Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> scent?

Message Subject: scent?
ghitierman
Posted 3/9/2007 4:28 PM (#243774)
Subject: scent?

How come they sell all sorts of bass baits that smell and sprays and such but nothing designed specifically for ski's? Is scent not an issue? I went to a salmon seminar the other day and the guy was saying that he goes so far as to not allow food in the boat. Everybody has to wash their hands befor even getting on his boat. First off is this guy a freak? If not does it matter for ski's at all?
Hammskie
Posted 3/14/2007 5:12 PM (#244818 - in reply to #243774)
Subject: Re: scent?

Try some of this... new for 2007... the big girls can't resist.
http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=...
sworrall
Posted 3/15/2007 9:32 PM (#245062 - in reply to #244818)

Muskies do not have what might be considered a highly developed sense of smell; they are primarily sight/vibration feeders, to put it too simply. I wouldn't be too concerned about scents on one's hands.
reelman
Posted 3/19/2007 8:42 AM (#245645 - in reply to #243774)

First off the guy with the food and salmon thing was a freak! I don't know who you are talking about but that is getting just WAY to carried away!

As for muskys and there sence of smell I have been involved with scent testing different scents on different species f fish in a laboratory setting. Without boring you with details I will say this. Musky and Northern are one of the least conserned fish when it comes to scent. I find it odd considering that they follow baits so long I would think that they are trying to get a good smell of it but that is not the case.

Catfish are the supreme scent orientated fish! They have taste buds along there entire body, they literally taste with there fins and tail as well as with there mouth! Carp are big into taste as are trout and salmon but not like catfish. Walleye's and panfish are next on the list and finally musky and northerns.

Another thing to remember is that fish smell different then us. Many thiings that we can smell and taste they can not. How else do you explain that anything would choose to live in the Fox River if it could smell or taste the water in there! HAHA! Many scent molecules are to big to fit into a fish's taste buds so they can not taste it at all. Most oil molocules are to big for them to taste, so if the scent is in oil for the most part fish can't smell or taste it.
Ranger
Posted 3/31/2007 8:52 PM (#248263 - in reply to #243774)

This topic has been raised a lot over the past few years. Informed opinion is that scent doesn't matter much to a muskie. Nevertheless, I was my hands wit tooth paste after I'm done putting the boat in and fooling around with the motor.

There is a scent product that works for our baits. Forget the name off hand, but it is like vasoline, smear it on the bait and it stays there. Gander sells it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)