Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> New Ohio Wildlife chief

Message Subject: New Ohio Wildlife chief
mikie
Posted 4/18/2007 12:39 PM (#251402)
Subject: New Ohio Wildlife chief

I found this in the news today. He's got big shoes to fill, for sure, Steve Gray was excellent in that position:

Graham named chief of Ohio Division of Wildlife
Intends to involve more women, youth

Graham

Zoom | Photo Reprints

By STEVE POLLICK
BLADE OUTDOORS EDITOR

David M. Graham has been named chief of the Ohio Division of Wildlife, succeeding Steve Gray, who retired March 31 after a 31-year division career, including almost four years as chief.

Graham, 53, has been an assistant chief of the division in charge of fisheries and wildlife management and research, law enforcement, and information and education since 2003. His appointment to one of the most high-profile positions in the Ohio Department of Natural Resources was announced yesterday to the division staff.

"We're fortunate to find a chief such as Dave," said Sean Logan, the new ODNR director under Gov. Ted Strickland. "I'm really looking forward to working with him. In the last three months I've found him to be very knowledgeable and passionate."

In a prepared statement, Logan noted that "the demographics of Ohio sportsmen and women are changing. We are fortunate to find a new chief who has both the willingness to adapt and the skills to lead the division through the inevitable period of change that lies ahead. Graham has shown the readiness to serve the state's outdoor sports community while recognizing the Division of Wildlife's role in the larger context of what is best for Ohio."

The division manages 155 named wildlife areas, the fisheries resources in 160,000 acres of inland lakes, 2.25 million acres of Lake Erie, and 451 miles of Ohio River.

"I'm pretty thrilled about it," Graham said yesterday about becoming chief. He added that overall the division is tracking well. "We're guided by a good long-range plan and we're not going to make any left turns."

He pledged to remain steadfast in support of traditional division supporters - hunters, anglers, and trappers. "We're not going to forget who brought us to the dance - I'm one of them."

But he intends to look for new avenues of support for and participation in division programs by including nontraditional constituents and by boosting even further recruitment of women and youth participants.

The post of chief is "the culmination of a lifelong dream," Graham said. "I never wanted to do anything else."

In another ODNR appointment, Logan also recently announced that Steven M. Maurer of Bexley will be the new chief of the Ohio Division of Natural Areas and Preserves.

Maurer is to oversee operations of the state's 131 nature preserves and coordinate protection of the state's 13 scenic river corridors. His duties also include monitoring of the state's natural heritage database of endangered and threatened plants.

Also an OSU graduate, Maurer was state director of the federal Farm Service Agency from 1993 to 2001 and was director of the Ohio Department of Agriculture from 1986 to 1991. More recently he was interim director of the Ohio Farmer's Union in 2003 and president of the American Center for German Culture in 2006 and 2007.

During his tenure at the Farm Service Agency he initiated the Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program for Lake Erie's watershed to conserve soil and reduce erosion by planting trees and buffer strips along streams in 27 counties.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)