Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> I want your picture of MN muskies with spear marks

Message Subject: I want your picture of MN muskies with spear marks
lambeau
Posted 3/30/2007 4:13 PM (#248108 - in reply to #248106)
Subject: Re: I want your picture of MN muskies with spear marks

But look closely at the pictures

for what exactly?
it's legal to spear muskies in Michigan.
Muskie Treats
Posted 3/31/2007 2:55 PM (#248216 - in reply to #247595)

MI can't get a lobbiest due to the fact that we're a 401C3 non-profit organization. However the MMA is not a 401C3 and CAN get a lobbiest. That's one issue we've been debating as to whether we'd see a payoff if we got a lobbiest. The big thing is that we need to get some people well versed in the political arena or get in good with a "pro muskie" politician. It's a hard and time consuming game to learn much less excel. We need that presence badly since Frank's passing.

A survey has already gone out to the anglers that purchased fishing licenses that inquires about their muskie fishing habits. There's a whole series of questions concerning our spending habits. I had to blush when I filled mine out. Needless to say I've put myself on credit hold for the next couple months be create a better balance in my spending.

Castmaster, drop me a line @ [email protected]. I've got some emails I can send you.
esoxaddict
Posted 4/2/2007 11:10 AM (#248461 - in reply to #248108)

I don't see any proof that those pictures weren't taken in MN
Muskiefool
Posted 4/2/2007 5:37 PM (#248533 - in reply to #247595)

Heres the bad news Treats the DNR has seen all the pics, and in this Atomic age of digital photography pictures are worthless, in talking to a gentlemen that brought some pics to them, they say they could be altered, they need a body of evidence, this is particularly important on a lake that most want to run from and thats French, if you are on that lake and catch a fish that has been poked call the DNR office in Watertown immediately and tell them you want to talk to Hugh,Mark or a CO, and find out if they want it dead if it's a legal, or if they will come out to view it in a live well for release, they may have a problem with that too who knows, we need to show that the lifting of this spearing ban is causing damage, if it is, thats why we asked for a spring 2008 survey and increased patrols on and around spearing opener, they want our designated lakes, they want to kill all the trophy Pike and have a proven method in Rep Brode from New Prague, I'll just bet they try for a biggie this May, who is watching the gate this year, Ive looked through some of the proposed bills but it takes allot of time, is there a way or is the Fish and Wildlife Legislative Alliance looking for bills with spearing issues coming across the table.
Muskie Treats
Posted 4/2/2007 6:25 PM (#248539 - in reply to #248533)

The DNR is looking into it right now. I was trying to contact Erv, but the email I have for him is no good. If you have his contact info send it over. I'd like to have a talk with him and stress that if they try to undesignate the lakes like they did last year they're going to be taking a HUGE step in the wrong direction and could even end up with both of our clubs wasting out time fighting each other instead of doing something productive.
Muskiefool
Posted 4/2/2007 10:28 PM (#248589 - in reply to #248539)

I'll get it and call ya but I bet ya they are going for it on a big lake
esoxcpr
Posted 4/5/2007 8:34 PM (#249130 - in reply to #247595)
Subject: RE: I want your picture of MN muskies with spear marks

And what exactly do you hope to accomplish with pictures of muskies that are caught by anglers with spear marks? That's the same old tired argument that's been whined about in Wisconsin by walleye and musky anglers alike.

All it proves is that if a mistake is occasionally made by a spearer of any nationality, the musky (or walleye in Wisconsin's case) will have a good chance at healing and living out it's life normally. By collecting those pictures you are providing even more evidence that the spearers are not hurting much of anything, which they aren't.

It's quite likely that MI members probably kill more muskies each year from delayed mortality or fishing in water that's too warm than are accidentally (or purposely) killed by spearers. It's very evident that musky anglers are the ones who started the animosity, and now that it's backfiring in their face they still fail to realize they simply need to let it go and back off.

The earlier analogy was very accurate. If you poke a bees nest with a stick, the bees will get mad and come out looking for a fight. If you leave that bees nest alone, you and the bees peacefully cooexist and rarely if ever bother each other.
castmaster
Posted 4/5/2007 10:00 PM (#249148 - in reply to #247595)

Treats,
sent you an email, maybe it got blocked by your spam blocker or something?

anyway you can email me at [email protected]
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)