Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "In a few hours this place will be crawling with humans" Larry Dahlberg-Hunt For Big Fish
- (Added by: Rudedog)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Patenting a lure

Message Subject: Patenting a lure
CowgirlAddict
Posted 2/2/2007 11:21 AM (#235805)
Subject: Patenting a lure

do you guys who come up with a new bait try to get a Patent on it??

so nobody can out right steal your idea??
sworrall
Posted 2/2/2007 11:34 AM (#235810 - in reply to #235805)
Subject: RE: Patenting a lure

It's possible, but all one has to do is change just a bit og the original, and there's your copy.
jlong
Posted 2/2/2007 12:14 PM (#235817 - in reply to #235810)

I have two patents.... and therefore have gone through the process. In my opinion, trying to patent a musky lure would be a complete waste of money. Sworrall already pointed out the obvious..... and even if you hired a very very good Patent Lawyer.... who would be VERY expensive I might add.... it would be difficult to fully protect yourself from "similar yet different" designs popping up in the Market.
muskymike68
Posted 2/2/2007 2:14 PM (#235853 - in reply to #235805)

I have a utility patent on my bait concept which is broader in scope than the design patent. Generally, the design patent covers exactly how somethings looks. Change it 10%, and there's probably no infringement. Utility patents cover the way something is used. It's harder to get the utility patent, but it's also harder to get around it. Nothing is black or white. That's why we have lawyers to debate all the minute details. There's also a difference in patent life, I believe it's 17 for the design and 20 for the utility. No consider the foreign country patents and now we're really talking some cash.

As Jason pointed out, very time consuming and $$$$. I have over 10K into mine (patent searches, provisional patent, drawings, filing fees....) and have yet to sell 1 bait. Search the USPTO for an idea of what's out there, but most patents aren't disclosed until 18 months or so after they been granted.

Grunt Lures
Posted 2/2/2007 6:00 PM (#235926 - in reply to #235853)

I have 6 under my belt and a few pending. IMO you are better off submitting a provisional and then shopping your idea around. You can still add to it or change it slightly. Stays away from the public eye for 18 months. If your idea is good it is worth it in my opinion. You could even get some funds from the company you take it to. If they like it you could take some of the royalties and let them pay for it all. Just an idea.

I have an idea right now for a lure and it should work for all types. If I were only looking at the muskie world I doubt I would ever pay off the patent costs. You can do a lot on your own to save money though through the patent process. With that said, all of mine went though IP attorneys. I also only know enough to be dangerous! lol

James

Edited by Grunt Lures 2/2/2007 6:01 PM
CharlieTeuton
Posted 2/4/2007 7:24 AM (#236237 - in reply to #235805)

The following is offered to aid a person who is considering patenting their idea. As a musky fisherman I am an enthusiast/journeyman, but in the intellectual property arena I qualify as an expert [i.e. a person who has been paid by patent/intellectual property attorneys for his knowledge/opinion].
Potentially, the largest financial cost to a patent holder is the cost of defending a patent. If one has an invention worth substantial money, one needs deep pockets to fend off infringers & those seeking to have your patent overturned by challenge [yes, issued U. S. patents have been canceled]. Companies play hardball when it comes to profit!
Having a patent is good for the ego, but I doubt whether any musky-related patent is financially rewarding in the long run on a cost/benefit basis. If one insists on attempting to patent something, one should, at least, be familiar with the following terms: patent pending, patent allowed, patent issued, claims allowed, and “non obvious to one skilled in the art”.
Having stated my opinion on the issue, I have patents, but not angling-related.
Muskie Bob
Posted 2/4/2007 11:51 AM (#236291 - in reply to #235805)

Several years ago, it may be many now, I read an article that recommended small lure manufactures use "copy rights". They cost a lot less and provided about as much protection. Of course, if you have a very unusual product, a patent may be worth it.

Just a thought...you may want to look into what "copy rights" provide.
Grunt Lures
Posted 2/4/2007 12:14 PM (#236295 - in reply to #236237)

CharlieTeuton-Good points. That is why I believe if you have a good idea for hte fishign world your lure/idea better have moree applications tahn just muskies. IMO you need at least bass and walleye users and then salt water fishign if you really want to make sure you make enough $$$ to fend off infringers. That is why it is a good idea to "get into bed" with a large company (Rapala, etc.)

JMO,
James
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)