Message Subject: A day with the extreme one, dad, myself, and a hawg! Sunday 5/20
Magruter
Posted 5/21/2007 10:52 AM (#257113)
Subject: A day with the extreme one, dad, myself, and a hawg! Sunday 5/20

Just for a little past history, (all stories need a build up :)) Mom bought me a 1/2 day guided trip with Mike Koepp for a christmas gift. While i was thinking about how to bring with, I looked up and my Dad was pointing at himself, saying "I'll go" To be honest i can barely remember the last time i went fishing with my Dad. Well over 15 years ago. So of course i couldn't pass up the opportunity to spend a day on the water with the old man. So I booked a date without looking at tournament schedules, i just wanted to be early in the year. In hopes the muskie bug might bite him alittle. Only, to find out the WMT was that weekend (DOH!)

Back to yesterday. We got up at 5:00am to meet Mike at 6:00 and the weather dropped a good 30 degrees from Saturday. We ventured out to Pewaukee only to have a steaming lake, which in previous experiences just aren't the best conditions to catch fish.. ...Well anyways, we hit the water. After about a dozen "professional overruns" Dad is start to get the hang of casting again. The 4 hours go by from the 1/2 and you can tell Koepp isn't budging off the water. After about 6 hours of casting into dead water, we decided we needed to take a lunch break. After chewing on a sub on sank's deck (Thanks Sanks!) We ventured back out to a what a appeared to be a sunny day. We worked a couple more areas, then finally decided to head to warmer water. In our first drift i popped a small (maybe) 30 inch fish (about 2:30). Was fun, did everything a 30 inch fish should do, jump, jump, jump! Alright things are starting too look up!!!!! We finished that drift and went back for another.
After about 10 casts, I hear what appears to be broken english and a bunch of grunting.. Looking over at dad his rod is doubled over and Slob attached to the other end. Each head shakes let out a grunt. Finally the fish decided it was done with all the head shakes and decided to make some runs! Which may have caught my dad off guard, at one point I thought he was going in the drink... After a couple of runs, the fish decided to make a V-line for the trolling motor! Dad did a great job of steering the fishing away. Once he started to gain alittle ground on the fish I asked Koepp if i could net him, you could tell by his expression... "Don't F$@& this up!!!!" Finally Dad got the fish to the surface, and with a swoop of the net she was ours!!!!! After a couple minute rest in the net we pulled her out for a couple pictures, a measurement, and sent her on her marry way. Thanks Koepp for sticking it out, it was a once in the lifetime chance that... ...Well to be honest never thought would happen. The whole day was absolutely incredible! You hear it all time, "it only takes one cast" well now I'm a firm believer.

Edited by Magruter 5/21/2007 5:10 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Jack's 49.JPG)

(Jack's 49a.JPG)

(Jack's 49 release..JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Jack's 49.JPG (106KB - 173 downloads)
Attachments Jack's 49a.JPG (120KB - 185 downloads)
Attachments Jack's 49 release..JPG (127KB - 171 downloads)
sworrall
Posted 5/21/2007 10:55 AM (#257116 - in reply to #257113)
Subject: Re: A day with the extreme one, dad and myself on Sunday 5/20

Great story, great pictures, and another 'Extreme' fish in the Frabill! Congratulations to your Dad.
Troyz.
Posted 5/21/2007 10:57 AM (#257117 - in reply to #257113)
Subject: RE: A day with the extreme one, dad and myself on Sunday 5/20

Great Job guys, no doubt about it Mike is a great guy, and spending a day with him on the water is sure to be a great time.

Troyz
sorenson
Posted 5/21/2007 10:59 AM (#257118 - in reply to #257113)

Too cool...nice fish too.
S.
JCJ
Posted 5/21/2007 11:04 AM (#257119 - in reply to #257113)

Cool story. Nice fish...and Koepp is a great guy, hope to get out with him sometime.

MuskyHopeful
Posted 5/21/2007 11:17 AM (#257122 - in reply to #257119)

Nice day for the Allen family! Way to get 'em one, Professor.

Kevin

MUSKYLUND1
Posted 5/21/2007 11:21 AM (#257123 - in reply to #257113)

Scott,
Thanks for sharing that story and the photos. How big was your Dad's fish and what did she eat? That's a memory that the two of you can share for a long time. My Dad is 81 and I treasure the time we get to fish together. Only 1 month until our Canada trip.

I was out on Oconomowoc on Saturday morning. I boated one small northern, but never saw a musky. The weeds are still very sparse and the water was extremely clear. I did find some largemouths in shallow water, but alas I left all my bass gear at home.

Tom
ESfishOX
Posted 5/21/2007 11:34 AM (#257125 - in reply to #257113)

sweet deal Magruter. Glad it all came together. So when are you helping dad pick out the new glass boat?
mikie
Posted 5/21/2007 11:42 AM (#257127 - in reply to #257125)

Hey, anybody who will take their old man out fishing is just all right! You could not have picked a better guide service, congrats on a day you and dad will remember forever. m
Mikes Extreme
Posted 5/21/2007 1:41 PM (#257160 - in reply to #257127)

Scott that was one long morning of fishing to with no action. I was determined to get you guys on some fish!!!

A nice bass, two small muskies and a very nice 49-incher for your dad and you to talk about for years to come was my reward. Both you and your dad were fun to fish with. I new with the pounding the WMT did on the lake the day before and the major drop in the air temps we were in for a tough day. Both of you stuck it out and were rewarded with some action as the fish came out of thier funk.

Congrats to Jack Allen on his first muskie caught and released. It was also his first time muskies fishing. Beginners luck? Don't know but he deserved it because he kept casting and worked the baits the way we showed him they should be worked. Jack earned that fish for sure. I was hopefull that Scott would have scored a good fish but I am sure he was proud of his dad and happy he caught it.

Scott "Maguter" will get his monsters. He had the tools and the confidance to make that happen.
RUMBLEFISH
Posted 5/21/2007 2:08 PM (#257164 - in reply to #257113)

Gruter ... Glad to hear your story !! Very cool for you and your Dad , a day you'll both remember for the rest of your lifes !! Nice fish !!!! Man it sure looks ALOT nicer weather than what I had fishing the Fox Chain yesterday !!!! Congrats to you and your Dad !! Make sure you tell your Mom thanks for hooking you up with Koepp !!!
Ben Kueng
Posted 5/21/2007 3:12 PM (#257173 - in reply to #257113)

Nice work Mike!!! Sweet fish guys!!
sworrall
Posted 5/21/2007 3:15 PM (#257174 - in reply to #257113)

And now it's a cover shot!
RiverMan
Posted 5/21/2007 3:39 PM (#257175 - in reply to #257113)

Congrats to both of you!

jed v.
Magruter
Posted 5/21/2007 5:19 PM (#257195 - in reply to #257113)
Subject: Re: A day with the extreme one, dad, myself, and a hawg! Sunday 5/20

Love the cover shot! Thanks Steve.
Tom,
As Mike said a very heathly 49 inches!
Bytor
Posted 5/21/2007 5:46 PM (#257199 - in reply to #257195)

Congrats...awesome fish.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 5/21/2007 5:48 PM (#257200 - in reply to #257195)

Very cool cover shot. I got to get my hands on that picture. Thanks Scott and Steve for the post and pictures. Good memories!!!
Shep
Posted 5/22/2007 1:21 PM (#257325 - in reply to #257200)

That's why he is........ Capt. Extreme!! Awesome job, and an incredible day for you and your Dad, Scott. Really jealous of you, now.
Magruter
Posted 5/23/2007 7:35 AM (#257447 - in reply to #257113)
Subject: RE: A day with the extreme one, dad, myself, and a hawg! Sunday 5/20

Thought I'd share one more. A couple nice sharp ones in there.

(Chompers!!.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Chompers!!.JPG (108KB - 180 downloads)
sputterbug
Posted 5/23/2007 1:16 PM (#257545 - in reply to #257113)

Magruter,

Awesome fish, and great story! Glad you got to share that experience with your Dad. That's the way every muskie story should end.
KARLOUTDOORS
Posted 5/23/2007 10:14 PM (#257615 - in reply to #257447)
Subject: RE: A day with the extreme one, dad, myself, and a hawg! Sunday 5/20

Scott,
Wise choice in taking pops along. 15 years in passing is way too long. Cool to see the day turn out successful and the fish I'm sure were the bonus. Never had the chance to fish with my dad. I would give anything for that chance. Not looking for sympathy. What I am getting at is I now spend time with my nieces and nephews teaching them what little I know. No kids of my own but they'll fill the bill just fine. Passing it on to anyone is a great thing....keep in mind it doesnt have to be a child. Cant wait to get the okay to put a bow in the boys hands as well. They've taken to fishing....archery will be next.
Karl
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)