Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Muskie vision
 
Message Subject: Muskie vision

Posted 3/25/2002 8:29 PM (#944)
Subject: Muskie vision


The three muskie taken at the cave in the high muddy (chocolate milk) water were taken on a Spinnerbait, rattletraps and a Slammer deep diver. All of which give out lots of vibration.

Maybe I should not have used glide baits as much.[;)]

Only exception...Worrall lost two on glide baits on Saturday.

How can a muskie see a glide bait and how far can they sence it in that muddy water?

Posted 3/25/2002 8:46 PM (#27262)
Subject: Muskie vision


I think noise/vibration/water movement/and color are the attractor,but site is always the clincher in the last 18" in THE SOUP!Myself as I said before you guys left that a FUNKY CHICKEN or others would kick in those conditions but throw the slammer in there puzzles me?(must move some water?)Will be ordering some deep-divers a.s.a.p!Man o` man after reading all the posts seems I really missed out!Glad you guys had a great time,will re-think my work situation to NOT miss out next time! The CAVE,what a CHALLANGE I would like to undertake! For you guys that don`t fish the soup much,IT AIN`T EASY IS IT! Jeff

Posted 3/25/2002 10:22 PM (#27263)
Subject: Muskie vision


I would imagine that all of those fish caught, the lure was put right in front of their nose.

How deep of water were these fish caught? i would imagine most were shallow but the slammer probably was not.

Posted 3/26/2002 9:21 AM (#27264)
Subject: Muskie vision


I feel that fish find your lure presintation first by sound and second by sight. If you think about it, live bait or natrual forage (suckers,minnows,ect.) make next to nothing for sound and muskie's have no problum finding these. I think they can feel the vibration from far away and do not have to see the bait.

As far as why the glide bait did not work for you, maybe the fish did not want a zig zag or twitched presentation and wanted more of a straight retrieve on that day. YOU SHOULD HAVE USED ALL OF THE SLAMMER DIVER"S THAT I GAVE YOU BEFORE YOU LEFT!!!!!

Posted 3/26/2002 10:39 AM (#27265)
Subject: Muskie vision


The fish that Lone Wolf caught on the Slammer deep diver was caught trolling the Zilpo flats in 16' of water (used to be the shoreline). He was banging bottom with it when the fish hit. The bait does have a lot of vibration, thumped his rod pretty good, but making contact with the bottom I think also helped to trigger the fish. CAn't wait for next year, Iowa outing in 31 days !!!!!! [:bigsmile:]

Posted 3/26/2002 11:34 AM (#27266)
Subject: Muskie vision


I did Bill, infact alot. I twitched Slammer deep divers down the banks. The real problem we had on the trip was you could not reach the banks. The treeline was in the way. Sometimes you could flip or underhand pitch the baits under the trees to reach the bank, but many logs, and leaves were in the way and made this very hard.

Trying to reach the bank thru 15ft of woods is not very easy. Then you had to make sure the trees would not fall on you too..LOL[:bigsmile:]

Posted 3/26/2002 9:49 PM (#27267)
Subject: Muskie vision


I want a bait that has a voice box...that plays "eat me, I am over here".

But it would only work in KY if you would have to have it on the southern draw mode.

LOL[:bigsmile:]

Posted 3/30/2002 11:01 PM (#27268)
Subject: Muskie vision



HEY JASON!

HERE'S MY 2 CENTS....

MUSKY HAVE AN "EXCELLENT" SENSE OF VISION, ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT. THEY MUST ALSO RELY ON THE LATERAL LINE AS WELL. I READ A STUDY THAT TESTED BLIND SUBJECTS AND THEY WERE STILL EXTREMELY ACCURATE IN LOCATING PREY. IT SUGGESTS THEY DON'T REALLY RELY ON THE VISUAL CONTACT AS MUCH AS THEY DO THE LATERAL PERCEPTION. REFERED TO AS "BLIND SIGHT",IT'S KINDA LIKE A BLIND PERSON THAT "SENSED" SOMEONE WAS THERE, WITH OUT MAKING A VISUAL CONNECTION. THEY USE THE "OTHER" SENSES SUCH AS SOUND,TOUCH/MOVEMENT AND SMELL.IN RESPONSE THEY TURN IN THAT DIRECTION.I'M NOT AN EXPERT OR A BIOLOGIST,OR A FISH FOR THAT MATTER BUT MY EXPERIENCE IS THAT IT SEEMS TO BE A COMBINATION OF ALL 3 (SIGHT,SOUND,SMELL). ONE DOESN'T SEEM TO BE ANY MORE/LESS IMPORTANT THAN THE OTHER. BUT I BELIEVE THE LATERAL LINE IS THE FIRST TO COME INTO PLAY, BUT ALL 3 ARE ESSENTIAL IN TRIGGERING A STRIKE!
JUST MY OPINION...... [;)]

THE STUDY I REFERED TO WAS DONE AT LOYOLA/CHICAGO AND CAN BE FOUND AT......http://www.milwaukee-muskies-inc.org/strike_feeding_behaviour.pdf1.pdf
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)