|
|
| With all this talk about leaders, has anyone else ever tried to bite through spider wire? I haven't used a leader for more than 25 years now, even with mono. The only breakoffs I have had were at the knott which exists whether I have a leader or not. I have been using spider wire for the last ten years with no breakoffs near the lure.
Granted I am not a guide watching some amateur out for his one day a year. I also use lighter tackle than is usually recommended in musky discussions and I don't try to break the rod when I set the hook.
25 years ago while at Lake Nippissing in Canada I realized that I didn't like the way all of that hardware immediately in front of the lure effected the action of some of my lures. I also have tried mono with no leaders on baracuda, who have a mouth full of teeth that would shame a musky, with no problems.
Any other heretics out there? |
|
| |
|
| Wondering if you cast or/and troll? I do use a leader, but am considering going without one for trolling. Seems to me that the trolling lures are big enough to avoid the fish cutting the line. I use heavy braided line.
I've heard from some people that a leader is not necessary for trolling (fish do not usually roll in the line when trolling) but a leader is necessary for casting. I've also heard that the problem with line breakage/cutting is not really from their teeth, but more likely from them "rolling in the line" and their gill rakers cutting the line.
I agree with you that the extra hardware does interfer with some lures. |
|
| |
|
| muskiekid
I looked at your web page. Very nice.
I am from Wisconsin so most of my Musky fishing has been casting. I am a big fan of spinners and even use some without bucktail. In any event whether the perceived problem is teeth or gills, I have had few if any problems that I can attribute to the lack of a leader. |
|
| |