Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> But......Do they catch fish?

Message Subject: But......Do they catch fish?
Steve Jonesi
Posted 2/26/2007 1:18 PM (#241602)
Subject: But......Do they catch fish?

It seems that there are a ton of new baits on the market that seem to be promoted like crazy, but the question remains.Do they catch fish? I had a client this Fall who had a new large crankbait in a "custom" color.That bait wasn't in the water for 5 minutes, when the body cracked and the fancy paint was ready to come off in sheets.Are the manufacturers doing research and development or just trying to cash in on the current market.I go to some of the websites and there are NO fish pics either.What gives?Pretenders or contenders? Steve
sworrall
Posted 2/26/2007 1:25 PM (#241603 - in reply to #241602)
Subject: RE: But......Do they catch fish?

That's the lure market, Steve. One has to begin somewhere. If the lure builder stood behind that crank bait and fixed/replaced it, he's a contender.

Pretty doesn't catch fish, but sure helps catch us. If the lure runs well, it will catch muskies.
Steve Jonesi
Posted 2/26/2007 1:33 PM (#241605 - in reply to #241602)
Subject: Re: But......Do they catch fish?

I agree 100%.I will catch a fish this season on a Brat(Johnsonville) attatched to a quickstrike, just to prove a point. Steve
Magruter
Posted 2/26/2007 1:47 PM (#241608 - in reply to #241602)

I was thinking about the same thing Steve, but unfortunately i don't get to spend as much time on the water as you do. I'll forward to seeing a picture of a fish with a brat coming out it's mouth.. Are you going to pre-cook it? :P
sputterbug
Posted 2/26/2007 1:54 PM (#241609 - in reply to #241602)

Jonesi,

Is that the cheese-filled or original? Can you get me a jumbo one in the custom chargrilled pattern? LOL.

I think muskie anglers are bigger suckers than most for the "new bait" thing. We all look for that slight edge and maybe suffer the illusion that a new bait will do it. I vote wait a year to let the cream rise to the top.
Steve Jonesi
Posted 2/26/2007 1:55 PM (#241610 - in reply to #241602)

It will be a cheese filled for sure. Steve
Shep
Posted 2/26/2007 1:58 PM (#241611 - in reply to #241608)

Brat, schmat! Whatever happened to the Pickle Challunge. I want to see that one resurrected. I say at the Rhinelander outing. Build a bait out of a pickle, and catch a fish on it. Winner gets????

I know Jason and Cady were always threatening to do this, back in the day. Steve, if you're at the outing, I'll challenge you. Any others?

Lots of baits being promoted out there, but are they really selling that many? I know the Weagle/Wabull sold alot because of the hype. But they also performed. And the XXX and the Cowgirls seemed to have performed last year too. What baits have been hyped alot, but haven't performed yet?
Magruter
Posted 2/26/2007 2:02 PM (#241613 - in reply to #241602)

Reelfish? I haven't heard of too many fish being caught on those. I always here bulldawg, etc...
bn
Posted 2/26/2007 2:02 PM (#241614 - in reply to #241602)

that reef hawg twist was the big talk last winter..what happened to it? didn't hear boo about it all year..

What are the "hot baits" this winter? Really I'm not hearing about much except maybe the Rumbler being a hot new topwater? The longer you are into musky fishing the less you get caught up in having to have the new baits as you get confidence with the ones you have...
Professional Edge
Posted 2/26/2007 2:13 PM (#241624 - in reply to #241614)

I like this post Steve because it is something that I struggled with late last year when I decided to build the Krook as a product for sale. You see the Krook is a bait only my dad and I fished with this year so I do not have 100 pictures of big fish caught on it. I think I would have kept this bait to myself after having one of my best years but it really came down to a bunch of people fishing with me that watched it work and they were asking for one. It is my belief it is a different bait and if I did not build it myself it was only a matter of time before somebody else took my design and made it for sale.

I personally did not take building a bait lightly. I talked to some of the best musky bait builders after the season for their input on my final design and took many of their recommendation.

Having said that, I would put the Krook in a “Pretender” category until the season starts. History will be the judge. If it stays that way I still have a bait to throw myself.

Keith
esoxaddict
Posted 2/26/2007 2:29 PM (#241630 - in reply to #241602)

Time will tell...

Hype only goes so far. Pretty paint jobs only go so far. When you start seeing them at the swap meets, on every table, it's a safe bet that that particular bait falls into the "not so much" category.

Some people will go to unbelievable lengths to promote their products, (like using your picture on their website with a fabricated story about how you caught your first musky on their lure) but in the end? The good ones remain.

How do you work a pine cone?

Edited by esoxaddict 2/26/2007 2:42 PM
sworrall
Posted 2/26/2007 2:30 PM (#241631 - in reply to #241630)

I'll TAKE that challenge Shep, but I'm using a Pine cone. I use a pine cone. you use a pickle. I'll catch fish. So will you....
Bukes
Posted 2/26/2007 2:43 PM (#241635 - in reply to #241631)

Took a friend who doesn't fish much to a subdivision pond back in the day. Told him to bring some hotdogs or bacon to use for spur of the moment bait. Pick him up and he comes to the car with some bacon and a baggie of hamburger pickles. I asked him WTF? He says, well it looks like something you would find on the bottom of the lake. We get to the lake, he puts a whole pickle on his hook and casts it out... a few seconds later his rod doubles over and he lands his biggest bass ever... ON A FREAKING PICKLE. Ever since I have wanted to bring a jar of pickle juice out to dip my lures in for scent to see if that success can be duplicated.

2007.... the Year of the Pickle
esoxaddict
Posted 2/26/2007 2:49 PM (#241638 - in reply to #241602)

Provided that the pickle has through wire construction and quality components, I'd say it may just work! Might not want to store it in your lakewood with your other lures though...
jclymer
Posted 2/26/2007 2:51 PM (#241639 - in reply to #241602)

The biggest largemouth bass I have ever seen from a midwest lake (over 8 lbs in Michigan about 15 years ago)
I was up at the family cabin in Michigan, younger cousin was fishing with a half of hotdog on a bobber off the dock!!!
schrump
Posted 2/26/2007 3:53 PM (#241658 - in reply to #241639)

Maybe the hotdog is the next hot bait! My dad, brothers and I were fishing the BWCA a few years back. On our last day my brother and I ran out of bait. We were a couple miles behind my dad and other bro and didn't feel like trying to catch up with them. We got the stupid idea of cutting up hotdogs and rigged 'em on spinners. Walleyes loved our hotdog treats so much we ran out of dogs!
Final score:
hotdogs 22 fish boated
live bait 13 fish boated
FYGR8
Posted 2/26/2007 4:22 PM (#241665 - in reply to #241605)

I think hotdogs will work better! Especially Ballpark Franks!
The Wanderer
Posted 2/26/2007 7:06 PM (#241687 - in reply to #241613)

Magruter

I see you asking about the Realfish. I have found some pros and cons to the bait. I threw the sucker realfish more than any of the others and it looks great in the water. It worked great buzzing it over the weeds and I got some fish to hit right behind another boat that had just fished the same spot. Now the cons. The back treble hook gets caught up on the tail the majority of the time even after stopping the bait before it hits the water. The other major problem was loosing a nice 40" fish halfway in because the hooks straightened out. The hooks on the realfish are junk, and hopefully and I can save somebody the pain of loosing a fish the way I did. It is a must to change those hooks out. Just my thought on the subject, but they look great in the water.
IntroC
Posted 2/26/2007 7:24 PM (#241694 - in reply to #241602)

Hotdogs are a good bait in the Dakotas for pike through the ice. Some of them old germans swear by them.
woodieb8
Posted 2/26/2007 8:12 PM (#241703 - in reply to #241602)

many try to cash in on hype. dedicated builders will stand behind whats built. the problem is some give up before they undestand the learing curve and paint adherence. i have a motto.
i have never seen a fish buy a bait. oh ya guys doughballs are hot here in warm weather
mskyhntr
Posted 2/26/2007 8:40 PM (#241707 - in reply to #241602)

Back before I started musky fishing, my dad and I were on Lake Wisconsin fishing
walleye's we were having a good day and ran out of leaches....I like gummy worms so I decided to use gummy worms since we had no leaches...guess what it worked...caught three eyes on those worms...just goes to show anything and everything will work when the time is right.
Jason N
Posted 2/27/2007 9:05 PM (#241930 - in reply to #241602)

Steve,

I would love to see you catch that fish on the brat Steve, can you wait till the end of September?

nelly
Muskies Vs Mike
Posted 2/28/2007 12:12 AM (#241966 - in reply to #241602)

Love the Brat Idea, only one problem i see. What if you don't catch a muskie on that johnsonville but instead you catch... John Gillespie or Steve Heiting. LOL
Try reeling them in.

As far as the pickle goes maybe you could put it on one of those Think Big "Casting and Trolling Systems" wire lures for dead bait. You can buy them from rollie and hellens.

Mike Warren

Edited by Muskies Vs Mike 2/28/2007 10:00 AM
Reelwise
Posted 2/28/2007 2:34 AM (#241968 - in reply to #241966)

LOL

I have no doubt that you can catch a muskie on a brat. Bass sure do like hotdogs

I like to stick to the basic baits most of the time with locating fish being the first thing on my mind. Its nice to have two people in the boat throwing different lures.

I have not heard anything about the realfish either... Its basically a big twister tail, but those 6" Kalins grubs sure do work so why not?

Edited by Reelwise 2/28/2007 2:36 AM
MuskyStalker
Posted 2/28/2007 11:40 AM (#242032 - in reply to #241602)

I'll be "walking the hotdog" this summer. I saw a film about deep south bassers catchinh bass on a topwater bait made from a potato.

Edited by MuskyStalker 2/28/2007 11:41 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)